Entry requirements for study abroad and inbound exchange students

Colour Festival.jpg Our academic and English-language entry requirements help ensure you are prepared to study at Massey University.

Academic entry requirements

Study Abroad and Inbound Exchange applicants must meet the following requirements:

  • Currently studying toward a Bachelor's or Master's degree at the home university.
  • Successfully completed an Associate degree or at least one year of university-level study.
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent for all higher education work. Students with a lower GPA can be considered where special circumstances exist.
  • Have permission from the home university to study at Massey University.

Inbound Exchange applicants must also:

English language entry requirements

Students from a country where English is not the first language must obtain a minimum English language competency level. Some programmes require a higher level of English language competency than the minimum requirement.

Massey University recognises the following English language examinations:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Only Academic IELTS scores are acceptable. A scanned copy of your academic IELTS scores is acceptable, as Massey can verify your results online.

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    A scanned copy of your TOEFL scores is acceptable, as Massey is able to verify your results online. (This applies to iBT test results only.)

Test scores for English proficiency are valid for two years from the test date.

If you have taken a test other than IELTS or TOEFL, include it with your Application for Admission so it can be considered.



PTE Academic

Cambridge English

DAAD (German students only)


6.0 (no band less than 5.0)

80 overall (min 19 in Writing)

50 overall (min 42 in communicative skills)


B2 in each section


6.5 (no band less than 6)

90 overall (min 20 in Writing)

58 overall (min 50 in communicative skills)


C1 in each section and a letter of support from your home university