Skip to Content
Our campuses are currently closed to the public. Visit www.massey.ac.nz/coronavirus for our COVID-19 updates
The University, established in 1964, grew out of an antecedent institution called Massey Agricultural College. The College evolved from developments at both Victoria University College and Auckland University College in the 1920s.
The first Chair established in the College of Sciences is named after Sir Walter Clarke Buchanan, whose contribution towards the founding of a Chair in Agriculture at Victoria University College led to the appointment of Professor G. S. Peren as Professor of Agriculture in 1924. A bequest from Sir John Logan Campbell led to the creation of a Chair in Agriculture at Auckland University College, to which Professor W. Riddet was appointed in 1925. The present Chair in Food Technology commemorates this benefaction. Two Schools of Agriculture were initially established, and in 1926 it was resolved by a committee of both Colleges that the Schools should be amalgamated and their combined resources devoted to the establishment of a single institution in the Manawatū. This decision was implemented by the passing of the New Zealand Agricultural College Act in 1926 and by the purchase of the Batchelar estate on the south side of the Manawatū River near Palmerston North. In succeeding years the College acquired several adjoining properties as the need for farm land and building sites increased.
The College was renamed in 1927 after William Ferguson Massey, a former Prime Minister, by an amendment to the Agricultural College Act. In March of 1928 Massey Agricultural College was formally opened. Professor Peren became Walter Clarke Buchanan Professor of Agriculture and Principal of the College, and Professor Riddet became Logan Campbell Professor of Agriculture and Director of the Dairy Research Institute. There were other staff appointments in Soil Chemistry, Agricultural Botany, Agricultural Economics, Livestock and Veterinary Science, Agricultural Zoology, and Bacteriology. The College offered courses leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Agricultural Science and Master of Agricultural Science of the University of New Zealand. It also offered a variety of shorter courses in aspects of farm management and technology leading to College diplomas and certificates. Eighty-four students enrolled in the first year.
The history of the College for the next 25 years was one of consolidation as a residential agricultural college, steady expansion of these teaching programmes and development as a research institution in cooperation with the New Zealand Dairy Research Institute and units of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research. For 14 years following the School of Agriculture Act 1937, Massey Agricultural College and Canterbury Agricultural College at Lincoln constituted the New Zealand School of Agriculture under the direction of a joint Council that coordinated their activities, although each College retained its own Board of Governors. This Act was repealed in 1951.
The post-war period was marked by the introduction of degree courses in Horticulture in 1948, as well as the acquisition of approximately 200 acres to the immediate south in 1946. "Wharerata", a large homestead set in 16 acres of garden and bush, was added in 1951 following the addition of the farm known as "Tuapaka" near Aokautere in 1948.
In 1960 a branch of the Victoria University of Wellington was founded in Palmerston North on a 30 acre site at Hokowhitu and nearby Caccia Birch House. Extramural courses were offered throughout the country in selected subjects and tuition provided to Arts students in the Manawatū area. After the dissolution of the University of New Zealand at the end of 1961, Massey College elected, in terms of the Massey College Act of that year, to associate itself with Victoria University pending the assumption of full autonomy. This association was retained in the Massey University College of Manawatū Act 1962, which amalgamated Massey and the branch of Victoria University as from 1 January 1963, the latter becoming the General Studies Faculty of the new institution. By virtue of the Massey University of Manawatū Act 1963, the University was granted autonomy and degree-conferring powers as from 1 January 1964. The ten degrees listed in the Schedule to that Act are symbolised in the gyronny of the University Arms. Amendments abbreviating the name to Massey University were passed in 1966.
These developments, coinciding with a programme of curricular expansion initiated in the late 1950s, led to the establishment of many new departments and to a substantial increase in the number of teaching, research and technical staff. First-year science courses were introduced in 1958. Students working in agricultural degrees had formerly undertaken these prerequisite studies at one of the four colleges of the University of New Zealand. The Faculty of Technology was established in 1961 and the Faculty of Veterinary Science a year later. In 1965 the Faculty of Science was founded, where work continues to be concentrated on the biological sciences. In the same year General Studies was organised into two new Faculties, Humanities and Social Sciences. These were consolidated on the main site in 1968 and the Hokowhitu property was made available for the development of the Palmerston North Teachers' College, which was initially established in 1956 at another location. To coordinate the expanding graduate and research activities of the University, a School of Graduate Studies was created in 1969. Business Studies courses, directed by a Board of Studies, were first offered in 1971, and in 1972 joint teacher education and cooperation between the University and Palmerston North Teachers' College was formalised by the creation of a School of Education. Business Studies and Education are now both Colleges.
A School of Aviation was established in 1990. In the early 1990s, further schools were formed in Applied and International Economics and Mathematical and Information Sciences. In 1994 the latter became the Faculty of Information and Mathematical Sciences. For much of its work the University has national responsibilities; for instance, in agriculture, veterinary and extramural education. For other purposes, such as extension work and school accreditation, the University region is defined to the north by a line running from Waitara to Wairoa and to the south by a line running from the Waikawa River through to Mount Bruce. As the scope of its activities has broadened, the University has maintained since 1963 an extensive building and development programme designed to preserve as much as possible the semi-rural character of the campus; additional farm land has also been purchased during this period.
In 1996, Massey University merged with the Palmerston North College of Education and in 1997 the first College was established: the College of Education comprising the University Faculty and the former Palmerston North College of Education. Later in 1997 the following Colleges were established: the College of Business, comprising the former Faculty of Business Studies, the School of Aviation and the School of Applied and International Economics; the College of Humanities and Social Sciences, comprising the former Faculties of Humanities and Social Sciences; the College of Sciences, comprising the former Faculties of Science, Technology, Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences, Information and Mathematical Sciences and Veterinary Science. In 1999 the College of Design, Fine Arts and Music was formed as the result of a merger with the Wellington Polytechnic. In 2005 Te Kōkī New Zealand School of Music (NZSM), was formed by collaboration between Massey University and Victoria University. The College of Design, Fine Arts and Music was renamed College of Creative Arts. NZSM ceased to be a joint venture between the two universities on 1 July 2014, at which time Victoria University purchased the assets of NZSM Ltd. In 2013 the College of Health was established, and the College of Education was re-designed as the Massey University Institute of Education within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
Massey University's total roll in 2018 was 30,296 comprising 5,859 internal/block mode students at Palmerston North, 7,192 at Auckland and 3,028 at Wellington, as well as 14,217 distance educational students*. The continuing development of the University is also reflected in the growing number of research and service units and of student halls of residence on the campus and adjacent sites. Descriptions of courses of study, research activities, departmental interests, halls, farms, the library and other general facilities available at the University are given in later sections. Reference may also be made to other information booklets published by the University.
*These numbers reflect the primary location for each student in 2018.
Massey University now comprises five Colleges and 29 academic units located across three campuses in the North Island.
Massey University's early beginnings were in the Manawatū, as an agricultural college founded in 1928. Throughout its history, right from those first days, Massey University has been seen as an engine of change. Firstly, providing the knowledge that underpinned New Zealand's agricultural and food industries. Today Massey University has extended out that leadership to the areas of design and fine arts, education, humanities and social science and business.
Today the Manawatū campus is home to New Zealand's largest institution for the life sciences, agricultural, horticultural and veterinary teaching and research and is a leader in industrial innovation through areas such as food science and technology, biotechnology, advanced material sciences and product development. It hosts Food HQ, a research collaboration between Massey and other major stakeholders in the agri-food business.
The University has two sites in Palmerston North. Hokowhitu is the site of some of the University's administrative functions. The Turitea site is set in a beautiful 40 hectare park-like setting and houses the Colleges of Business, Health, Sciences, and Humanities and Social Sciences, and the Vice-Chancellor's Office.
On either side of the Manawatū River, both sites are within walking distance of the Palmerston North city centre, with a free bus service for all staff and students allowing easy access to all parts of the city and University. Massey Manawatū offers a wide range of on-campus halls and units, catering for over 900 students of diverse ages, programmes of study, and cultural backgrounds.
The campus is in close proximity to the student-friendly city of Palmerston North, and to beautiful mountain ranges and countryside offering plenty of outdoor activities.
Until 1943 student accommodation was confined to the Old Hostel, but in the ten years following 1943 residential facilities were tripled – first by the purchase in that year of the Monro Homestead (purchased with the aid of the Moginie bequest); second by the addition of the Pink Hostel, constructed during World War II as a staff college for officers of the armed services (1944); third by the acquisition of the 'Rehab' hostels erected by the Government as part of its returned servicemen's rehabilitation programme; and fourth by the construction of the YFC Memorial Building, which was financed by the Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs to commemorate members who were killed in the second World War (1953). Rehab 'B' and 'C' hostels were closed and removed during 2001, and both 'A' hostel and Woodhey were removed in 2005. YFC ceased being offered as accommodation in 2005 and was renovated to house Accommodation Services (formerly Halls Community Group), International Community Centre, Fale Pasifika and Kainga Rua. The YFC Annex is a building dedicated to providing academic support for Halls students through the Study Group Programme. The YFC is home to Manawatahi (Māori Student Association) and EXMSS (Extramural Students Association) whilst Accommodation Services have been relocated to the Student Centre.
In the 1960s several other halls made their appearance: the new Monro House (1961), now Craiglockhart, Fergusson Hall, Colombo Hall (1964) and Eliott House (purchased in 1966). A further homestead, Fitzherbert House (now Bindaloe House), was made available by the University (1966), followed by Cubeside and The Stable (1982), and Moginie Hall (1985). In 1988 Cubeside Hostel was relinquished to Māori Studies and the third wing on the 72-bed Moginie Hall was completed to replace Cubeside. Following kitchen and common room renovations, Moginie Hall now has 68 beds.
In 1989 the Pink Hostel was given over to the Accountancy Department although it was returned to accommodation in 2002 and is now named McHardy Hall.
Colombo Hall was provided by the Government as part of the Colombo Plan Aid Programme, but accommodation in it is neither compulsory for, nor limited to international students. Fergusson Hall, an historic Manawatū homestead, is administered by the Presbyterian Education Purposes Trust. Walter Dyer Hall (1969) was financed in part from funds accumulated from levies on students in residence. In its efforts to provide more on-campus accommodation, the University continues to benefit from collaboration of this sort with other bodies. A substantial contribution from the Palmerston North City Council, with additional funds raised by Rotary Clubs in the district and by the Federation of Taranaki Dairy Factories, led to the opening in 1971 of City Court, Egmont Court and Rotary Court. Kairanga Court, again financed in part from levies, opened in 1977.
In 1992 the Atawhai student community was developed to provide 65 single beds in 13 units and twelve two-bedroom student family units. The Tararua and Ruahine complexes of 24 beds were opened for student use in 1992 and 1996. The merger between the Palmerston North College of Education and Massey University in 1996 added Blair Tennant Hall in Fitzherbert Avenue to the University's accommodation for students although this Hall has now been decommissioned.
A further 208 beds are located within the Turitea Community. Matai and Totara Halls, along with the Kanuka Commons building opened in February 2005, with Tawa and Miro Halls and the Karaka Commons opened in February 2006. (Older accommodation, specifically the rehab hostels and Moginie flats were decommissioned as a result.)
Residential accommodation on or adjoining the Manawatū Campus is now available for 940 students. Dining facilities for all halls are in the newly refurbished and significantly improved Student Centre.
Massey University's Auckland campus is the 'innovation' campus and is located on the North Shore of New Zealand's largest city. The campus, which opened in 1993, is styled on a Mediterranean hill town, and has grown rapidly to meet the needs of the regional population and business community.
Massey Auckland offers degree and diploma courses in business, education, speech language therapy, humanities and social sciences, sciences, engineering and health-related programmes.
The campus is host to a number of research centres, including the New Zealand Institute for Advanced Study and co-hosts the Allan Wilson Centre for Molecular Ecology and Evolution. The campus has strong collaborative links with many local and international organisations and was one of the first universities in New Zealand to open a business incubator on campus, the e-Centre, which plays an integral role in supporting local start-up business. Students at Massey University's Auckland campus benefit from a wide range of scholarships offered by the University and local and multinational business organisations.
Student Accommodation Village, Stage One of the on-campus accommodation village, Te Ohanga, opened in February 2015 and is located in the heart of the campus. The accommodation is close to the dining hall, library, lecture theatres, cafés, and social hubs including the student lounge. The student social hub, Te Rito, includes an e-learning room, games room, music room and barbecue area.
The village offers 210 beds in Halls of Residence-style living spread over three 3-storey buildings. Each hall has a Residential Assistant whose role it is to support students during their stay in the Halls. For those students who prefer a more independent style of living, there are 14 five-bedroom apartments. There are also 12 studio units for those who prefer to live on their own.
Massey University's Wellington campus was established in 1999. Known as the Creative Campus, Massey Wellington is dynamic campus within a short walking distance of the central city and its vibrant arts scene. Student life revolves around campus events, actively growing clubs, Tussock Café, and a range of shows and festivals. The campus is built around some of Wellington's iconic buildings, with the National War Memorial standing proudly at the Buckle Street entrance, and the beautiful Tokomaru, originally built as the Dominion Museum in 1936, now part of the University.
Massey University's Wellington campus has established itself as a niche provider of strategically relevant undergraduate and postgraduate teaching. The study and research programmes focus on six broad areas: Design and Fine Arts, Health and Health Sciences, Business and Enterprise, Communications and Journalism, Technology and Music, and Social Sciences, including the Centre for Disaster Research (jointly with GNS Science).
The Creative Campus is home to two of New Zealand's most distinguished creative arts schools: the School of Design (Nga Pae Mahutonga) and the School of Art (Whiti o Rehua) – both of which can trace their roots back more than 125 years. The campus contains state-of-the-art design facilities offering digital sound, animation and filming suites, as well as hosting two of its enterprises – FabLab and Open Lab. The College of Creative Arts can trace its origins back to the Riley School of Design, which was established in Wellington in 1886.
The campus occupies some eleven hectares and has several multi-story buildings located in the central zone, which was originally developed in the 1960's to house one of New Zealand's first polytechnics. Massey Wellington hosts a number of research centres including the Centre for Public Health Research, the Sleep/Wake Research Centre, Research Centre for Māori Health and Development, the Financial Education and Research (Fin-Ed) Centre, and the Centre for Affective Product Design. It also hosts the government-funded Ako Aotearoa, the National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence.
The Wellington Campus manages a modern, purpose-built accommodation complex for first-year students, just minutes from downtown Wellington. Sitting within a vibrant urban environment, the city's cafe and theatre districts lie within easy walking distance to campus. There are also numerous other options available for the wider student body, including student flats, homestays, private flats or boarding.
Cube Complex accommodates 300 beds in self-contained, fully furnished studio, five-, three- and two-bedroom units and is situated on the corner of Webb and Taranaki Streets.
This complex also houses a Residential (RA) team, consisting of members from the student community, and is an essential part of the student accommodation support network. Led by the Manager, Student Life Services and the Residential Manager, the RA team helps to organise a range of activities as part of the Student Life program. They also help make sure that the Cube Complex operates smoothly and a pleasant environment is fostered for all students. RAs are trained in a number of areas to ensure they can provide the appropriate support and assistance in the complex, including conflict resolution and first aid.
The University, through Ag & Hort Enterprises operates 2,200 hectares of farmland, which is maintained for teaching, research and extension purposes. A wide range of farming enterprises and activities are conducted on 980 hectares of land adjacent to the Turitea site of the Manawatū Campus. About three-quarters of this is gently rolling country of heavy silt loam, while the remainder consists of river flats varying from fertile silt loams and light sandy soil to river shingle. The 980 hectares comprises two dairy farms, a sheep and beef unit encompassing dairy support, a deer research unit, an orchard and glasshouse complex and the Pasture and Crops Research Unit.
The University has a unique range of agricultural research facilities that enables it to undertake research, farming and educational functions. The facilities include two milking sheds (both fitted with electronic data collection technology), a wool shed, sheep, deer and cattle handling facilities, animal physiology and feed processing units, forestry blocks, and glasshouses.
The University also operates two farming enterprises situated away from the Manawatū Campus. Tuapaka Farm is a 476 hectare hill country sheep and beef cattle farm, twelve kilometres from the Campus. About 20 percent of this farm is flat while the remainder consists of easy-to-steep hill country, rising to an altitude of 212 metres above sea level. Tuapaka Farm has three wind turbines positioned on the elevated areas of the farm as part of a wind electricity generation scheme.
Riverside Farm, a 723 hectare sheep and beef cattle farm is situated 13 kilometres north of Masterton and 90 kilometres from Palmerston North, and is on a long-term lease to the University. The mixed topography and location of the property provides a unique resource to investigate summer dryland farming, typical of the Wairarapa region.
Ag & Hort Enterprises provides an extensive research capability, which allows the demonstration of farming and horticultural systems and facilitates a continuing programme of research and extension to the benefit of agricultural, horticultural and veterinary sciences both within New Zealand and overseas. The University farmland play a critical role in meeting the overall educational and research objectives of the University.
The office encourages and stewards philanthropy to the University. Philanthropy comes from alumni, friends and other external sources and can be in support of scholarship, research, teaching or capital projects. The Massey University Foundation also ensures sound governance around gifts it receives and invests endowment funds appropriately.
Massey University students' associations work with the University to provide student services to all students. For example, EXMSS offers financial support to students (funded by interest from investments), including shuttle subsidies for contact workshops students, scholarships and other awards. Student associations maintain an independent advocacy service to assist students regarding disciplinary and grievance processes, student radio, magazines and websites that provide useful and relevant information to students, services such as Student Job Search, and support for student clubs and societies.
Students may choose to become a member of a student association and receive the special benefits that students' associations provide. The students' associations organise, fund and coordinate many student activities. These include Orientation and capping events, volunteer groups, political/social/educational campaigns, independent publications, transport discounts, accommodation services, and representation on campus.
Students' associations also support representation within University Boards and structures to provide learning feedback to the Institution. Students currently have opportunity to participate in the governance of the University, to be able to be part of steering the strategic direction and focus from a learner perspective. Representation extends on a national level with affiliations to New Zealand Union of Students' Associations (NZUSA) and Te Mana Akonga (TMA).
The affairs of each students' association are administered by an Executive committee responsible to the Association. The Executive for the subsequent year is elected in accordance with each Association's constitution and rules. Students' association offices are open daily for information and advice.
The Federation exists to provide continuity across campuses for student association delivered student services. The three main roles of students' association's services are representation, advocacy and student-to-student communication. The education and welfare of students is of paramount concern to MUSAF.
The Federation consists of the following students' associations: Albany Students' Association Inc. (ASA), Massey University Students' Association of Palmerston North Inc. (MUSA), and Massey at Wellington Students Association Inc. (MAWSA), Massey University Extramural Students' Society Inc. (EXMSS), and Te Waka O Ngā ākonga Māori Inc (Albany). The Federation maintains close ties to Massey University Māori Students' Roopu: Manawatahi (Palmerston North), and Te Kokiri Ngatahi (Wellington).
The life and work of the Right Honourable William Ferguson Massey has been commemorated in many ways. Of these the most distinctive was the decision shortly after his death to rename the newly-founded New Zealand Agricultural College at Palmerston North. In introducing the amending legislation, the Minister of Agriculture, the Hon. O.J. Hawken, proposed that the College be known as Massey Agricultural College, saying:
"I think all honourable members honour that name, and I think it is the best that could be chosen, because the late leader of the House was recognised as an agriculturist. The interest he took in the subject is well known, and I believe he had – more than most people realise – a longing to set up an agricultural college. The opportunity did not occur in his time, but I am sure that he was heart and soul in the project."
The College was formally opened in 1928. Thirty-six years later it became an autonomous multi-faculty university. Although the original use of Massey's name was related to his interest in agriculture, the name of the emergent institution, Massey University, was readily maintained in view of his eminent standing in the political history of the country. At the opening of the University Library and Veterinary Clinical Sciences buildings in 1968, the Governor-General, Lord Porritt, endorsed this view with the conclusion that "William Massey was without doubt one of the country's greatest politicians and statesmen". Massey University is the only tertiary educational institution to be so named after a New Zealand citizen.
In 1968, a generous gift from the family of William Massey led to the establishment of the Massey Trust. The University Council declared the purposes of the Trust to be:
"To sustain at the University and in New Zealand the associations of the life and work of the late William Ferguson Massey with the name, aspirations and activities of the University and for the purposes of advancing knowledge and interest in those aspects of the development of New Zealand with which the late William Ferguson Massey was particularly associated, by collecting, collating and preserving archives and other material relating to the late William Ferguson Massey."
More recently, the Massey family presented to the University a unique and very valuable collection of gifts given to him during his years as Prime Minister. This nationally significant collection is now on display on level three of the Registry.
Massey University holds seven collections:
The Art Collections Policy aims to:
1. Create a framework for the development, preservation and use of Massey University's several collections of art in order to:
(a) acknowledge and celebrate the history of Massey University and its antecedent organisations
(b) provide a resource for the teaching, research and community service activities of the University
(c) provide opportunities for the study and appreciation of art by members of Massey University and the communities that it serves
(d) contribute to a stimulating and aesthetically pleasing environment for the campuses.
2. Provide guidance to those responsible for the acquisition, preservation and use of art collections so that the interests of the whole University are maintained while at the same time duly recognising the multi-campus nature of the University and the diversity of the communities that it serves.
1. Graduates shall appear at all public ceremonies of the University in the academic dress proper to their degree. Graduates of other Universities may wear the academic dress of their own university.
2. The form of the principal officers' robes and hats shall be as follows:
Regalia made in Merino wool, in a Poutama design weave using rich blues. Pleats in the gown are suspended from a plain blue Merino wool yoke. Sleeve cape across the shoulders references the Korowai and is embellished with Massey University's Coat of Arms. Gold satin front neck bands (70mm) are embroidered with an interpretation of the Whakarare pattern in metallic threads of gold and blue. Gold satin sleeve cape border is ornamented with three embroideries. Gold satin sleeve border is embroidered in a repeat pattern. Gown body is lined in light blue satin and sleeves are lined in navy satin. Gown front is edged with plain blue Merino wool.
A wide-brimmed round plain blue Merino wool Tudor bonnet with gold tassels hanging from a cord encircling the puggaree of the hat.
Regalia made in Merino wool, in a Poutama design weave using rich blues. Pleats in the gown are suspended from a plain blue Merino wool yoke. Sleeve cape across the shoulders references the Korowai and is embellished with Massey University's Coat of Arms. Gold satin front neck bands (45mm) are embroidered with an interpretation of the Whakarare pattern in metallic threads of gold and blue. Gold satin sleeve cape border is ornamented with one embroidery motif. Gold satin sleeve border is embroidered in a repeat pattern. Gown body is lined in light blue satin and sleeves are lined in navy satin. Gown front is edged with plain blue Merino wool.
A wide-brimmed round plain blue Merino wool Tudor bonnet with gold tassels hanging from a cord encircling the puggaree of the hat.
Regalia made in Merino wool, in a Poutama design weave using rich blues. Pleats in the gown are suspended from a plain blue Merino wool yoke. Sleeve cape across the shoulders references the Korowai and is embellished with Massey University's Coat of Arms. Silver satin front neck bands (70mm) are embroidered with an interpretation of the Whakarare pattern in metallic threads of silver and blue. Silver satin sleeve cape border is ornamented with one embroidery motif. Silver satin sleeve border is embroidered in a repeat pattern. Gown body is lined in light blue satin and sleeves are lined in navy satin. Gown front is edged with plain blue Merino wool.
A wide-brimmed round plain blue Merino wool Tudor bonnet with silver tassels hanging from a cord encircling the puggaree of the hat.
Regalia made in Merino wool, in a Poutama design weave using rich blues. Pleats in the gown are suspended from a plain blue Merino wool yoke. Sleeve cape across the shoulders references the Korowai and is embellished with Massey University's Coat of Arms. Silver satin front neck bands (45mm) are embroidered with an interpretation of the Whakarare pattern in metallic threads of silver and blue. Sleeve cape is without satin border. Silver satin sleeve border is without embroidered ornamentation. Gown body is lined in light blue satin and sleeves are lined in navy satin. Gown front is edged with plain blue Merino wool.
A wide-brimmed round plain blue Merino wool Tudor bonnet with silver tassels hanging from a cord encircling the puggaree of the hat.
Director, Student Services
Of plain all-silk University blue ottoman without ornamentation, but facings and shoulder wings to be of light blue taffeta and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.
The hat of these officers shall be a trencher of the materials as used for the robe.
University Council Members
The academic dress is as for the Cambridge Bachelor of Arts but with a facing of light blue satin (50 mm wide, BCC 84 forget-me-not) edged with an additional dark blue satin (25 mm wide, BCC 90 midnight), the full length of the front. Graduates may wear the hat and hood of their own degree. Council members may wear academic regalia of their qualification if preferred.
The academic dress shall be the academic regalia of their own university, including the hat and hood of their own degree, and shall bear the University's Coat of Arms on each shoulder.
3. (a) The gown for an undergraduate or for a Bachelor's Degree is as for the Cambridge Bachelor of Arts.
(b) The gown for a Master's Degree is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts.
(c) The gown for the degrees of Doctors of Business and Administration, Clinical Psychology, Education, Philosophy and Social Work is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts, but with a facing of cloth 'post office red' (BCC No. 209) ten centimetres wide the full length of the front.
(d) The gown for all other Doctors Degrees is as for the Cambridge Master of Arts, but the colour is 'post office red' (BCC No. 209).
4. (a) The hood for every degree is of the same size and shape as the Cambridge Master of Arts.
(b) The hood for Masters Degrees shall be made of material of the colour 'university blue' (BCC No. 90) and shall be lined with material of the colour appropriate to the degree, except for Master of Philosophy, which shall be lined with material of the colour 'post office red' (BCC No. 209).
(c) The hood for a Bachelor's Degree or a Bachelor's Degree with Honours shall be as for the Master's hood, but bordered with a 40mm white fur.
(d) The hood for a Bachelor Honours Degree shall be as for the Master's hood, but bordered with a 40mm white silk.
(e) The hood for a PhD Degree shall be made of material of the colour 'post office red' (BCC No. 209) and shall be lined with 'university blue' (BCC No. 90).
(f) The hood of other Doctors Degrees shall be the Master's hood appropriate to the discipline in which the degree was taken.
|BCC Name||BCC No.|
|Advanced Leadership||Indian Yellow||6|
|Applied Linguistics||Rose Pink||32|
|Applied Statistics||Parma Violet||216|
|Business Information||Indian Yellow||6|
|Business Studies||Indian Yellow||6|
|Clinical Psychology||Rose Pink||32|
|Creative Media Production||White||1|
|Creative Writing||Rose Pink||32|
|Dairy Science and Technology||Claret||36|
|Development Administration||Rose Pink||32|
|Educational Administration and Leadership||Gull Grey||81|
|Educational Psychology||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Educational Studies||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Emergency Management||Forget-Me-Not Blue||84|
|Environmental Management||Tartan Green||26|
|Health Service Management||Indian Yellow||6|
|Horticulture(Bus), (Sc) or (Tech)||Tartan Green||26|
|Information Science||Parma Violet||216|
|Information Systems||Indian Yellow||6|
|International Development||Forget-Me-Not Blue||84|
|Literacy Education||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Logistics and Supply Chain Management||Smalt Blue||147|
|Māori Visual Arts||Black, Overprinted With Silver Motif|
|Medical Laboratory Science||Jade||122|
|Natural Sciences||Smalt Blue||147|
|Professional Accounting and Finance||Indian Yellow||6|
|Professional Public Relations||Indian Yellow||6|
|Public Administration||Indian Yellow||6|
|Public Policy||Rose Pink||32|
|Retail and Business Management||Indian Yellow||6|
|Resource and Environmental Planning||Forget-Me-Not Blue||84|
|Social Work||Horse Chestnut||134|
|Specialist Teaching||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Speech and Language Therapy||Emerald||213|
|Sport and Exercise||Indian Yellow||6|
|Sport Management||Indian Yellow||6|
|Teaching and Learning||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages Leadership||Tuscan Yellow||233|
|Te Aho Tātairangi||Tuscan Yellow Overprinted with Yellow Motif||233|
|Te Aho Paerewa||Tuscan Yellow Overprinted with Yellow Motif||233|
|Veterinary Medicine||Imperial Purple||109|
|Veterinary Science||Imperial Purple||109|
|Veterinary Studies||Imperial Purple||109|
Graduates in a conjoint programme of two degrees may choose which of the relevant hoods they will wear.
6. The stole for diplomas is made of black material with a 15mm band of the colour light blue (BCC 84 forget-me-not) on the inner margin and the Massey University Symbol (the University Coat of Arms) 75mm in diameter embroidered in light blue 75mm above the lower margin on the left side.
As an alternative to wearing the stole, diplomates who also hold a degree may wear the robes of that degree.
7. (a) The headgear for Bachelors, Masters and for diplomates who are graduates is a black trencher with tassel.
(b) The headgear for Doctors Degrees is a black velvet bonnet as for the Oxford Doctor of Civil Law.
Note: Academic gowns, hoods and trenchers are available for hire from Academic Dress Hire.
P.O. Box 1713, Palmerston North, www.masseygowns.org.nz
PO Box 31261, Milford, Auckland 0741, www.albanyacademicdress.co.nz
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 08 October 2019