Massey's reputation and rankings
Each year more than 20% of Massey University’s student population study at postgraduate level, including 1000 Doctoral (PhD) degree students.
Massey University has an international reputation for its research innovation, practices and results, which are applied to postgraduate programmes of study. The University also has strong international links across the globe, with accreditation and endorsements across a number of programmes.
Massey University's teaching and research departments are divided into five colleges as follows.
College of Creative Arts - Toi Rauwharangi
Based in Wellington and Palmerston North, the College of Creative Arts is a world-class art, design, music and creative media college offering courses across a broad range of creative arts subjects, from undergraduate through to doctoral level.
- It is ranked in the top two for the Asia-Pacific region by international design awards agency RED DOT, giving Massey a distinctive seal of quality for its design programmes.
- It was the first art and design school outside North America to be awarded “substantial equivalency” by the US accreditation body NASAD – the most comprehensive international benchmark for art and design education in the world.
- The College of Creative Arts has the largest number of top-ranked researchers in design and visual arts and crafts of all tertiary institutions in New Zealand, with 77% of our research staff ranked A or B. With their global connections and our outstanding facilities, the College offers a stimulating and highly innovative learning environment for creative innovators who wish to make a positive difference to our world through creative practice and scholarship.
- Postgraduate programmes at the College are predominantly practice led.
- The College has a legacy of more than a century of creative education.
College of Health - Te Kura Hauora Tangata
As the University’s newest college, established in 2013, the College of Health partners with national and international stakeholders to lead the improvement of health, wellbeing, equity, and social justice. Its approach to learning, teaching and research is to view health and wellbeing as the outcome of multiple factors encompassing individual differences, diversity, social determinants, and environmental interactions. The College connects people across four collaborative units with outstanding expertise and programmes in nursing, human nutrition and dietetics, health science, physiology, public health, sport and exercise, social work, environmental and occupational health, and disability and rehabilitation.
College of Humanities and Social Sciences - Te Kura Pūkenga Tangata
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences has a strong research tradition and profile, representing a diverse range of themes, research methods and groups, from individual researchers to major research teams and centres. It also has a strong outreach focus, and we are well-connected to government departments including the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Social Development and Treasury. We are also connected to national and international research and policy communities, including the Health Research Council, the Asia New Zealand Foundation and the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity.
College of Sciences - Te Wāhanga Pūtaiao
Massey University's College of Sciences' world-leading scientists are internationally-acclaimed and ranked. Its programmes of study and research attract world-leading academics and they have active research collaborations with the world's most prestigious scientific institutions.
The College demands excellence in its research and brings together experts from several disciplines to focus on four fields to further knowledge and make a difference in New Zealand and the world. Those fields are:
- Agriculture, veterinary and life sciences
- Land, water and the environment
- Industrial innovation through engineering and technology
- Natural and fundamental sciences
Massey Business School - Te Kura Whai Pakihi
As one of the country’s leading and largest business schools, Massey Business School is ranked among the top two per cent of business schools globally. It is AACSB accredited and many of its programmes and staff are internationally ranked and accredited as some of the best in the world.
Find out more about Massey Business School accreditations.
Page authorised by Director, Marketing
Last updated on Tuesday 12 November 2019