Massey's exchange partners in England Stonehenge

England is part of the United Kingdom (UK), an island nation in north-western Europe, composed of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland (also known as Ulster). London (population: 6,770,400) is the capital of the UK and of England, is only 35 km from France now linked by tunnel under the English Channel.

England is a nation of 50 million people. The major ethnic groups are Anglo-Saxons, Scots, Welsh, and Irish, but Indians, Pakistanis and many others make England one of the most diverse nations in the world. You will be surprised at how abruptly the urban scene gives way to beautiful landscapes; how the architecture of medieval times blends with modern buildings; and how people of varied ethnic backgrounds coexist in this diverse land.

Student Testimonials

You can read what other Massey students have written about going on exchange to England.

Student Visa

There are two types of student permits for studying in the UK. A summary of these options are listed below.

One Semester Exchange
New Zealand citizens who are going to the UK on exchange for under 6 months do not have to obtain a visa before arriving in the UK. Citizens of some other countries may need to apply for a Student Visitor Visa.  Students will be listed as a Student Visitor by their host university. A Student Visitor is not able to work while in the country and is not able to extend their stay after completing their course of study. On arrival at the airport, students need to show the Entry Clearance Official at the border the visa letter provided to them from their host university, to be permitted entry into the UK.

Two Semester Exchange
Students planning to study in the UK for longer than 6 months must apply for a Tier 4 Adult Student Visa before departing from New Zealand. Applicants will need to provide the following documents when applying for a student visa:

  • A visa letter and certificate of acceptance from the host university
  • A residence (accommodation) confirmation letter from the host university
  • Bank statements proving you (or your parents) have enough funds to support your living costs for the period of study in the UK

Note: Immigration officials may also ask for evidence to show that the student intends to leave after the course. This can be supplied through a return ticket receipt or the letter from the host university stating course dates.

For more information and to apply for an Adult Student Visa, refer to the Home Office UK Border Agency.

Useful information

The Education UK website has lots of useful information to help you prepare for studying in the UK, including estimated costs, UK visas, things to see and do, and more.

Massey Contact CentreMon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701)TXT chatMyMasseyStaffAlumniNewsMāori @ Massey