Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.

Admission and Enrolment

Am I an international student?

You are considered an international student if you are not a New Zealand Citizen or a New Zealand permanent resident.


What is the difference between admission and enrolment?

As an international student, the first step is to be assessed for admission into the University by applying to study. Once you have been granted admission and paid your fees, you will be able to enrol in your courses.

Back to top

What should I do if my documents are not in English?

Documents in other languages must be translated into English and verified in English by an authorised translator. You need to provide Massey with both the original document in your own language, as well as the English translated version. Students and Education Agents are not permitted to translate documents.

Find out more about how to get your documents officially verified.

Back to top

Do I need to send original copies of my English language test score?

Students who have sat the Academic IELTS test must provide a copy of their test results, which Massey University will verify online.

The Massey Institution Code for TOEFL is 9840.

Back to top

Am I able to study extramurally (by distance learning)?

International students cannot study in a fully extramural (distance learning) programme on a student visa while in New Zealand, but may be able to study a limited number of extramural courses with approval. Extramural enrolment may be permitted for candidates living outside New Zealand who are not New Zealand citizens. The process for setting tuition fees is the same as for other international full fee-paying students studying at Massey University. Enrolment in international off-shore extramural programmes may be subject to special terms and conditions as determined and approved by the Academic Board. Particular programmes of study and courses may have a residential requirement which has a face-to-face dimension. Approval for offshore extramural education is subject to the requirements of the University's Policy relating to the International Delivery of Qualifications.

Note: Enrolment by extramural education will not normally be approved for citizens of the People's Republic of China in order to ensure degree recognition. Any exception requires approval by the Pro Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the College responsible for the student's programme of study. Read our enrolment regulations for further details.

  • Applicants on a work visa can study extramurally while resident in New Zealand but must apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service for a Variation of Condition on their work visa to enable them to study while working full-time. A maximum of 30 credits may be taken in any one semester

  • New Zealand permanent residents living outside New Zealand may enrol in extramural study but are not eligible for domestic tuition fees. The normal international student tuition fee rates will apply when studying outside of New Zealand.

Back to top

Am I able to study part-time?

Please check all visa details with the Immigration New Zealand office nearest you, as immigration policy is liable to change.

In general, please note the following:  

  • International students must study full-time on campus while on a student visa
  • Applicants on a Work Visa are able to study part-time
  • Applicants on a Working Holiday Visa can undertake one course of study for less than three months - otherwise they require a Variation of Conditions but if studying is the main reason for being in New Zealand, then a Student Permit must be applied for. A Student Permit overrides the Working Holiday Permit and you cannot apply for another one

Back to top

Am I able to work while studying in New Zealand?

International Students studying full-time on a student visa are able to work part-time for up to 20 hours per week. You will be required to apply for a variation of conditions on your student visa to enable you to work. Study Abroad students or exchange students studying for one semester are not able to work while studying.

We recommend you refer to the NZ Study + Work Immigration website, or visit an Immigration New Zealand office near you for the further information (external website).

Back to top

Do I need GRE to apply to study at Massey?

GRE is required from applicants for direct entry into the Bachelor of Veterinary Science (July intake) only. Find out more about the specific Veterinary Science requirements.

Back to top

How and when do I choose my courses/programmes for enrolment/registration?

Once you have received an Offer of Place from Massey and confirmed your offer, you are then able to enrol into the Programme (such as Bachelor of Business Studies) as well as select the individual courses (commonly known as units/modules/courses) you would like to study (such as 115.108 Organisations and Management).

Students should enrol early and must adhere to the enrolment deadline. Search the list of courses offered at Massey.

Back to top

What happens if my Offer of Place expires?

If your Offer of Place has expired or is due to expire shortly, please contact the International Team quoting your full name and Massey student ID number.

It may be possible to grant you an extension to the expiry date without your application having to be reassessed, depending on your approved programme.

Back to top