Health & Counselling

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are your rights as a client?

  • To be treated with respect and dignity.
  • To question the counsellor about how they work or what their experience is.
  • To expect the counsellor will keep what you tell them, confidential to the service and their supervisor, unless there are concerns about your safety or the safety of others.
  • To expect that counsellors receive regular professional supervision.
  • To stop attending counselling at any time for any reason.

What about my records?

All health information is kept on a secured medical database.

All counsellors keep written records. These are kept in a locked cabinet. The notes are confidential and may only be seen by the counsellor's supervisor, or other counselling staff if there are safety issues to be considered. You may ask to see these at anytime or have a copy of them if you wish. They remain the property of the counsellor and once counselling has stopped they are stored.

How can you give feedback or voice a concern about the counselling or health service?

If you would like to give feedback both positive and negative, or you have a concern about any aspect of the counselling you have several options:You may -

  • Provide anonymous written feedback via the suggestions box located in the waiting room.
  • Discuss the matter with the staff member concerned (either on your own or with a support person).
  • Make an appointment with the manager of the Health and Counselling Centre.
  • Make an appointment to see another counsellor.
  • Telephone your respective campus Student Services Manager:
    Albany Health & Counselling - Gabrielle Graham, phone 09 443 9783
    Palmerston North Counselling Service - Mark Rainier, phone 06 350 5935
    Palmerston North Massey Medical Centre - Mark Morris, phone 06 350 5533
    Wellington Health & Counselling - Nicky McGeorge, phone 04 9793030or ext 3036
  • Contact the President of your respective Campus Students Association.

As an agency we believe that feedback is important way of assessing, evaluating and changing the service to better reflect your needs. It is also one way of maintaining professional and ethical standards for counsellors. In all cases the feedback or concern will be responded to as quickly as possible.

Do I need to make an appointment or do you provide a drop-in service?

Appointments are preferred to avoid waiting, unless the visit relates to an urgent matter.

How much will it cost me as a student to see a doctor?


Is it free of charge to see the nurse?

In Auckland there is no charge for PHO enrolled patients (except possibly a small charge for materials) but there is a small charge for staff or those not enrolled (refer to Costs). For more information on Palmerston North Health and Counselling Centre, please refer to eligibility criteria and costs.

In Wellington there is a small charge to see the nurse.

Do you have female doctors?

Yes, all campuses have female doctors.

Can I just see a nurse for a repeat script?

Yes usually, depending on medication and when last seen by our doctor for the same medication. Please phone the centre in your own area.

Do you do Immigration Medicals? What is the cost?

Yes we do

Do you have laboratory or X-ray facilities?

There is no X-ray facility but our nurse offers laboratory facilities which are free - except for immigration blood tests for all campuses.

Do you have Chinese-speaking staff?

In Albany, we have a counsellor who speaks Mandarin and a Doctor who speaks Cantonese. There is no Chinese speaking staff in Palmerston North and Wellington, however under certain circumstances, a translator can be arranged.

How can I apply for a Community Service Card?

Application forms are available on all campuses which you will need to complete and forward to Work and Income.

What is the cost for a staff member to see a doctor? Can staff family members also be treated?

Refer to the schedule of costs in the respective regions:

Do I need to be referred to a counsellor or can I just make an appointment?

You can contact us directly/self refer. It is preferable to make a booking in advance.

Do you have a physiotherapist and what are the charges?

In Albany, there is a physiotherapist situated in the Recreation Centre. Prices vary depending on whether ACC (ask to see the charges sheet).
In Palmerston North, there is a physiotherapist in the Medical Centre. Contact the centre for costs, phone 06 350 5533
In Wellington, the Willis Street Physiotherapy have a clinic on the 3rd floor of the Student Services Building, Wallace Street.

If I need medical care after hours, where should I go?

If you require urgent medical care or accident/emergency care outside of our hours (8.30am 5pm) you will need to visit an Accident & Urgent Medical clinic or Hospital in your local area. You can find listings of these in the front of your telephone directory. Be aware that at some of these clinics they will charge considerably more than at our centre even with a Community Services card.

Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey