Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL4. More information.
BackHealth Conditions Psychology Service
- Psychology services
- Auckland - Centre for Psychology
- Psychology Clinic Palmerston North
- Contact Us
Health Conditions Psychology Service
The Health Conditions Psychology Service works with adults, children and families who live in the MidCentral District Health Board region who are dealing with a qualifying medical condition. Many conditions are covered under a funded contract from the District Health Board.
We offer short-to-medium term psychology services (usually 6 to 8 sessions). We tend to focus on specific goals which we decide on in collaboration with you and we also refer to other services if needed. Our service is completely confidential.
Conditions we help with
Some medical conditions we help with are:
- Cystic fibrosis
- Heart conditions
- Renal conditions
- Respiratory conditions
- Other illnesses affecting children and adolescents
Our team is made up of experienced psychologists. We help people with qualifying long-term health conditions and their families to cope with their illness.
- Meet our team.
We also have a Support Group Facilitator who facilitates links between health professionals and support groups.
- Find out more about our Support Group Facilitator.
How we can help
You may face many challenges with a long-term health condition. You might feel distressed or overwhelmed or have trouble adjusting to your condition. Psychological skills are important resources that will help you (and your family) to:
- manage stress associated with the condition
- deal with physical symptoms like pain, panic attacks and steep problems
- manage fears, anxiety or depression
- improve relationship skills and build up support networks
- work with your health professionals
- make decisions and solve problems around living with the condition
- provide balance in dealing with health difficulties and getting on with everyday life.
Our service is available across the MidCentral District Health Board region. We're based at the Massey University Psychology Clinic in Palmerston North but you can also see us in one of our community clinics in Pahiatua, Dannevirke, Feilding, Levin or Otaki.
If you can't come to us, we can arrange to see you at home or in other settings.
- Find our location.
You can be referred by any health professional.
- Find out more about how to be referred or make a referral.
What happens next
We'll give you a call or send you a letter to set up an appointment. When you come in we'll ask you about how things are. The first appointment will be for you to get to know us, and for us to get to know you and talk about what's happening for you. After this, we'll set some goals for what you want to get out of the sessions and we'll start working towards ways of achieving them.
If you want to find out more about us, please contact our administrator Gail Shirley or admin team on:
Tel: 06 350 5180
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Wednesday 17 August 2016