COVID-19 update: All of New Zealand is now at Orange. More information.
BackMassey Qualification Regulations
- University Calendar
- General University Information
- Diary of Key Dates
- Massey Qualification Regulations
- Studying at Massey University
- Enrolment at Massey University
- Glossary of terms
- Prescriptions and Schedule of Courses
For help with understanding these important regulations, please watch our video.
The Degree of Master of Design
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Degree of Master of Design requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified;
(b) have been awarded or qualified for a relevant Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification with a grade average of at least B; or
(c) have been awarded or qualified for the Bachelor of Design (Honours) or the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) with a grade average of at least B in Part 4 courses, or equivalent; or
(d) have been awarded or qualified for the Postgraduate Diploma in Design with a grade average of at least B, or equivalent; or
(e) have been granted admission under the Admission with Equivalent Status regulations and demonstrate practical, professional and scholarly experience at an appropriate level;
and will have:
(f) been selected into the programme on the basis of an interview and assessment of a portfolio of design work prepared by the candidate.
2. Candidates for the Degree of Master of Design shall follow a parts-based programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 180 approved credits and include completion of Part One and Part Two. The requirements for Part One and Part Two are prescribed in the Schedule for the Qualification.
3. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, the programme of study for a candidate who has been awarded or qualified for the Bachelor of Design (Honours), Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours), Postgraduate Diploma in Design, or equivalent, shall consist of thesis courses totalling 120 credits, as prescribed in Part Two in the Schedule for the Qualification.
4. This qualification is awarded without specialisation.
5. In cases of sufficient merit, the Degree of Master of Design may be awarded with distinction or merit.
6. For progression to Part Two of the Master of Design, candidates must have maintained a grade average of at least B over the 60 credits undertaken for Part One.
7. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates will apply.
8. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes.
Unsatisfactory Academic Progress
9. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
Schedule for the Master of Design
Part One (60 credits from)
Compulsory course (30 credits from)
197.701 Creative Research Practices I 30 credits
Subject courses (30 credits from)
197.703 Creative Research Special Topic A 30 credits
197.704 Creative Research Special Topic B 15 credits
197.705 Independent Study 15 credits
197.706 Advanced Digital Fabrication for Creative Res 1 15 credits
P Appraisal Required
197.707 Advanced Digital Fabrication for Creative Res 2 15 credits
P Appraisal Required
Any 400-level or 700-level elective course listed in Schedule C for the Degree of Bachelor of Design with Honours
Part Two (120 credits from)
197.800 Design Thesis 120 credits
197.802 Design Thesis 120 Credit Part 1 60 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Thursday 13 January 2022