Our campuses are currently closed to the public. Visit www.massey.ac.nz/coronavirus for our COVID-19 updates

Hardship grant, accommodation and travel

New COVID-19 student hardship grant


We are pleased to announce a new grant to assist those of you suffering hardship due to the impact of COVID-19. The grants, of up to $750, are designed to assist with those costs that none of us could have predicted before the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Massey University Students Association Federation has partnered with us to adminster  this grant. To apply, or get more details on the criteria and documentation required, visit the MUSA website.

Advice for international students in New Zealand

The University is encouraging international students to remain in New Zealand during the lockdown period and beyond.

The move to digital learning is focused on your health and wellbeing, and the student support for this is well established in New Zealand.

Travelling to return to your home country at this time could potentially risk your health, as well as your studies. It may also be difficult for you to return to New Zealand at a later date.

You can also register with NauMai NZ, which is especially for international students, for regular updates, information and support, including advice on looking after yourself and staying healthy and well.

The Government’s advice to stay safe is to remain in your residence or student accommodation.

Your accommodation

What if I need to self-isolate when I arrive at my student accommodation?

If you know that you will need to self-isolate on arrival, or if you would like to check if you need to self-isolate, please contact accommodationhelp@massey.ac.nz urgently so we can plan for your arrival.

On arrival all residents will be asked to complete a Travel Declaration Form. If, following the completion of the form you are identified as needing to self-isolate, you can stay in your student accommodation and the residential staff will assist you with food and extra cleaning. Those in might be asked to move to a different area of the accommodation and/or to use specific bathroom facilities.

If someone in my accommodation is self-isolating, will I need to self-isolate too?

According to the New Zealand Ministry of Health, you do not need to self-isolate just because someone is self-isolating in your student accommodation or homestay. Those in self-isolation should minimise close contact with others, but self-isolating students are not quarantined and are able to spend time outside their bedrooms.

The Ministry of Health recommends those in shared living situations should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, pillows, or other items. After use, the self-isolating person should wash these items thoroughly with soap and water, place them in the dishwasher for cleaning, or wash them in a washing machine.

Your student visa

My current visa is due to expire - what do I do?

Holders of a work, student, or visitor visa with an expiry date of 1 April, 2020 or earlier, and who are unable to leave New Zealand must apply online for a new visa. Please use the Immigration Online visa service to apply to renew your student visa as soon as possible. In order to speed up the processing time, wherever possible your supporting documents should be in English.

You can download your required study-related documents from your Massey Portal. An interim visa will be issued. Holders of a work, student, visitor, limited or interim visa with an expiry date of April 2 to July 9, 2020 inclusive, who are in New Zealand on April 2, 2020 will have their visas automatically extended to September 25, 2020.

Confirmation of extensions will be emailed to all visa holders.

What do I do if I need a post study work visa in the near future? 

If you are completing your study this semester and planning to apply for a post study work visa, please ensure you renew your student visa (if needed). You will be able to apply for your work visa once you have completed your qualification.

I have more questions about my student visa. Who can I talk to?

Student visa holders or applicants who have more questions should contact Immigration New Zealand about their situation.

Your travel insurance

How is my Studentsafe insurance policy affected by the COVID-19 coronavirus? COVID-19

If you are a new student, your Studentsafe inbound policy becomes effective 31 days prior to your course start date. You will be covered for Semester One programmes that commence on 24 February, but if your programme commences after this date, you are unlikely to be covered.

If you are a returning student who was insured in the preceding semester and are continuing with your studies, you are likely to have continuous cover as long as you are enrolled. More information is available on the University’s Studentsafe Insurance page.

The coronavirus was recognised as a global emergency on 30 January 2020. From this date, if you depart your home country you will not be covered for insurance claims relating to coronavirus matters.

Who do I contact for further information on my Studentsafe policy?

If you have an active Studentsafe inbound policy and wish to discuss a claim or how this applies to your situation, contact Studentsafe directly.

Telephone: 0800 486 004 or +64 9 488 1638

Email: claims@insurancesafenz.co.nz

Massey Contact Centre Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 contact@massey.ac.nz Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey