Skip to Content
This award arises from a fund established in 2002 as a memorial to Peter During, one of New Zealand's pioneering soil scientists. As an immigrant to New Zealand in the 1940s, Peter During made an outstanding contribution to both soil and fertiliser research, and to the extension of the results to consultants and farmers. His classic textbook, "Fertilisers and Soils in New Zealand Farming," was first published in 1967. Revised two times, it still stands as a tribute to his work, and to his belief that all research must be written up and published.
1. The bursary shall be called the Peter During Agricultural Research Bursary and shall be awarded annually to help encourage his ideals.
2. The value of the bursary shall be $2000 each year. The donor family do not want the value of the bursary to drop below $2000 simply to conserve the principal, and appreciate that the bursary will thus have a limited life.
3. Applicants will have embarked, in the year of the award, on a course of postgraduate study in agriculture. Recipients of the award are expected to publish their research.
4. The bursary shall be awarded annually on the recommendation of the Applied Science Scholarships Committee. The family of Peter During will be informed of the decision each year.
5. In making a recommendation for this award the Committee shall take into account other scholarships, bursaries and awards held by the candidates, with a view to achieving a fair distribution of monies among qualifying candidates.
6. If there are no applicants of sufficient merit the Scholarships Committee may refrain from making an award.
7. Applications close on the 10 March in the year in which the award is to be made. Application forms (ASSC.3) can be downloaded at the bottom of this page. Completed applications are to be sent to Dr Kerry Harrington, K.Harrington@massey.ac.nz. Alternatively, hard copy applications can be delivered to Dr Kerry Harrington’s office AH 302.
All applications are acknowledged by email.
Applications will NOT be accepted more than 3 months in advance of the closing date.
Application cannot be accepted before 10/12/2018.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016