Massey's exchange partners in the United States of America

USA Times Square.jpg The United States of America, the land of opportunity: with 50 states, 20,000km of coastline and almost 300 million people, the USA is the third largest country in the world by size and population. With the Rocky Mountains in the west, through the vast central plains, to the rolling hills and low mountains to the east, the USA has it all. With the inclusion of the International Student Exchange Programme (ISEP), you have over 150 American universities from which to choose your exchange destination!

Student Testimonials

You can read what other Massey students have written about going on exchange to the USA.

US Credit System

In the USA, a usual full-time workload is 12 - 16 US credits per semester.  Most courses are worth 3 US credits each, but there are variations.  Generally students should take 15 US credits per semester to equate to 60 Massey credits.  Some campuses of the University of California operate on a quarter system, rather than a semester system.  Refer to the information page for the University of California (link above) for specific information on credit systems at this university.

As an undergraduate degree in the USA is usually completed over four years, the first two years are referred to as lower division and the final two years are upper division.  Lower division courses are usually considered the equivalent of Massey 100-level papers. Third-year US courses are usually equivalent to Massey 200-level, and fourth-year US courses are usually equivalent to Massey 300-level.

Student Visa

All students who want to go on exchange to the US need to apply for a Non-Immigrant Student Visa. You will need to attend an interview in Auckland at the US Consulate Office as part of that application process. You cannot attend an interview until you receive a DS-2019 or I-20 form from the partner university in the U.S, which essentially confirms your acceptance to study as an exchange student and indicates the living costs you need for the duration of your studies.

Tips on travelling to the USA

The eduPASS website has useful general information on finances, scholarships, visas, travel, cultural differences, and other tips for travelling to and living in the USA.

Massey Contact CentreMon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701)TXT chatMyMasseyStaffAlumniNewsMāori @ Massey