The Wellington region is at Alert Level 2. Massey COVID-19 information.
BackMassey Qualification Regulations
- University Calendar
- General University Information
- Diary of Key Dates
- Massey Qualification Regulations
- Studying at Massey University
- Enrolment at Massey University
- Glossary of terms
- Prescriptions and Schedule of Courses
- Help using the Massey University Calendar
For help with understanding these important regulations, please watch our video.
The Degree of Master of Sport Management
No new enrolments
These regulations are to be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
1. Admission to the Degree of Master of Sport Management requires that the candidate will:
(a) meet the University admission requirements as specified; and
(b) have been awarded or qualified for the Bachelor degree, or equivalent qualification, having achieved a grade average of at least a B- in the highest level courses; or
(c) have been awarded or qualified for the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management or the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport and Exercise with an endorsement in Sport Management, having achieved a grade average of B.
2. Candidates for the Degree of Master of Sport Management shall follow a parts-based programme of study, which shall consist of courses totalling at least 180 credits comprising Part One and Part Two as defined by the Schedule to the Degree, and including:
(a) a Professional Practice course of 60 credits;
(b) any compulsory courses identified in the Schedule to the Degree;
(c) attending field trips, studios, workshops, tutorials, and laboratories as required.
3. Notwithstanding Regulation 2, the programme of study for candidates admitted under regulation 1(c) will comprise 120 credits including:
(b) Part Two: 234.832.
4. The Degree of Master of Sport Management is awarded without Specialisation.
5. For progression from Part One to Part Two, candidates must have achieved a Grade Average of at least B over 120 credits of the Part One courses, including the compulsory courses.
6. In cases of sufficient merit, the Degree of Master of Sport Management may be awarded with Distinction or Merit.
7. The timeframes for completion as outlined in the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates will apply.
8. Candidates may be graduated when they meet the Admission, Qualification and Academic requirements within the prescribed timeframes. Candidates who do not meet the requirements for progression from Part One to Part Two, or who do not meet the requirements for graduation may, subject to the approval of Academic Board, be awarded the Postgraduate Diploma in Sport Management should they meet the relevant Qualification requirements.
Unsatisfactory Academic Progress
9. The general Unsatisfactory Academic Progress regulations will apply.
Schedule for the Master of Sport Management
Part One (120 credits from)
152.752 Project Management 30 credits
234.731 Advanced Sport in the Social Context 30 credits
234.732 Advanced Sport Management 30 credits
Part Two (60 credits from)
234.832 Professional Practice in Sport Management 60 credits
Page authorised by Academic Manager
Last updated on Wednesday 23 September 2020