Skip to Content
The NZIDRS provides full tuition fees plus a living stipend for up to 36 months for international students to undertake PhD study at a New Zealand university. The NZIDRS are funded by the New Zealand Government and administered by Education New Zealand.
The NZIDRS covers the following for a TOTAL of three years (36 months):
New Zealand University annual tuition fees and associated student levies
An annual living stipend of NZ$25,000 per year (tax free)
Medical insurance coverage up to NZ$600 annually
Who Can Apply?
The NZIDRS is a prestigious, highly competitive scholarship. It is awarded based on academic excellence and the benefit of the candidate’s proposed research to New Zealand. Recipients of this award will have an academic record placing them within the top 5% of PhD candidates worldwide.
Recipients can undertake PhD study in any discipline at any of New Zealand eight Universities:
University of Auckland,
University of Canterbury,
University of Otago,
University of Waikato,
Victoria University of Wellington.
In order to apply for the NZIDRS you must meet ALL five eligibility criteria.
These criteria are non-negotiable.
1. You must hold a minimum grade equivalent to a GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale OR an A to A+ average in your most recent or highest post graduate tertiary qualification
2. You must have a confirmed, non-conditional offer of place for a (direct-start) PhD programme at a New Zealand university
3. If you have commenced your PhD studies in New Zealand, your start date must be after 01 July 2015
4. You must conduct your PhD study in New Zealand (not from a distance)
5. You must not hold citizenship or PR status in New Zealand or Australia.
The NZIDRS are awarded based on academic excellence and the impact of the PhD research for New Zealand. Applications must propose research that has a clear, direct and tangible positive effect on:
- New Zealand’s economy, in terms of international trade and business development in key sectors, OR
- New Zealand’s population in terms of health and safety, OR
- Research and scholarship in either of the above two areas
More information available on the Study in New Zealand website
Application cannot be accepted before 15/04/2018.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016