Skip to Content
1. Subject to the provisions of the Education Act 1989 and to the provisions of these Regulations, the Academic Board may admit any person with equivalent status to candidature in any degree or other academic qualification or part thereof. Admission with equivalent status (AES) means 'admission granted to applicants with the status equivalent to that of the holder of the required qualification'. AES admission is usually programme-specific and may have conditions attached.
2. An applicant for Admission with Equivalent Status shall lodge an Application by the published due dates in order for the applications to be fully considered and processed.
3. The Academic Board (or its delegate) may grant admission to a sub-degree diploma or sub-degree certificate based on the published admission requirements. In the case of holders of overseas diplomas or certificates, applications shall be considered on the basis of academic work completed and not on qualifications obtained. Credit may be awarded for tertiary study on the basis of the Recognition of Formal and Informal Prior Learning regulations.
4. The Academic Board may grant admission to an undergraduate degree, diploma or certificate, or for a certificate of proficiency in a course of any degree, with status equivalent to that of a person academically qualified for entrance to a university in New Zealand on the basis of study at a secondary or tertiary institution in New Zealand or overseas. In the case of holders of overseas diplomas or certificates, applications shall be considered on the basis of academic work completed and not on qualifications obtained. Credit may be awarded for tertiary study on the basis of the Recognition of Formal and Informal Prior Learning regulations.
5. Admission for international students to study at Massey University at the first year undergraduate degree level is by:
(a) completing in their home country a qualification recognised in New Zealand as equivalent to the New Zealand University entrance standard; OR
(b) completing work in their home country recognised in New Zealand as equivalent to the New Zealand University entrance standard; OR
(c) attending secondary school in New Zealand and achieving the University entrance standard; OR
(d) completing a foundation programme at a University in New Zealand; OR
(e) completing a foundation programme offered by a non-University provider in New Zealand and that programme is recognised by Universities in New Zealand,
AND where applicable having the minimum English language requirements specified for entrance to the University and qualification,
AND by meeting the requirements to study a specific qualification.
6. Admission with Graduate Status for Postgraduate Qualifications
The Academic Board may grant a candidate admission to the status of the holder of a degree with the right to proceed to a specific higher diploma or higher degree with or without Honours, provided that the applicant complies with any prerequisite prescribed or required by Academic Board for such degree or diploma. The University will only consider applications for admission with equivalent status to postgraduate qualifications on the basis of completed academic work that is equivalent, or substantially corresponds to coursework in this University.
7. Admission with Graduate Status for Graduate Qualifications
Academic Board may grant a candidate admission to the status of the holder of a degree with the right to proceed to a specific graduate diploma or certificate, to an applicant who demonstrates practical, professional or scholarly experience of an appropriate kind and equivalent to that of a graduate. The applicant may be required to comply with any prerequisite prescribed for such diploma or certificate, or for any specific course.
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Wednesday 04 January 2017