Skip to Content
In 2011 Atihau Whanganui Incorporation (AWHI) and Ravensdown established the Atihau-Ravensdown university scholarship. The university scholarship, for AWHI shareholders and their descendants, is for undergraduate study in an agricultural or horticultural degree.
• Only one scholarship will be available at any one time (e.g. if it is a 4 year scholarship, only that scholarship will be financed until the 4 year term is completed, then the scholarship will again be available for applications).
• The scholarship recipient will receive a cash grant of $5,000 per year for the duration of their undergraduate
• In addition, recipients will be offered the opportunity for paid holiday work at Ravensdown.
Applications for the scholarship will be invited from students who are:
• A shareholder or descendant of a Atihau Whanganui Incorporation shareholder
• Intending to undertake an agricultural, horticultural or environmental (water) studies undergraduate degree full time at Lincoln or Massey Universities
• The scholarship is paid for the duration of an undergraduate course up to a maximum of four years. Payment of the scholarship for years subsequent to the first will be subject to satisfactory academic performance in the preceding year.
• The scholarship is for agricultural, horticultural or environmental (water) - based degrees.
• Students who have completed one year’s tertiary study or less are also eligible.
• The recipient of the scholarship is required to meet with Atihau Whanganui and Ravensdown management to discuss progress each year and attend any grant/scholarship holders hui organised by Te Ati Hau Trust.
The four person selection committee comprises:
• 2 members of Te Atihau Trust
• 1 member of Ravensdown
– Mr Michael Manning or nominee
• 1 representative from Ravensdown Human Resources
Applying for the scholarship
To apply for the scholarship students should:
• Obtain an application form from the Ravensdown HR department or the AWHI website
• Forward an application, including 2 references (preferably from your iwi or work related e.g. holiday employment), to the selection committee before the closing date on 30 November.
• Submit a 1,000 word essay on the topic: “Agriculture, Horticulture and Water in NZ” Why these are important and my future role as a descendant of Atihau Whanganui Incorporation lands.
• In addition to the essay, students should submit a handwritten half page profile introducing themselves including education, personal interests etc.
Applicants may also be asked to attend an interview either in person or by video conference.
The selection committee will take a range of criteria into account including the applicants’ involvement in iwi affairs, academic records, references and commitments to agriculture/horticulture.
If there are a large number of applicants, the selection committee will shortlist to a maximum of six by reviewing academic performance and the essays.
Application forms can be obtained from:
"A HREF="www.atihau.com">www.atihau.com or http://careers.ravensdown.co.nz/f/28bf9f3452b08652.pdf or:
Atihau - Ravensdown Scholarship
c/- HR department
Ravensdown Fertiliser Co-operative Ltd
PO Box 16081, Hornby
Applications close 30 November 2015.
Application cannot be accepted before 30/08/2018.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016