Skip to Content
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees, Undergraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified; and shall
(b) have been awarded or qualified for a Bachelor's degree of at least 360 credits, or equivalent; and
(c) hold a qualification(s) approved by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand as appropriate for entry; and
(d) have completed approved courses at Level 7 or Level 8 in at least one subject area deemed suitable for teaching in New Zealand secondary schools;
(e) have demonstrated competence in literacy and numeracy; and
(f) have achieved an Academic IELTS score of at least 7.0 with no band less than 7.0 within the preceding two years, if English is not the applicant's first language; and
(g) have met the requirements for registration as set down by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand, in terms of in terms of good character and fitness to be a teacher.
2. Admission to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) will be granted or withheld on consideration of the admission requirements specified under Regulation 1, a Police Vetting report and a selection process which may include a written application, interview, and written and/or practical exercises as may be determined by the Academic Board or their delegate.
3. Candidates for the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) shall follow a flexible programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 120 credits, comprising:
(a) the Teaching Studies courses listed in Schedule A of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule (45 credits); and
(b) the Teaching Experience courses listed in Schedule B of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule (30 credits); and
(c) 45 credits of Curriculum Subjects Studies courses as specified in Schedule C of the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) Schedule; and
(d) attending professional practice and community placements, field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials and laboratories as required.
4. The Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) is awarded without specialisation.
5. Every candidate for the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) shall perform to the satisfaction of the Academic Board or their delegate at least fourteen weeks of supervised clinical practice, in accordance with the requirements of the following courses:
(a) 260.483 Secondary Teaching Experience I;
(b) 260.484 Secondary Teaching Experience II.
6. Should a student in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) be charged with an offence against the law after entry into the qualification, the student must advise the College Pro Vice-Chancellor or their nominee of the charge within three working days.
7. If the Academic Board or their nominee is of the opinion that any student does not meet in general terms the requirements set down by the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand for registration as a teacher in New Zealand in terms of good character and fitness to be a teacher, the student's enrolment in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) programme will be refused or cancelled.
8. A candidate's programme of study may not exceed two years of full-time study, or three years of part-time study from date of first enrolment in a course to be credited to Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary).
9. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes.
10. For candidates enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary), the following will lead to exclusion from the qualification:
(a) failure to obtain a pass in a course in two successive attempts; or
(b) failure to pass courses totalling at least 60 academic credits or failure to pass at least 50 percent of an approved part-time programme of study in any academic year; or
(c) failure to complete the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) within two years of full-time study, or three years of part-time study from the date of first enrolment in a course to be credited to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary).
11. A person excluded under Clause 11 will only be readmitted to the Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) with the approval of Academic Board or their nominee. Such approval may be withheld or granted subject to conditions.
|260.490||Teaching in Context I||15 credits|
|260.491||Teaching in Context II||15 credits||P 260.490|
|260.492||Teaching and Learning in a Secondary Context||15 credits|
|260.483||Secondary Teaching Experience I||15 credits|
|260.484||Secondary Teaching Experience II||15 credits||P 260.483|
|253.353||Guidance Principles and Practice||15 credits||P Any 200-level course in Social Sciences or Business Studies R 208.353, 209.353|
|260.420||Teaching Mathematics||15 credits|
|260.422||Teaching Science||15 credits|
|260.426||Teaching Technology||15 credits|
|260.429||Teaching Languages||15 credits|
|260.431||Teaching English||15 credits|
|260.434||Teaching Social Sciences||15 credits|
|260.438||Teaching Music||15 credits|
|260.441||Teaching Health and Physical Education||15 credits|
|260.444||Teaching Visual Arts||15 credits|
|260.421||Teaching Senior Mathematics||15 credits|
|260.423||Teaching Senior Agriculture/Biology/Horticulture||15 credits|
|260.424||Teaching Senior Chemistry||15 credits|
|260.425||Teaching Senior Physics||15 credits|
|260.427||Teaching Senior Technology||15 credits|
|260.428||Teaching Design and Visual Communication||15 credits|
|260.430||Teaching Senior Languages||15 credits|
|260.432||Teaching Senior English||15 credits|
|260.433||Teaching Drama||15 credits|
|260.435||Teaching Senior History||15 credits|
|260.436||Teaching Senior Geography||15 credits|
|260.437||Teaching Senior Commerce||15 credits|
|260.439||Teaching Senior Music||15 credits|
|260.440||Musicianship for School Instrumental Music Teachers||15 credits|
|260.442||Teaching Senior Physical Education||15 credits|
|260.443||Teaching Health||15 credits|
|260.445||Teaching Senior Visual Arts||15 credits|
|260.446||Teaching Senior Art History||15 credits|
|260.447||Teaching Performing Arts||15 credits|
|260.448||Teaching Senior Social Sciences||15 credits|
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 06 November 2018