Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL4. More information.
Events and Partner Programmes
Massey University has partnerships with many high-quality intuitions around the world. This page highlights current opportunities to Massey students available at partner intuitions and unique events which may be of interest.
APEC Voices of the Future 2021
APEC Voices of the Future (VOTF) brings together students from across New Zealand who have the potential to be the next generation of leaders. It is a unique opportunity for you to participate in a forum where you will engage, network and exchange ideas with young people from across the Asia Pacific region, as well as interacting with influential leaders.
This year’s programme will be a hybrid event and take place 8 - 12 November in Auckland (subject to COVID 19 regulations). Accommodation will be provided for the participating students at the AUT city campus.
It is held concurrently with the APEC CEO Summit to encourage active participation on issues and policies affecting the region. Students will be given full access to attend the CEO Summit.
We want our New Zealand-hosted VOTF to be the most inclusive and accessible in the event’s history. With this in mind, we are looking for four students who meet the following criteria:
- Aged between 18 and 24 years old
- With an interest in issues impacting the Asia-Pacific; economics, international relations and trade, politics, effects of COVID 19 in the region
- From a broad range of academic disciplines and different backgrounds
- International or domestic students, but must be residing in New Zealand
- 30-second video or a written statement outlining what you would like to say to an APEC senior leader if given the opportunity
The Office of Global Engagement will cover the $1,000 cost for four student representatives, which includes attendance at the summit, accommodation, and some meals. Email us before 30 September for more information.
In addition to the student representatives sponsored by Massey University, VOTF is also looking for four Delegates from around New Zealand. This ensures the opportunity to attend VOTF includes those who are not necessarily connected to a university. However, Massey students are welcome to apply to be a New Zealand Delegate.
Ahead of the conference, these Delegates will have the opportunity to collaborate with representatives from other economies in a series of online meetings to draft a declaration that is presented to senior APEC leaders, as well as to attend the forum in person in November.
Applications for these four NZ Delegates is managed by AUT and the VOTF Committee. Applications are open from now until Sunday, 19 September.
Climate Action Virtual Internship Program
The Climate Action Virtual Internship is a unique experiential pilot programme focused on climate action. Students are matched in pairs or in a team to a real business as consultants and deliver a Climate Action Plan to help the organisation improve its environmental performance.
What will you learn?
- The causes and effects of climate change and the scale of the climate challenge
- What personal actions you can take to reduce your ecological footprint
- How climate action is connected to the other Sustainable Development Goals
- What solutions will have maximum impact for businesses ad at a systems level
What skills will you develop?
- How to research and prepare a Climate Action Plan for a business located in the Indo-Pacific region to help you operate in a more environmentally sustainable way
- How to work within a diverse team from a range of disciplines
- How to prepare and deliver a compelling pitch
- How to communicate in a real work environment
You will also participate in a one-day Climate Action Workshop. Additionally, you will deliver your recommendations to your internship hosts on Pitch Day at the end of the program. You will also receive mentoring sessions during the program from your host company.
The subsidy provided by the Office of Global Engagement brings the cost of this $2,400 programme down to $100 for the first five students who apply. Email us before 30 September, 2021 for more information.
Global Student Leadership Summit
As border and travel restrictions continue, here is a great opportunity for you to connect globally. The 7th Annual Global Student Leadership Summit (GSLS) will be held virtually, from 10 – 12 November 2021. The GSLS is the premier leadership conference for students who are interested in further developing skills related to global diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The 3-day virtual summit includes workshops designed to enhance career readiness, networking events to connect with like-minded peers, professionals, & potential employers, and opportunities for participants to consider their roles as leaders in a global society.
Registration is open to students with a GPA over 5.0, and who have demonstrated interest in global learning and inclusive excellence. Students from typically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
A subsidy from the Office of Global Engagement is available, meaning you will only pay $50, instead of over $200, to participate. Email us for further details before the 4 October 2021 deadline.
“Belt and Road” International College Student Innovation Competition on Bakery Foods
Massey University has a deep relationship with Jiangnan University which includes Massey students participating in previous “Belt and Road” programmes. Massey jointly delivers the Bachelor of Food Technology (Hons) at Jiangnan University, which will see students’ complete part of their studies in New Zealand on a Massey campus.
Are you interested in the opportunity to leverage your food innovation skills in an international context? The 2021 Bakery Traditional Food Creation Competition, initiated by Jiangnan University, is an opportunity for students to cultivate their talent, scientific research, and facilitate cultural exchange. For this year’s competition, you will submit a product or proposal that reflects characteristics of national traditional culture.
Contact Dr Richard Love in the School of Food and Advanced Technology before the 30 September 2021 registration deadline for further details.
AFS NZ Global Competence Certificate
Even though we can’t travel to many countries right now, being a global citizen is still important. By taking part in The American Field Service (AFS) Global Competence Certificate, you will develop the knowledge, skills and understanding you need to live, study and work globally.
This online programme is all about connecting you with other students from different cultures to become part of a global community of learners, so when the world starts moving again you’ll have the skills you need to kick-start your future and make your mark on the world.
What will I learn?
You will learn how to:
- Reflect on your personal and cultural experiences
- Recognise and understand patterns of behaviour and values of people from different cultural contexts
- How to apply effective strategies to deal with unfamiliar situations
- Use strategies to avoid jumping to conclusions... and so much more!
What is the programme like?
The programme is a mix of self-paced animated videos, taught sessions, interactive quizzes, and assignments to help you reflect and learn. The course will be run through Massey University, and the curriculum has been developed by AFS Intercultural Programs. AFS are international experts in developing global citizens.
- You must be able to undertake the programme (two-hour sessions once a week with modules and quizzes outside of class).
- Attend online taught dialogue sessions over the course, led by a Massey University teacher.
- You must actively participate in the taught and self-directed sessions.
- Be ready to build new relationships, make life-long friends, learn, ask questions, be creative, work in a team environment, and most importantly, have fun!
Although the course is over $600, Education New Zealand and Massey will subsidise the majority of it. You only need to pay $50.
Ready to start your GCC adventure?
We are busy planning the next session and will post the dates once they have been finalised. Email Mark Kaneko for more info.
WageningenX – Free online courses
Wageningen University & Research offers a wide range of free Massive Open and Online Courses for anyone who wants to learn more about a topic out of sheer interest or to expand their knowledge for professional purposes. You will learn from the top professors who will provide you with knowledge and in-demand skills which you can use for your own benefit or to boost your career.
Page authorised by Director, International Office
Last updated on Tuesday 14 September 2021