Skip to Content
Scan the QR code using the NZ COVID Tracer app when you enter campus.
Doctor of Philosophy, (Banking)
Study Completed: 2015
Massey Business School
Efficiency of the banking system in Vietnam under financial liberalization
The recent global financial crisis raises questions as to how and at what level financial liberalisation could be done, so that for the banking sector, improvements are achieved but instabilities are avoided. Mr Ngo consistently applied different approaches and models to answer these questions employing a new sample (the Vietnamese banking system) and covering a long period (1990-2010).He found that the performance of the Vietnamese banking system generally improved during the examined period, whereby liberalisation, in particular equitisation of state-owned commercial banks, should be sped up in order to transform their ownership, reduce their size, and improve their performance.
1. Ngo, D. T., Tripe, D., & Matthews, C. (2014). Ratio analysis for performance evaluation: the case of Vietnamese banks. Paper presented at the NZ Finance Colloquium 2014 Conference, Auckland, NZ.
2. Ngo, D. T., Tripe, D., & Matthews, C. (2013). The performance of Vietnamese banking system under financial liberalization: Measurement using DEA. Paper presented at the EWEPA"13 Conference, Helsinki, Finland.
3. Ngo, D. T., & Nguyen, T. A. (2013). Evaluating the macroeconomic efficiency of ASEAN countries and the AEC prospect. Paper presented at the International Conference "Participation in ASEAN Economic Community: International Experience and Implications for Vietnam", Hanoi, Vietnam.
4. Ngo, D. T. (2012). Measuring performance of the banking system: Case of Vietnam (1990-2010). Journal of Applied Finance & Banking, 2(2), 289-312.
5. Ngo, D. T., & Nguyen, L. T. P. (2012). Total Factor Productivity of Thai Banks in 2007-2010: An Application of DEA and Malmquist Index. Journal of Applied Finance and Banking, 2(5), 27-42.
6. Ngo, D. T. (2011). Effectiveness of the Global Banking System in 2010: A Data Envelopment Analysis approach. Chinese Business Review, 10(11 ), 961-973.
7. Ngo, D. T., & Tripe, D. (2010). Evaluating the efficiency of Vietnamese banking system: An application using Data Envelopment Analysis. Paper presented at the International DEA Symposium "Pushing the envelope!", Brisbane, Australia.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 04 April 2017