- Explore business
- About the Massey Business School
- Enterprise and partnerships
- MBA and Executive Education
- Explore accountancy
- Explore aviation
- Explore media and communication
- Explore business
- School of Management
MPOWER hosts events throughout the year. In addition MPOWER co-host events with other institutions and organisations like HRNZ and the Centre for Labour, Employment and Work (CLEW) at Victoria University of Wellington. Being an MPOWER member allows you to gain access to these events for free or at a reduced cost. If you are interested in becoming a member, please email Jane Parker, the MPOWER coordinator.
Forthcoming MPOWER events and activities
- MPOWER presentation on living wage research (perceptions of a living wage's impact) at the ILERA2000 conference in Toronto, 24-27 July (online):
Perspectives of a lIving wage’s Impact (presented).pptx (2,585 KB)
MPOWER-Massey Business School and the Centre for Labour, Employment and Work (CLEW) at Victoria University of Wellington co-organised seminars on working life in New Zealand on 12 and 14 November 2019. Most of the powerpoints for the presentations can be found below:P
New Zealand working life profile (MPOWER, commissioned by Eurofound): Parker et al_ (MPOWER) - NZ working life profile for Eurofound.pptx (12,200 KB)
Living wage in New Zealand research (MPOWER, GLOW): Arrowsmith et al_ (MPOWER-GLOW) - living wage research in NZ.pptx (2,150 KB)
Gender equity and the role of middle managers in NZ's public service (CLEW, MPOWER, AUT): Donnelly et al_ (CLEW-MPOWER-AUT) - gender equity research.pptx (1,498 KB)
Gender equity and the role of middle managers in Australia's public service (UNSW): Williamson - gender equity and middle managers in the public service in Australia.pdf (943 KB)
Fair pay arrangements and collective employment agreements in New Zealand (CLEW): Stephen Blumenfeld (CLEW-VUW) - FPAs and collective employment agreements.pptx (2,282 KB)
A research agenda for the labour market in New Zealand of the 2020s (MBIE): Rose Ryan (MBIE) - research agenda into the 2020s.pptx (6,223 KB)
MPOWER-Massey University Distinguished Visitor, Professor Dr Christian Welz (European Founation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Dublin). Christi presented a series of seminars, workshops and discussions at Massey, including a public lecture on "Brexit, voice and loyalthy: European social dialogue in turbulent times!". To view the lecture, please visit: https://lnkd.in/gPWYFG3
MPOWER and EPIC researchers at the 2019 HRINZ Awards, Auckland, 28 February 2019.
MPOWER Researcher Development Workshop, 15 November, Massey (Albany) Campus, Room MBS2.15, 10am-12pm
Some of MPOWER's past events and its involvement in others have associated resources (see below):
- 'The Value of Work and its Rules between Innovation and Tradition' International Conference, ADAPT, ILO, CIELO Laboral Network and WEC, Bergamo, Italy, 28-30 November - see: https://wol.iza.org/events/great-transformation-call-for-papers
- International Labour Process Conference (ILPC) 2019, Vienna - powerpoint resources: Coworking presentation - Kate Bone.pdf (1,790 KB) ILPC - Parker and Alakavuklar (2019).pdf (2,232 KB)
- Professor Christian Welz (European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions) - public lecture: https://lnkd.in/gPWYFG3
- MPOWER survey research report on the NZ 2018 Management Capabilities Index (MCI), February.
- Gender Equity report, launched 27 September: The Role of Middle Managers in Progessing Gender Equity Report.pdf (959 KB)
- MPOWER-Wolters Kluwer (CCH publisher) book launch - "The Big Issues in Employment: HR Management and Employment Relations", 26 July, 12-1pm. For more information, please see this flyer: Book launch poster.pdf (744 KB)
- MPOWER-CLEW and Women at Work Stream at the 2018 Gender, Work and Organization Conference in Sydney, 13-16 June
- MPOWER HRM and ER researcher development workshop, July
- MPOWER Researcher Support Awards, 26 September
- Seminar/lecture by Prof. Paul Edwards (Birmingham University) on low pay, 19 April. See poster for info.: Edwards seminar flyer.docx (2,261 KB)
- MPOWER MCI Literature Review and Technical Report: MCI Lit Rev and Technical Report as at 4 April 2018_docx.pdf (1,931 KB)
- SA Partners Continuous Improvement Conference (supported by MPOWER), 30 August
- Labour and Industry Journal - special issue on transformative technology and the future of employment relations
- 2017 women's careers and aspirations survey research report (available on this site): Final Report.pdf (1,355 KB)
- 2017 executive and management education survey report (commissioned by IMNZ) was reported at IMNZ offices in Auckland and Wellington in May: survey report final.pdf (2,266 KB)
- 2nd MPOWER Health and Safety Seminar, 25 July with speakers A.-Prof. Ian Laird, Dr David Tappin and Deirdre Farr: Poster -MPOWER RESEARCH SEMINAR.pptx (855 KB) This followed an earlier seminar by Ian and David
- SA Partners Continuous Improvement Conference (supported by MPOWER), 7 September. Included various speakers, including MPOWER members Chris Till (CEO, HRINZ); Mark Powell (CEO-in-residence, Massey Business School); and Assoc-Prof Jonathan Elms (Director, Massey's Centre for Advanced Retail Studies): NZ Conference 2016-1.pdf (528 KB)
- MPOWER overseas visitor seminar by Dr Stephane Le Queux, 30 May, presenting recent research with Dr Stephanie Graff (JCU) on 'Citizenship and Independence Frontiers in New Caledonia'. Flyer: Seminar notes: Graff Le Queux Massey Handout May 2016.docx (7,507 KB)
- Linda Tirado - public talk and discussion, 18 May (supported in part by MPOWER), US author of Hand to Mouth: The Truth About Being Poor in a Wealthy World and American anti-poverty activist, spoke about poverty in wealthy countries like New Zealand and the US. Flyer:
- MPOWER Panel Seminar, 9 March, "Changes to the Employment Relations Act 2000: One Year On', with Helen White (Helen White Law), Fraser St John-Atkins (Elephant HR) and Jeff Sissons (General Council, NZ Council of Trade Unions) as speakers. Flyer: Speaker resources: White (paper): 9 March - Helen White (762 KB) ; Atkins (ppts): 9 March - Fraser Atkins (2,197 KB) ; Sissons (ppts): 9 March - Jeff Sissons (991 KB)
- EPIC-MPOWER seminar, 12 February, by Prof. Molefe Maleka on "The importance of a Living Wage in South Africa" on 12 February 2016. Flyer: and powerpoints: Molefe presentation on LW.pptx (4,603 KB)
- MPOWER seminar by an overseas visiting scholar, January: A-Prof. Hari Bapuji (Uni. of Manatoba) on organisational strategy, inequality and impact: Video recording: http://webcast.massey.ac.nz/Mediasite/Play/Oecf5f8de59d449ca02c5b23072163fa1d and flyer: MPOWER seminar - Assoc_-Prof Bapuji (26 January 2016).docx (625 KB)
- MPOWER 'After 5' seminar: Prof. Eileen Wibbeke, 25 Nov., on cross-cultural competencies. Flyer, photos: E.B. Wibbeke flyer (615 KB) Prof Wibbeke seminar photos 25 Nov 2015.docx (1,610 KB) . Powerpoints from her earlier talk on "Geoleadership": Prof. E.B. Wibbeke's 'geoleadership' powerpoints (244 KB)
- MPOWER presentation to HRINZ Executive HR Group, Profs Jane Parker and Jarrod Haar, on Living Wage study findings, 20 November, Auckland Central
- SA Partners Continuous Improvement Conference (supported by MPOWER) and MPOWER researcher support awards
- MPOWER-NZ Employment Relations Society Panel Seminar, 27 July, "End of an E.R.A.?", with speakers Dr Stephen Blumenfeld (CLEW), Helen WHite (Helen White Law) and Jeff Sissons (NZCTU)ouncil of Trade Unions). Flyer: MPOWER-NZERS Panel Seminar - 27 July 2015 (433 KB) , powerpoints and notes: Blumenfeld - Stephen Blumenfeld (CLEW - VUW) powerpoints (3,019 KB) , White - Helen White (Helen White Law) notes (25 KB) and Sissons - Jeff Sissons (NZCTU) powerpoints (1,057 KB)
- MPOWER-Warehouse Group Ltd partnership launch, 5 May, at the Sir Stephen Tindall Learning Centre. MPOWER showcased its recent research with NZ's leading organisations around the theme of Organisational Leadership and Diversity. Flyer: MPOWER-TWG Collaboration Launch (156 KB) MPOWER researcher speakers - Prof. Jim Arrowsmith (employee engagement); Prof. Stuart Carr (inclusion and the Living Wage) and Prof. Jarrod Haar (business and modern leadership): About the launch and MPOWER (317 KB) , Business and Leadership - Jarrod Haar (1,125 KB) , Employee Engagement - Jim Arrowsmith (860 KB) , Inclusion and the Living Wage - Stuart Carr (799 KB) and MPOWER-TWG launch photographs (7,165 KB)
- MPOWER Researcher Development Workshops: 7 May MPOWER researcher development workshops 2015.pdf (169 KB)
- New Zealand Industrial/Organisational Psychology Conference – 11 December 2014 MPOWER-IO Conference flyer IO Psych Conference Info
- 2015 Association of Industrial Relations Academics of Australia and New Zealand (AIRAANZ) Conference - Feb 2015
- MPOWER's co-directors were co-organisers of the Low Pay and Living Wage, and Employment (Regulation) in the Pacific streams at the conference.
Page authorised by kfarrow
Last updated on Monday 03 August 2020
MPOWER RESEARCHER EXCELLENCE AWARD
- Since 2013, MPOWER has offered an annual award to post-graduate and emerging academics at Massey who demonstrate considerable promise with their chosen research project or proposal in the broad area of 'people and work management'. For several years, these awards were presented at the SA Partners' Continuous Improvement Conference at Massey's Albany Campus. In 2018, they were awarded at the Massey University School of Management Internship Presentation Event. In 2019, this award and MPOWER awards for the top scholar in individual post-graduate HRM and employment relations courses at Massey University were presented at the Massey Business School Academic Excellence Award event at the University's Albany campus.
Overall award winners
- No award
- Betul Taskin, with her Masters thesis, 'HR Managers' Perceptions of the HR Function and Workplace Bullying in the Health Sector in New Zealand and Turkey.'
- Erin Burrell, with her Masters project, 'Discrimination or Diversity? A Balanced Score Card review of perceptions of gender quotas'; and
- Dr Kate Bone, with her early career research project, 'Co-working and Well-Being in New Zealand.'
- Kasuni Weerasinghe, with her PhD project, 'Big data in NZ healthcre: A socio-cognitive approach'; and
- Murray Brown, with his Masters project, 'Management perceptions of NZ's ageing labour force: a resource-based view'.
In the past, the awards have been presented by the MPOWER co-directors and a senior industry representative. In 2019, a single award will be made by the hosts of the Massey Business School Academic Excellence Event. More details about this year's event will follow shortly.