Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
Animal Welfare Science and Bioethics Centre
BackAnimal Welfare Science and Bioethics Centre
Animal Welfare Science and the Science-Ethics Interface
Invited Lectures, Conference Papers and Book Chapters
- Mellor, D.J. (1998). How can animal-based scientists demonstrate ethical integrity? In: Ethical Approaches to Animal-Based Science, (Eds. D.J. Mellor, M. Fisher and G. Sutherland), pp 19-31. ANZCCART, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Schofield, J. and Mellor, D.J. (1998). Regulating scientific animal use: centralised control or facilitated self-regulation. In: Ethical Approaches to Animal-Based Science, (Eds. D.J. Mellor, M. Fisher and G. Sutherland), pp 99-103. ANZCCART, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Mellor, D.J. (1999). Introduction to The Use of Wildlife for Research, Eds. D.J. Mellor, and V. Monamy. Proceeding of the ANZCCART Dubbo Conference, May 1999. ANZCCART, Glen Osmond, South Australia, pp ii-iv.
- Mellor, D.J. (2000). Learning from refinement strategies applied at low and high levels of noxiousness. In: Progress in the Reduction, Refinement and Replacement of Animal Experimentation, Eds Balls, M., van Zeller, A.M., Halder, M.E. Developments in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 31A, 65-77.
- Mellor, D.J. (2000). Introduction. In: Innovation, Ethics and Animal Welfare: Public Trust in Science and Agriculture, Eds. D.J. Mellor, M. Fisher, and G. Sutherland, ANZCCART, The Royal Society of New Zealand, Wellington, pp ix-xi.
- Mellor, D.J. and Battye, J. (2000). Making a profession of science; the two-way street of public trust and concern for public good. In: Innovation, Ethics and Animal Welfare: Public Trust in Science and Agriculture, Eds. D.J. Mellor, M. Fisher, and G. Sutherland, ANZCCART, The Royal Society of New Zealand, Wellington, pp 125-133.
- Wilson PR, Mellor DJ, Stafford KJ and Haigh JC. (2001). Velvet Antler Removal: International Welfare, Ethical and Legal Issues. IN Antler Science and Product Technology. Editors JS Sim, HH Sunwoo, RJ Hudson and BT Jeon. Antler Science and Technology Research Centre, Edmonton Canada. Pp363- . ISBN
- Mellor, D.J and Battye, J. (2004). Mutual respect overcomes mutual disregard: working to resolve the GE impasse. Reflections on the Use of Human Genes in Other Organisms: Ethical, Spiritual and Cultural Dimensions. The Bioethics Council, Ministry for the Environment, Wellington, New Zealand, pp 15-19.
- Mellor, D.J. and Bayvel, ACD (2004). Application of legislation, scientific guidelines and codified standards to advancing animal welfare. Global conference on animal welfare: an OIE initiative, Proceedings of an OIE Conference, 23-25 February 2004, Paris, France pp 249-259.
- Mellor, D.J. (2004). Taming and training of pregnant sheep and goats and of newborn lambs, kids and calves before experiment. Alternatives to Laboratory Animals 32, Supplement 1, 143-146.
- Mellor, D.J. (2004). Comprehensive assessment of harms caused by experimental, teaching and testing procedures on live animals. Alternatives of Laboratory Animals 32, Supplement 1, 453-457.
- Mellor, D.J. and Stafford, K.J. (2004). Physiological and behavioural assessment of pain in ruminants: principles and caveats. Alternatives of Laboratory Animals 32, Supplement 1, 267-271.
- Williams, V.M, Mellor, D.J. and Marbrook, J. (2006). Revision of a scale for assessing the severity of live animal manipulations. ALTEX 23, Special Issue, 163-169.
- Fisher, M.W. and Mellor, D.J. (2007). Ethical issues relevant to using animals in genetic research. Proceedings of the 32nd World Small Animal Veterinary Association Congress, August 2007, Sydney, Australia, pp 340-342. (http://www.wsava.org/).
- Mellor, D.J., Schofield, J.C. and Williams, V.M. (2008). Underreporting of the Three Rs deployment that occurs during the planning of protocols that precedes their submission to animal ethics committees. AATEX Journal 14, Special Issue, 785-788. Proceedings of the Sixth World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences, 21-25 August 2007, Tokyo, Japan.
- Stafford, K. (2009). Chapter 7. Beef cattle handling and yarding. In Profitable farming of beef cows. Edited by Steve Morris and Duncan Smeaton. Meat and Wool NZ. Sheep and Beef Council. Wellington, pp 116-122.
- Stafford K. (2009). Future Food Farming – New Zealand Inc. Meetings Tomorrows Markets.
- Stafford, K.J. and Mellor, D.J. (2009). Painful husbandry procedures. Chapter for book. Improving animal welfare: A practical approach. Edited by Temple Grandin. CABI Wallingford UK
- Stafford, K.J. and Mellor, D.J. (2009). The implementation of animal welfare standards by OIE members. Analysis of an OIE questionnaire. Scientific and technical Review of the OIE 28 (3), 1143-1164.
- Mellor, D.J. (2010). Ethics, expectations and excellence in veterinary professionalism. VetScript December, pp 6-8.
- Mellor, D.J. and Bayvel, A.C.D. (2011). The scientific assessment of animal welfare. Session 5: Animal welfare. In: Proceedings of the First OIE Global Conference on Evolving Veterinary Education for a Safer World, Paris, France, 12-14 October, 2009, pp 167-174.
- Mellor, D.J. (2011). Animal pain and World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) guidelines. Session 5: Animal welfare. In: Proceedings of the First OIE Global Conference on Evolving Veterinary Education for a Safer World, Paris, France, 12-14 October, 2009, pp 175-180.
- Patterson-Kane, E. and Mellor, D.J. (2011). What is it like to be a rat? Providing good environments for experimental animals. Proceedings of the ANZCCART Annual Conference, Rotorua on 26-28 June 2011 (on-line).
- Mellor, D.J. (2012). Affective states and the assessment of laboratory-induced animal welfare impacts. ALTEX Proceedings 1 (WC8), 445-449.
- Beausoleil, N.J. and Mellor, D.J. (2012). Complementary roles for systematic analytical evaluation and qualitative whole animal profiling in welfare assessment for Three Rs applications. ALTEX Proceedings 1 (WC8), 455-460.
- Mellor, D.J., Hemsworth, P.H., Barnett, J.L. and Young, I.R. (2012). Species-specific approaches are needed for effective implementation of the Three Rs in farm animal research. ALTEX Proceedings 1 (WC8), 469-476.
- Beausoleil, N.J., Fisher, P., Mellor, D.J. and Warburton, B. (2012). Ranking the negative impacts of wildlife control methods may help to advance the Three Rs. ALTEX Proceedings 1 (WC8), 481-485.
- Mellor, D.J. (2012). Production animals: ethical and welfare issues raised by production-focused management of newborn livestock. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Veterinary and Animal Ethics, pp September 2011, pp 174-187. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- Mellor, D.J. (2013). Ethical and welfare issues regarding live fetotomy, inductions and bobby calf management. Proceedings of the 2013 Society of Dairy Cattle Veterinarians Conference of the NZVA, Publication No. 300, entitled “All the Other Bits”, New Plymouth, New Zealand, 26 June 2013, pp 119-127.
- Mellor, D.J. (2015). Animal welfare and biodiversity conservation: Two sides of the same coin? Pages 11-16. Proceedings of the 69th Conference of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA), New Delhi, India, 3-6 November 2014. WAZA, Gland, Switzerland. http://www.waza.org/files/webcontent/1.public_site/6.marketing_and_media/conference_proceedings/Conference%20proceedings.pdf
- Hemsworth, P.H., Mellor, D.J. Coleman, G.J., Beausoleil, N.J., Fisher, A.D. and Stafford, K.J. (2016). Part 3: Applied Ethology Around the Globe: Australian and New Zealand perspectives. In: Animals and Us: 50 years or more of applied ethology. International Society for Applied Ethology, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Book (in press).
- Beausoleil, N.J., Stratton, R.B., Guesgen, M.J., Sutherland, M.A., Johnson, C.B. 2016. Scientific evaluation of animal emotion: Brief history and recent New Zealand contributions. Journal of New Zealand Studies (In Press).
- Beausoleil, N.J., 2016. Fulfilling public expectation: Training vets as animal welfare experts. New Zealand Veterinary Association Conference (In press)
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 16 August 2016