Paper Timesheet Submission and Processing

If your department is part of the Online Timesheet pilot programme, please visit  the Online Timesheet Submission and Processing webpage for information on submitting and approving casual timesheets via MyHR:

Online Timesheet Submission and Processing

The timesheet is for the use of both casual and salaried staff working additional hours:


Full information, including how to ensure that the timesheet is completed in line with the submitted Schedule 3 is available here.

To claim payment for work completed on a public holiday, the staff members's manager should complete the request for payment form located here.

What are the key differences for the management of casuals?

  • Hourly or unit rates and a default costing are entered in the payroll system, in the same way we record this information for salaried staff.
  • Should revised duties or changes in rates of pay be agreed with your casual staff member, this information is now recorded in the payroll system. 
  • In line with the position management framework, a job is a job title in a particular organisational unit, e.g. Marker in Org Unit MU00012. We will be using this concept to further develop our HR system, and manage our casual employees.

What do I need to do differently from now on?

If your casual staff member has a change

  • in hourly rate,
  • a new duty with a different hourly/unit rate
  • a permanent change in GL/PR/RM Account and/or analysis code.

Then please complete a revised Schedule 3 so that we can record the changed information. Your staff member does not need to sign the Schedule 3 if the updated information relates to the changes in costing only. More in-depth information on completing the Schedule 3 is available here.

For timesheet completion

  • The new timesheet template requires a job number and a timesheet code. For the majority of staff, who are working in one job only within their organisational unit, the job number is one, and the timesheet code is PAY.

  • The job number and timesheet code is how HR Services links the correct pay rate and cost code to the agreed duties and rates as recorded from the employment agreement.

  • Some staff work in multiple jobs, in the same or different organisational units, or they have multiple hourly or unit rates for different duties within the one job. The job number and the timesheet code are very important in these situations and we will work with both you and the staff member in these situations to ensure the correct information is recorded on the timesheet.
  • Now that the pay rate is already in the system, the pay rate is not entered on the timesheet.

  • The payroll system also records the costing information in the system, so there is no need to record this for each fortnightly timesheet. The costing override section is only completed if the cost code is different from the default code. Departments who are regularly changing the costings, are welcome to include a temporary costing over ride every fortnight.

Completed examples:

For casual staff: 

Basic scenario of a casual employee with one job, and one hourly rate for all work performed:

More complex scenarios that will apply to a minority of staff:


A list of all your casual staff members' job numbers and timesheet codes is available at anytime from the  

What item codes should I use for casual employees?

Casual staff should be categorised by the item codes below:

  • 1011 - Academic 
  • 1012 - Professional Services
  • 1013 - Technical

What do I need to check before I send in my timesheets to HR Services?

  • That timesheet have been completed in black, blue or red ink
  • That the staff member's full legal name, Staff ID number, job title and name of School/Institute/Section is provided
  • That the manager who hold appropriate financial delegation has approved timesheets
  • That a costing override has been entered only if the work is being temporarily being charged to a different cost code
  • For casual staff who are claiming hours at different rates, that the duties have been subtotalled by timesheet code under 'totalled hours for payment'
  • Timesheets for salaried staff carrying out additional hours (in their current role) have the timesheet code 'ADDHRS' or if overtime is appropriate 'OT' in the primary duties section of the timesheet.
  • The total number of hours to be paid is easily identifiable on the timesheet
  • Timesheets are signed by the staff member or if this is not practicable, an email from the individual confirming that they worked the hours on the timesheet is attached to the timesheet

Timesheets are to be sent to HR Services PN202 for processing in line with the specified payroll deadlines.

How do I send scanned timesheets to HR Services for processing?

As an alternative to sending paper timesheets via mail, Schools can choose to submit timesheets electronically.

This is HR Services preferred way of sending timesheets.

If this method is chosen all timesheets (both salary and wages) must be sent as per the process below.

Schools choosing to scan and submit electronic copies should not send the hardcopies to HR Services as this could result in overpayments.

Timesheets for staff members are to be scanned by the usual deadline (by noon Wednesday on the appropriate fortnight) to the HR Helpdesk.

  • One batch of timesheets, sorted into alphabetical order (by surname) is to be sent – please scan one batch only rather than sending individual timesheets
  • Please scan the timesheets to your own email first
  • Forward the scanned email to with the subject line stating: Institute/School Name and Pay Period i.e. “Casual Timesheets – School of Management – Pay Period 13”
  • To meet audit requirements, the original source documents must be kept for seven years tax years, and they must be easily accessible during this time.


Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey