Skip to Content
1. "Here's the thing – none of us get out of life alive. So be gallant, be great, be gracious, and be grateful for the opportunities that you have." – Student Jake Bailey in a speech at his senior prize-giving ceremony a week after he was told if he did not get cancer treatment he would not be alive to give the speech.
2. “Just my arm.” – Steven Hansen when asked what else he had up his sleeve during the Rugby World Cup tournament.
3. “The French love the coq.” – ACT Leader David Seymour when answering a question about whether his silver fern pin would be replaced with a red peak flag.
4. “That’s a very tantalising ponytail.” – Waitress Amanda Bailey’s recollection of Prime Minister John Key’s statement before pulling her ponytail.
5. "No man should have his wife's brain on his shirt.” – A point made repeatedly by Queen's Counsel Philip Morgan in the Mark Lundy murder case retrial.
6. "I used to make fun of him, I said no one could catch him because whenever the nostrils flared up he took all the oxygen." – Former All Black Eric Rush paying tribute to Jonah Lomu at his memorial.
7. "I started here aged 27 in a suit I borrowed from my Dad. I could never have dreamed what would happen in the next 24 years.” – John Campbell speaking to viewers on the final Campbell Live show.
8. “We’ve been asked to vote for the tallest dwarf.” – Marketing expert Mike Hutcheson discussing the chosen four flag designs on TVNZ’s Breakfast show.
9. “Squeaky sand, eh!” – Bachelor Art Green after contestant Poppy Salter passes wind on their televised first date in what became known internationally as “the fart that stopped the nation”.
10. “I survived the Kills!” – Tweet of X factor contestant Joe Irvine after being bullied by Natalia Kills and Willy Moon on live television. Kills and Moon were sacked from the show following a public outcry.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Wednesday 26 October 2016