Careers in languages and linguistics
Where could studying languages and linguistics take you?
Massey offers programmes in linguistics, speech and language therapy, and languages (English for university preparation, Chinese, French, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish and te reo Māori). Discover where a qualification in languages and linguistics could take you.
Your love of languages will give you an edge in the international job market.
Career paths you might explore in languages include:
- Foreign affairs
- Health care
- International business
- Immigration and customs
- Policy analysis
- Trade and commerce
- Travel and tourism
The study of linguistics or applied linguistics helps you understand the development of language and can lead to an array of careers.
Career paths you might explore in linguistics include:
- Education: ESOL teacher, language teacher, literacy advisor, university lecturer
- Business, administration and law: communications advisor, interpreter/translator, forensic document analyst
- Government departments: policy analyst, researcher, cultural adviser, immigrations officer
- Publishing, journalism, media and advertising: writer/editor, advertising consultant
- IT: computer analyst/programmer
Meet our graduates
My study experience was amazing.Christine Feuillade
Bachelor of Arts (Spanish, Minor in French)
I ended up with my dream job working with adults who have speech, language or swallowing difficulties mainly as a result of brain injury.Karen Sturge
Bachelor of Speech and Language Therapy
I have found the skills I learnt from the degree to be hugely valuable across the different fields I have found myself in.Rebecca Forrest
Bachelor of Communication (Linguistics)