COVID-19 update: All of New Zealand is now at Red. More information.

Programme list > Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction

Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction


Develop the skills and knowledge to support your community

If you want to pursue a career in the mental health and addiction workforce, then Massey’s Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction is for you.

  • Level

  • Undergraduate, NZQF Level 5
  • Credits

  • 60
  • Duration

  • 1 year(s) part-time. Not available for full-time study.
  • Other

  • One course includes a compulsory on-campus contact workshop in Auckland or Manawatū.

Note: This programme may have an on-campus or in-person requirement and therefore requires that students submit a current My Vaccine Pass on enrolment. 

The CertMHA is currently closed to new enrolments for 2022 and until further notice.

Join a large and growing workforce in New Zealand

Support workers represent over 30% of the mental health and addiction workforce. They have been a primary driver of its growth over the past five years.

As a support worker in this field, you’ll work to promote and sustain the mental health and wellbeing of individuals, whānau and communities.

Gain foundational skills

With Massey’s Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction, you’ll become a reflective and dynamic thinker, capable of demonstrating commitment to equity within a broad hauora wellbeing approach.

You’ll be introduced to:

  • key concepts in mental health and addiction, its determinants and advocacy
  • te reo, tikanga and engagement with Māori
  • social and community helping skills
  • models and predictors of mental health, public health and addiction
  • key concepts in public health.

You’ll gain:

  • skills to facilitate, lead and advise in order to solve complex challenges
  • an appreciation of the development, history, and context of mental health and addiction in Aotearoa New Zealand
  • skills of meaningful engagement, authentic relationships and shared decision-making
  • the ability to plan and evaluate interventions to improve population wellbeing.

Study to suit your lifestyle

With distance learning you can plan your study to suit your lifestyle. You can enrol in the Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction part-time over one year or longer.


Drug and Alcohol Practitioners’ Association Aotearoa–New Zealand (DAPAANZ) is the membership association representing the professional interests of practitioners working in addiction treatment. Our Certificate programme is underpinned by the critical knowledge and engagement competencies required for DAPAANZ-accredited support workers working with Māori and non-Māori in the mental health and addiction sector.

Careers and further study


The Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction provides an accessible first step qualification (particularly for the non-regulated workforce). It has been designed to be achievable if you have not previously completed higher education courses. It is also applicable to those who have entered the public health workforce from other disciplines.

With the Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction you’ll possess knowledge and transferable skills to work within a range of mental health settings.

Roles may include:

  • peer worker
  • support worker
  • advocate
  • youth worker
  • kaimahi
  • kaiāwhina
  • community health worker
  • aged care worker
  • health coach
  • family violence worker.

They may work within:

  • District health boards
  • Primary health organisations
  • non-government organisations
  • local and central government
  • iwi social services and Māori health organisations
  • government agencies
  • culturally-specific services
  • the disability sector
  • aged care sector
  • public health units
  • youth services
  • the education sector
  • community organisations.

Further study

Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction graduates can go on to study Massey’s Bachelor of Health Sciences with the Mental Health and Addiction, Health Promotion or Health Services Navigation majors.

Entry requirements

University admission

All students must meet university entrance requirements to be admitted to the University.

Programme admission


The Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction programme has limited student capacity. If you are applying for enrolment in this programme you are required to complete a questionnaire which will help us determine entry into the programme. The questions asked will be in relation to the following: 

  • Your hours available to study 
  • Your access to the Internet and a computer, both of which are required for this programme
  • Your education history and/or sector experience
  • A personal statement concerning your interest in this programme.

English language requirements

To study this programme you must meet Massey University's English language standards.

Prior learning, credit and exemptions

For information on prior learning, exemptions and transfer of credit or other questions:

If you do not have the entry requirements

English language and foundation courses

If you need help with your English language skills before you start university, we have courses and qualifications that may help.

Summer School

If you need to do a course before you start your programme, there may be options for you in Summer School.

Courses and planning

Credit summary

60 credits

  • Compulsory courses – 60 credits

Courses for this programme

Compulsory Courses

60 credits
147102 Whakapiri: Engagement in Mental Health and Addiction Work 15
150103 Nau mai e noho: Engaging with Māori 15
179155 A Foundation of Interpersonal Skills for the Helping Professions 15
231106 Introduction to Public Health 15

Planning your programme

Planning overview

If you work in paid and/or unpaid employment for more than 12 hours a week, we recommend you enrol on a part-time basis.

Fees and scholarships

Fees and finance

Fees, student loans and free fees scheme

Your tuition fees may be different depending on the courses you choose. Your exact fees will show once you have chosen your courses.

There will also be some compulsory non-tuition fees and for some courses, there may also be charges for things such as study resources, software, trips and contact workshops.

Already know which courses you're going to choose?

You can view fees for the courses that make up your qualification on the course details pages.

Student loans (StudyLink) and Fees Free scheme

You may be eligible for a student loan to help towards paying your fees.

The New Zealand Government offers fees-free tertiary study for eligible domestic students. Find out more about the scheme and your eligibility on the Fees Free website. To use the site's eligibility checking tool, you will need your National Student Number.

Current and returning Massey students can find their National Student Number in the student portal.

Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (free trades training)

The Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction is covered under the Tertiary Education Commission’s Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF). If you are eligible for funding, TTAF will cover your fees automatically. You do not need to apply to access the funding. Fees will be covered from 1 July 2020 until 31 December 2022.

Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (free trades training)

The Certificate in Mental Health and Addiction is covered under the Tertiary Education Commission’s Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF). If you are eligible for funding, TTAF will cover your fees automatically. You do not need to apply to access the funding. Fees will be covered from 1 July 2020 until 31 December 2022.

A good fit if you:

  • personally value respect, aroha (love) and hope
  • want to work purposefully with others to challenge the status quo
  • care about promoting and sustaining mental health and wellbeing.

Key information for students

Compare qualifications and academic information across different New Zealand institutions.


Review this important information before you apply for this programme. This gives you full details of the rules and regulations about what you need to study and what you must achieve in order to graduate with this qualification. That includes structure, courses and requirements. These regulations should be read in conjunction with all other Statutes and Regulations of the University including the below.

Undergraduate programmes

General Regulations for Undergraduate Degrees, Undergraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Certificates, Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates.

Regulations for this programme

Applying and enrolling

Applying for the programme

Check you are ready

If you are ready to apply, have a look at our application checklist. It will help you get prepared with what you need. Please also check the entry requirements carefully before you apply.

Choose your programme and click on Apply now

You will apply for the programme using the Apply now button on this page. You’ll also choose your specialisation (major, subject or endorsement) if applicable.

Some programmes have additional requirements such as the submission of a portfolio or CV. Click on Apply now and you will be able to submit those documents as part of the application process.

Receive and accept an Admission Offer of Place

You will receive an Admission Offer of Place when you have been accepted into the programme. You need to accept this before you can enrol in your courses. International students also need to pay their fees at this point.

Enrolling in courses

You’ll then get access to your own student homepage (also known as the student portal). This is where you can enrol in courses. Any updates on your application or enrolments will also be on your student homepage. Make sure you check this regularly.

When you choose courses, ensure you check for any requirements that apply including:

  • prerequisites (courses you have to do before the one you are enrolling in)
  • corequisites (courses you have to do at the same time as the one you are enrolling in)
  • restrictions (courses that you cannot enrol in if you are completing or have completed another identified similar course)
  • location – for instance some distance-based courses still have an on-campus element, so double check that the way the course is taught is suitable for your situation.

Each of our courses has its own webpage where you can find this information. You can use our course search to find course pages.

More information on courses is in the ‘Courses for this programme’ section on this page.

You can find information on application due dates and semester dates on the key dates page.

We look forward to welcoming you to Massey!

If you have any questions, contact us through the Enquire button on this page.

What are courses and credits?

What are courses and credits?

Each Massey programme is made up of courses (in some tertiary institutions they are called ‘papers’).

You will have some compulsory courses and some you can choose from.

Each course is worth a certain amount of credits (often 15 credits, but this does vary). You must gain a set number of credits to be able to graduate from this programme.

There may also be some rules about which courses you need to pass to progress to the next year, or stage, of your study (known as progression). There are also courses you must pass to graduate with a specialisation.

  • See the ‘Courses for this programme’ section for the list of courses.
  • Courses search

Understanding course numbers

The first three digits of our course numbers show you which subject the course is about.

The second three digits show you the level and course ID number. For instance:

  • sub-degree courses are '0' (i.e. xxx.0xx)
  • undergraduate study begins at 100-level, (i.e. xxx.1xx)
  • as you progress through 200- and 300-level courses this number changes to 2 and 3 respectively. The higher the number that starts the second three digits, the higher the level of study
1 6 2 . 3   0 1
Subject area   Level   Course ID number

About electives

Electives are courses that are not compulsory. Certain guidelines are usually provided on courses you may take. Elective courses contribute to the programme, but not to your major or specialisation.

Workload and time management

Use this tool to help determine how much time you will need each week to complete your studies.

Estimate workload

Returning students

For returning students, there may be changes to the majors and minors available and the courses you need to take. Go to the section called ‘Transitional Provisions’ in the Regulations to find out more.

In some cases the programme or specialisation you enrolled in may no longer be taking new enrolments, so may not appear on these web pages. To find information on the regulations for these programmes go to the Massey University Calendar.

Please contact us through the Enquire button on this page if you have any questions.

Scholarships and awards

There are a number of scholarships available for new and current students. They could relate to your situation, achievement or interest.

Find and apply for scholarships