Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
Animal Welfare Science and Bioethics Centre
BackAnimal Welfare Science and Bioethics Centre
Fetal, Neonatal and Developmental Physiology, Pathophysiology and Mortality
Refereed Primary Papers and Review Articles
- Lentle, R.G., Kruger, M.C., Mellor, D.J. and Moughan, P.J. (2006). Limb development in pouch young of the brush-tail possum, Trichosurus vulpecula and tammar wallaby Macropus eugenii. Journal of Zoology, London 270, 122-131.
- Lentle, R.G., Dey, D., Hulls, C, Mellor, D.J., Moughan, P.J., Stafford, K.J. and Nicholas, K. (2007). A quantitative study of the morphological development and bacterial colonisation of the gut of the brushtail possum Trichosurus vulpecula and tammar wallaby Macropus eugenii eugenii during in-pouch development. Journal of Comparative Physiology – B 176, 763-744.
- Lentle, R.G., Mellor, D.J., Hulls, C., Birtles, M.J., Moughan, P.J. and Stafford, K.J. (2007). Changes in tissue nucleic acid content and mucosal morphology during intestinal development in pouch young of the tammar wallaby (Macropus eugenii eugenii). Australian Journal of Zoology 55, 229-236.
- Fisher, M.W. and Mellor, D.J. (2001). The welfare implications of shepherding during lambing in extensive New Zealand farming systems. Animal Welfare 11, 157-170.
- Mellor, D.J. and Stafford, K.J. (2003). Assessing the welfare status of newborn farm animals. Animal Welfare 12, 695-698.
- Stafford KJ, Kenyon PR, Morris ST and West DM. (2007). The physical state and metabolic status of lambs of different birth rank soon after birth. Livestock Science 111: 10-15
- Mellor, D.J. and Gregory, N.G. (2003). Responsiveness, behavioural arousal and awareness in fetal and newborn lambs: experimental, practical and therapeutic implications. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 51 2-13.
- Mellor, D.J. and Stafford, K.J. (2004). Animal welfare implications of neonatal mortality and morbidity in farm animals. The Veterinary Journal 168, 118-133.
- van der Valk, J., Mellor, D., Brands, R., Fischer, R., Gruber, F., Gstraunthaler, G., Hellebrekers, L., Hyllner, J., Jonker, H., Prieto, P., Thalen, M. and Baumans, V. (2004). The humane collection of fetal bovine serum and possibilities for serum-free cell and tissue culture. Toxicology In Vitro 18, 1-12.
- Mellor, D.J., Diesch, T.J., Gunn, A.J. and Bennet, L. (2005). The importance of 'awareness' for understanding fetal pain. Brain Research Reviews 49, 455-471.
- Mellor, D.J. and Diesch, T.J. (2006). Onset of sentience: the potential for suffering in fetal and newborn farm animals. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 100, 48-57.
- Mellor, D.J. and Diesch, T.J. (2007). Birth and hatching: key events in the onset of ‘awareness’ in lambs and chicks. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 55, 51-60.
- Henare, S.J., Mellor, D.J., Lentle, R.G. and Moughan, P.J. (2008). An appraisal of the strengths and weaknesses of newborn and juvenile rat models for researching gastrointestinal development. Laboratory Animals 42, 231-245.
- Diesch, T.J., Mellor, D.J., Johnson, C.B. and Lentle, R.G. (2009). Electro-encephalographic responses to tail clamping in anaesthetised rat pups. Laboratory Animals 43, 224-231.
- Diesch, T.J., Mellor, D.J., Johnson, C.B. and Lentle, R. (2010). Developmental changes in the electroencephalogram and responses to a noxious stimulus in anaesthetized tammar wallaby joeys (Macropus eugenii eugenii). Laboratory Animals 44, 79-87.
- Guesgen, M.J., Beausoleil, N.J., Minot, E., Stewart, M., Jones, G., Stafford, K.J. (2011). The effects of age and sex on pain sensitivity in young lambs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science135, 51-56. DOI: 10.1016/j.applanim.2011.09.008
- McIlhone, A.E., Beausoleil, N.J., Johnson, C.D. and Mellor, D.J. (2014). Effects of isoflurane, sevoflurane and methoxyflurane on the electroencephalogram of the chicken. Veterinary Anaesthesia and Analgesia 41:613-620.
- Campbell, M.L.H., Mellor, D.J. and Sandøe, P. (2014). How should the welfare of fetal and neurologically immature postnatal animals be protected? Animal Welfare 23, 369-379.
- Mellor, D.J. and Lentle, R.G. (2015). Survival implications of the development of behavioural responsiveness and awareness in different groups of mammalian young. New Zealand Veterinary Journal 63 (3), 131-140.
Miscellaneous Neonatal Papers
- Van Welie, L.A.A, Clews, S.A.B, Beausoleil, N.J., Hickson, R.B, Kenyon, P.R.B, Morris, S.T.B. 2016. The sucking behaviour and milk intake of 8-17 day old triplet lambs during natural and competitive situations. Applied Animal Behaviour Science(In Press).
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 16 August 2016