The Centre will develop and apply modern industrial mathematics concepts and techniques, emphasise the interdisciplinary nature of such applications, provide support for the mathematical modelling needs of the College of Sciences and the University, and promote the use of mathematical techniques through research and collaboration with industry and the community at large.
The Centre for Mathematics in Industry will aim to:
- provide an environment for the development and application of modern industrial mathematics concepts and techniques.
- become a recognised collaborative research and consulting centre for the mathematics needs of industry in the widest sense.
- encourage students to undertake postgraduate study in applied mathematics, mathematical modelling and industrial applications.
- become a recognised key centre of expertise, and thereby attract post-graduate, post-doctoral and visiting researchers.
- facilitate regular industrial mathematics seminars, workshops, etc.
- develop a strong position with respect to funding applications, either in its own right or as a partner in collaborative research;