Skip to Content
Welcome to the Engineering Project Website. The one year project is probably the most exciting and challenging paper that you will undertake at Massey. It represents the culmination of your engineering knowledge and application of what you have learned over the past four years. If you do it well and enthusiastically, we are sure that you will reap the rewards in your future employment
It is well worth the effort to get an “outside” interest involved, this could be an organization you have had vacation employment with, or another part of the university e.g. vets. You can use the project as a lure for getting this year’s vacation job by offering to do a project for the Company thus extending your involvement with the organization to a year. Confidentiality and financial support arrangements are dealt with on a project specific basis and rarely prove to be an obstacle. There are no formal “charges” to an organization involved in a project.
Good projects should have sufficient:
1) scope to encourage the investigation of various solutions (starting with a tightly defined project concept will generally not be acceptable).
2) definition of scope so that the student doesn’t have to spend too much time trying to pin down what the customer wants.
3) depth of engineering/technology challenge.
5) opportunity to pursue customer based solutions – accessing appropriate customer involvement.
6) opportunity to pursue commercialisation options (including IP value)as part of the project.
7) opportunity to explore and to become aware of social & environmental issues associated with project.
8) sufficient interest to make them you want to “get out of bed in the morning”. Remember, this is 25% of your year’s work.
Please contact me if you have any queries ( e.g. potential supervisors) or if an outside organization needs clarification on any issue.
You will be expected to attend the full day. Lunch and evening nibbles will be provided.
Any claims for reimbursement of expenses for fourth year projects must be submitted to the finance administrators prior to the presentations on the 17th October. If you are expecting to incur project costs for which you will want to be reimbursed after this date you must obtain the approval of your supervisor for late reimbursement. No reimbursements can be made after 31 December.
(Grade will be withheld until ALL commitments are complied with).
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 16 August 2016