Frequently asked questions


The Ministry of Education has advised staff and students from New Zealand tertiary institutions who may be at risk of exposure because they have recently been to China, or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with the virus, to delay the start of their study or work year for 14 days and voluntarily stay away. For more information on what that means, visit this page.


For the most up to date health information please see the Ministry of Health website. 


COVID-19 and studying online from China 新型冠状病毒和在中国在线学习

How will the University facilitate my online learning if required? 如果需要,大学将如何促进我的在线学习  

If you are selecting courses in your online portal and still intend to come to NZ, you may remain in the internal offering of the relevant course. Additional online materials may be available on Stream for you to access. 

如果你在在线门户上选择课程,之后依然打算前往新西兰,请依然选择相关课程的校内授课方式(Internal offering)。Stream上可能会提供另外的在线资料供您访问。

When you arrive in New Zealand you may continue your qualification in the face-to-face classes.


In some cases, a particular course cannot be completed online and you will be encouraged to switch to an alternative course. 


Please contact the National Contact Centre on +64 6 350 5701 to speak to our staff about your study options. 

请致电梅西National Contact Centre:+64 6 350 5701和我们的员工讨论你的学习选项。

The Massey Digital Innovation Team has undertaken work to improve the stability of Stream (Massey’s online learning environment) in China for this period.


Who do I contact to discuss my study options/alternative arrangements?

Please contact the National Contact Centre on 0800 Massey (0800 627 739 from within New Zealand and +64 6 350 5701 from outside New Zealand).

请联系梅西National Contact Centre新西兰地区请拨打0800Massey(627 739)  ,新西兰以外地区请拨打+6463505701

What should I do if I am having issues connecting to Stream? 如果我在连接Stream时遇到问题怎么办?

Please be assured that we are working on multiple options to help alleviate this experience. Please continue to use Stream by trying to log on multiple times and at different times of the day to gain access while we work on improving this connectivity for you.


When is the latest I can enrol and is there any flexibility on this?

If you are a student affected by the coronavirus situation, we are offering flexibility with admission and enrolment dates. 


  • The last day to apply for admission is now Friday February 21.
  • 提交申请的最后一天是2月21日,星期五。 
  • The last day to apply for course enrolment is now Monday March 9. 
  • 选课的最后一天是3月9日,星期一。 
    However, we strongly advise you to enrol as soon as possible so you can commence your study programme when Semester One starts on February 24. In most cases, if you are unable to travel to New Zealand you will be assisted to commence your studies online. If you are an affected student you will be contacted with more specific advice. 

但是,我们强烈建议您学生尽快注册入学,以便他们于2月24日第一学期开始时开始他们的学习。在大多数情况下,我们会为无法前往新西兰的学生提供开始线上学习的帮助。如果您受影响 的学生将获得更具体的建议。 

What do I do if I am enrolled in Semester One study and cannot travel?
如果我已注册入读第一学期(Semester One)学习然而无法到达新西兰,该怎么办?

We know this has affected many of our students and we want to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to help you to continue with your studies. Massey University has world-class online learning facilities, and you may be able to continue your studies off-campus. Please contact the National Contact Centre on +64 6 350 5701 to speak to our staff about your study options.

我们知道这已影响到我们的很多学生,我们想向您保证,我们正在尽最大的努力帮助您继续学习。梅西大学拥有世界一流的在线学习设施,您可以在校外继续学习。请联系梅西 National Contact Centre 新西兰地区请拨打0800 Massey(627 739) ,新西兰以外地区请拨打+6463505701讨论您的学习选择。

What do I do if I am an international PhD student who cannot return to New Zealand due to travel restrictions in China?

Please keep the Graduate Research School informed by emailing

请发送邮件至通知梅西 Graduate Research School

Will the Chinese Education Authorities still recognise my qualification if I am required to learn online? 如果我需要在线学习,中国教育部门是够仍然可以认可我的学位?

Online learning undertaken as a result of disruption to study due to the coronavirus outbreak will be approved by the Chinese Education Authorities and will not impact the recognition of your qualification, obtained at Massey, on your return to China. 


The Chinese Education Authorities have confirmed this approval for online learning applies to a maximum of four undergraduate courses and postgraduate courses up to a maximum of 60 credits, selected for the Semester One study period only (from Feb – July 2020). 


What if I have ordered a book and cannot collect it?

If Campus Books have a firm order for a hard copy textbook and the publisher has an ebook version then Campus Books can seek permission for the student to access the ebook version until they are able to collect the hard copy textbook.


COVID-19 and studying on campus in New Zealand 新型冠状病毒和在新西兰在校学习

What do I do if I cannot travel and I am running low on medication prescribed by my Massey University Student Health Centre?

You will need to see a doctor in your local area. New Zealand doctors cannot send prescriptions overseas.


COVID-19 and studying on campus in New Zealand 新型冠状病毒和在新西兰在校学习

What steps has the University taken to protect students and staff?

  • All students who are deemed at high risk of exposure to the coronavirus are required to self-isolate for 14 days. For more information on who is considered high risk please visit this page. We will be supporting students who are required to self-isolate to ensure their ongoing wellbeing and we can support students to self-isolate in our student accommodation.
  • 所有被认为有高风险暴露于新型冠状病毒的学生都必须自我隔离14天。更多有关高风险人群定义,请访问这个页面。 我们会对需要自我隔离的学生提供协助以保证他们持续的健康状态。
  • The University has convened a working group which is working through the logistics of the impacts on our students and staff.
  • 梅西大学召集了一个工作组,负责对学生和员工受到影响后的后勤工作。
  • We have contacted our partner organisations in China and are discussing alternative arrangements.
  • 我们已于中国的合作伙伴取得联系,并正在讨论其他安排。
  • We have alerted the relevant public health organisations in our campus locations of Auckland, Wellington and Palmerston North to ensure staff are aware to watch for symptoms and ensure the necessary resources are obtained if the coronavirus were brought to any of the three regions.
  • 我们已通知在奥克兰、惠灵顿和北帕默斯顿校区内相关公共健康组织,以确保工作人员留意观察症状,并且确保如果新型冠状病毒进入三个校区的任何一个,我们可以获得需要的资源。
  • Massey’s Student Services will include information during Orientation Week (starting Feb 17) about the symptoms and risks of this virus to students. We will share information with teaching staff for dissemination in first classes.
  • 梅西的学生服务中心将在国际迎新周(2月17日开始)中积极向学生提供有关该病毒的症状和风险的信息,并且我们将与教职工共享这些信息,以便在第一堂课上进行宣传。
  • Students who have self-identified as being at risk of exposure because they have recently been to China or been in close contact with someone confirmed with the virus are asked not to attend summer school exams and instead apply for Aegrotat consideration.
  • Students sitting summer school exams in Hong Kong have been provided information from the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessments Authority on taking extra care of personal hygiene and health before and during their exams.
  • The Hong Kong Examinations and Assessments Authority has also provided specific information to the exam supervisors on taking care of themselves and the students, including what to look out for and who to contact.
  • All overseas examination centres have provided similar information for students and supervisors.
  • All New Zealand-based supervisors have been provided with information about what to do on the day of exams if students present wearing masks, what to tell all students about the wearing of masks and what to do if any student becomes unwell prior to, or during, an exam.

Does Massey have any reported cases of the virus?

Massey University has so far received no reports of staff or students being directly affected by the coronavirus. Staff and students have been advised of the Ministry of Health’s recommendations relating to the virus.


What is the University doing to keep me safe?

All students who are deemed at high risk of exposure to the coronavirus are required to self-isolate for 14 days. For more information on who is considered high risk please visit this page.


Is Orientation Week going ahead?

Yes, Orientation Week, including International Registration and Welcome on all our campuses, is going ahead as planned. Students who are enrolled can also access our online preparation course Getting Started which is available on Stream.

是的,我们所有校园的迎新周,包括国际生注册和欢迎仪式,都按计划进行。已注册的学生还可以通过Stream访问我们的在线准备课程——Getting Started

I’m concerned about exposure. Do I have to attend classes?

Yes – as the risk of exposure is low (no current cases in New Zealand), there is no immediate or serious threat to health or safety. All students who are at high risk of having been exposed to the coronavirus are required to self-isolate for 14 days. For more information on who is considered high risk please visit this page.


How often are public facilities cleaned on campus?

Public facilities are cleaned regularly as usual. Massey is liaising with cleaning contractors about further protocols which can be put in place when necessary.


Your student visa 您的学生签证 

I have more questions about my student visa. Who can I talk to? 我对学生签证还有其他疑问,我可以和谁讨论?

Student visa holders or applicants who have more questions should contact Immigration New Zealand about their situation.


What happens if I am unable to arrive in NZ by the “first entry before” date on my student visa due to travel restrictions?  我已经获得学生签证的批准,但是由于旅行限制,我无法在签证的“首次入境”日期之前到达新西兰。在这种情况下,我需要申请新的学生签证吗?

A number of students hold visas with travel conditions indicating a date that they must enter New Zealand by and have been concerned that, due to the travel restrictions, they may miss that date. To help facilitate individuals in this situation, Immigration NZ has decided to extend the “first entry before” date on all student visa holders affected by the travel restrictions. More details will be released about this process on the Immigration New Zealand website.


What if I am a returning student who holds a current visa (valid to 31 March 2020) and I am not able to return to NZ because of travel restrictions?  如果我是持有效签证的返校学生(有效期至2020年3月31日),但由于旅行限制而无法回到新西兰怎么办? 

Returning students can commence study online from offshore. Please make sure you contact the National Contact Centre to discuss your study options.   

返校学生可以从海外开始在线学习,请确保您与梅西National Contact Centre联系,讨论你的学习选项。 

If your 2019 visa (valid to 31 March 2020) expires before you can travel back to New Zealand, you will need to apply for a new student visa. We will provide further advice about renewing your visa if the restrictions continue into March 2020.   


Your travel insurance 您的旅行保险 

How is my Studentsafe insurance policy affected by the COVID-19 coronavirus? COVID-19冠状病毒对我的学生保险有何影响? 

If you are a new student, your Studentsafe inbound policy becomes effective 31 days prior to your course start date. You will be covered for Semester One programmes that commence on 24 February, but if your programme commences after this date, you are unlikely to be covered.


If you are a returning student who was insured in the preceding semester and are continuing with your studies, you are likely to have continuous cover as long as you are enrolled. More information is available on the University’s Studentsafe Insurance page.


The coronavirus was recognised as a global emergency on 30 January 2020. From this date, if you depart your home country you will not be covered for insurance claims relating to coronavirus matters.


Who do I contact for further information on my Studentsafe policy? 我应该联系谁以获取有关学生安全政策的更多信息? 

If you have an active Studentsafe inbound policy and wish to discuss a claim or how this applies to your situation, contact Studentsafe directly.


Telephone 电话: 0800 486 004 or +64 9 488 1638

Email 邮件:

Your accommodation 您的住宿 

What if I am booked to stay in student accommodation or a homestay?

If you have a confirmed place in Massey University accommodation for 2020 and are not impacted by the travel restrictions currently in place, you can move in and should arrive as expected on or before February 16.


There will be flexibility given to students in Massey University student accommodation or homestays to manage the impact of the travel restrictions and health advice received. This includes assistance with late arrivals, withdrawals and the need for isolation. Please contact if you need further assistance with your situation.    


What if I need to self-isolate when I arrive at my student accommodation? 如果我到达学生宿舍时需要自我隔离怎么办? 

If you know that you will need to self-isolate on arrival, or if you would like to check if you need to self-isolate, please contact urgently so we can plan for your arrival.


On arrival all residents will be asked to complete a Travel Declaration Form. If, following the completion of the form you are identified as needing to self-isolate, you can stay in your student accommodation and the residential staff will assist you with food and extra cleaning. Those in might be asked to move to a different area of the accommodation and/or to use specific bathroom facilities.


If someone in my accommodation is self-isolating, will I need to self-isolate too? 如果我住处的某人正在进行自我隔离,我也需要自我隔离吗? 

According to the New Zealand Ministry of Health, you do not need to self-isolate just because someone is self-isolating in your student accommodation or homestay. Those in self-isolation should minimise close contact with others, but self-isolating students are not quarantined and are able to spend time outside their bedrooms.


The Ministry of Health recommends those in shared living situations should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, pillows, or other items. After use, the self-isolating person should wash these items thoroughly with soap and water, place them in the dishwasher for cleaning, or wash them in a washing machine. Please note that the Ministry of Health has said that only those people who have travelled to mainland China need to self-isolate, not any other people who they may be living with.


I was booked into private accommodation and have been asked to find alternative accommodation.

Massey University will assist you in your search for alternative accommodation. Please contact the to discuss your options and receive support.


Medical advice and self-isolation 医疗建议和自我隔离 

What precautions can I take to prevent contracting the virus?

Good hand hygiene and cough etiquette - maintain distance, cover coughs and sneezes with disposable tissues or clothing, and wash hands before touching your face or eating.


Do I need to wear a face mask?

Aside from medical providers treating ill patients, there is no need to wear a face mask. If ill, and potentially exposed to the virus, a mask should be worn until assessed by a medical practitioner.


What should I do if I become ill?

  • Call your registered GP clinic or the dedicated 0800 number set up by Healthline specifically for health-related calls about coronavirus. They will take an adequate history to see if you meet the case definition, and then will determine a follow-up plan.
  • 致电您注册的GP诊所或Healthline专用号码,该号码专门为与冠状病毒有关的健康相关问题设置。他们将获得足够的历史记录,以查看您是否满足病例定义,然后确定后续计划。
  • The dedicated number for health-related calls about coronavirus is 0800 358 5453, or for international callers +64 9 358 5453.
  • 有关冠状病毒的健康相关电话的专用号码是0800 358 5453,或国际电话+64 9 358 5453。
  • People calling that line will be able to talk with a member of the National Telehealth Service and interpreters will be on hand. The number is staffed by nurses, paramedics and health advisors.
  • 致电该专线的人将能够与国家远程医疗服务的成员交谈,并且配备翻译人员。人员由护士、护理人员和健康顾问组成。
  • Please don’t attend a GP or the Health and Counselling centre without calling first for advice.
  • 请不要在未事先致电寻求建议的情况下前往GP或者健康与咨询中心。

I’ve returned from China, or am in close contact with someone who may have been exposed – what do I need to do?

  • All students who are deemed at high risk of exposure to the coronavirus are required to self-isolate for 14 days. For more information on who is considered high risk please visit this page. Please let us know if you are currently self-isolating and need any assistance by calling the National Contact Centre on +64 6 350 5701.
  • 所有被认为有高风险暴露于冠状病毒的学生都必须自我隔离14天。更多有关高风险人群定义,请访问这个页面。如果你目前正在自我隔离,并且需要任何帮助,请致电梅西 National Contact Centre:+64 6 350 5701
  • Call your GP or Healthline on 0800 611 116 for advice in the first instance.
  • 首先先致电你的GP或健康热线:0800 611 116

What should I do if my immune system is compromised? 如果我的免疫系统受损了,我该怎么做? 

Students who have a compromised immune system should seek advice from their medical treatment provider that is specific to their situation and needs. Once that advice has been received, contact the National Contact Centre on +64 6 350 5701 and they will then work with you to find any reasonable adjustments that can be made to your study arrangements.

免疫系统受损的学生应向他们的医疗服务提供者咨询有关其具体情况和需求的建议。收到建议后,请致电+64 6 350 5701与梅西National Contact Centre 联系,然后他们将与您一起寻找可以对您的学习安排进行任何合理调整的方法。

What does self isolation mean?  自我隔离是什么意思? 

Self-isolation has been defined by the Ministry of Health as taking simple, common-sense steps to avoid, as much as possible, close contact with other people. This means avoiding face-to-face contact closer than one metre for more than 15 minutes. In a university setting this means classes, exams, orientation, the gym, meetings, church or the dining hall.


It is important that those self-isolating cover their mouth and nose with a tissue when they cough or sneeze. Used tissues should be thrown away in a lined trash can and hands should immediately be thoroughly cleaned. This also means using soap and water and washing for at least 20 seconds. Alternatively, students can use a hand sanitiser if soap and water are not available and if hands are not visibly dirty. The Ministry of Health suggests frequent hand washing and avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Those who are self-isolating should get a friend, family member, or delivery services to carry out errands like supermarket shopping on their behalf. Full and up-to-date information on self-isolation is available on the Ministry of Health website.  


What if I need to travel within New Zealand but I also need to self-isolate?  如果我需要在新西兰旅行,但我又需要自我隔离怎么办?

Some students may need to travel by plane, train or bus across New Zealand upon arrival. The Ministry of Health has recommended that people minimise their use of public transport, taxis, or ride sharing apps like Uber and avoid crowded public transport, especially during rush hour. If your travel is urgent, or necessary to get to your accommodation, the Ministry of Health recommends that where possible people sit in a window seat, in a row by themselves. During travel they recommend people use hand sanitiser regularly and that the traveller covers their mouth or nose if they cough or sneeze.


I am self-isolating and I would like to talk with a counsellor or other health professional 我是自我隔离者,如果我想和辅导员或其他卫生专业人员交谈呢

Self-isolating can be stressful, and people can feel lonely. The Ministry of Health recommends sticking to a routine such as having regular mealtimes, bedtimes and exercising. They also suggest those self-isolating reach out to their usual supports, like family and friends. Those living with people who are self-isolating should be considerate of the person’s feelings and mental wellbeing, remembering they are not in quarantine and should not be ostracised.


Our Student Counselling team are also available to provide support via telephone or Skype. People can also to talk with a trained counsellor by calling or texting 1737 from New Zealand – free, anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.


Media enquiries:

Please contact


Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey