Before you arrive in New Zealand

Once you have been admitted to Massey University and your tuition payment has been paid or arranged, there are still a number of things you need to do to.

Checklist of tasks before you arrive New Zealand

  • Passport and Visa - You must arrive in New Zealand with a Massey University Student Visa with the correct programme of study and campus indicated on it. You can get information about visa requirements and how to apply for a student visa from the Immigration New Zealand website. If you need to change your visa, you must do this before the end of the first week of classes otherwise your enrolment may be withdrawn.
  • Medical & Travel Insurance - International medical and travel insurance is required for New Zealand student visa holders. Insurance cover must comply with the New Zealand Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Studentsafe Insurance arranged by Massey University does not cover pre-existing conditions and family members. You must apply for those separately. For more information, please click here.
  • Banking - All customers opening a new bank account in New Zealand need to provide information about their overseas tax status. You will need to provide your tax identification number (TIN) or functional equivalent number. Please see the following link for some banking options here.
  • Provide any outstanding documents to Massey University.
  • You must provide your student visa and passport details to the International Student Support Office in order to be enrolled.
  • Finalise your accommodation, Student Accommodation at Massey is a good place to start.
  • Alternatively homestay accommodation is also available, and you can find more information about this on here.
  • Apply for a Student ID Card.
  • Book your plane ticket to New Zealand and onward flight to Palmerston North or Wellington if studying at these campuses.
  • If you are living in Massey University campus accommodation, please see the following link regarding airport pick ups, so that you can be met at the airport on arrival Albany | Manawatu | Wellington.
  • Massey University provides a compulsory StudentSafe Medical and Travel Insurance to all international students required by Immigration New Zealand.
  • Remember to declare any pre-existing medical conditions and add family cover to your StudentSafe insurance if it applies.
  • Keep an eye on the Orientation Programme and make sure you attend.
  • Enrol into your programme of study and individual courses through the student Portal and follow instructions. PhD and PaCE students excepted.  
  • Bring approximately NZ$500 in cash with you for your initial expenses. It would also be useful to have access to a credit card when in New Zealand.
  • Arrange to have sufficient funds for your living expenses for the duration of your studies at Massey University.
  • Keep copies of your passport, student visa, air tickets, credit cards and other important documents.
  • It is recommended that you have a dental check-up, have your eyes tested and are up to date with your immunisations before you leave your home country.
  • Get to know New Zealand before you arrive - Immigration New Zealand has a great online tool to help you move and settle in.

Items you should have in your hand luggage

  • Your plane ticket/s
  • Valid passport with a Student Visa to study at Massey University in New Zealand
  • Copies of all the communications you have had with Massey University (Receipt of Payment letter, Offer of Place letter, Accommodation Application and Arrival Form etc.)
  • At least $500 in cash in New Zealand currency
  • Contact details for the International Student Support Staff at your campus - Albany | Manawatu | Wellington
  • Sufficient winter or summer clothes. If you have a national outfit you may wish to bring it with you
  • Laptop, tablet, mobile phone and charger
  • Electrical plug or adaptor for New Zealand
  • Medication - if you take prescribed medication you need to check whether you can bring it to New Zealand. You may need a prescription or letter from your doctor (in English) advising that the drugs have been prescribed for you