Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.

Insurance for international students

Is it compulsory for me to have insurance while studying at Massey University?

Yes, all international students are required to be covered by an appropriate medical and travel insurance policy for the duration of their study period at Massey University. This is a New Zealand government requirement. Please refer to the medical and travel insurance information which outlines the minimum requirements for insurance policies.


Can I get a family insurance policy through the University?

Yes. Once you have confirmed your travel plans, please complete the Family Cover Application and send this completed form to the International Student Support Office at your intended campus.

Back to top

When does insurance coverage start?

Coverage begins the moment the student begins travelling to New Zealand, provided it is no earlier than 31 days prior to the course starting, but only includes travel and stopovers necessary to reach your destination.

If you wish to take a vacation enroute, or travel earlier than 31 days prior to your course start date, please contact the insurer to arrange more cover.

Back to top

I already have medical insurance; why do I need more?

Some countries have medical insurance programmes in lieu of universal public health provision. These policies generally provide coverage specific to your home country and are not tailored to meet students' travel, health, and personal property insurance needs whilst abroad. They do not comply with the requirements of the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016.

Find out more about whether your policy is suitable, and investigate alternative insurance options.

Back to top

I have an existing medical condition; will it be covered?

Pre-existing conditions are excluded from cover under the insurance policy, unless you make a special arrangement with the insurer to have such conditions accepted. You must notify the insurer of any pre-existing medical conditions using the Medical Risk Assessment Form.

Pre-existing medical conditions may mean you are unable to secure a visa for New Zealand, and you must advise the University if you are unable to secure insurance for a particular medical condition.

You must also advise the University if you have any health conditions that may impact your ability to participate in normal University activities.

Back to top

I have more questions regarding insurance; how can I find out more?

    Back to top