Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
Requesting assistance from the Service Desk
Target Audience: Massey University staff and students requiring IT-related assistance.
Note: You may wish to print and keep this page in case you need help when you are unable to access the web.
Preferred method of contact
Wherever possible, it is preferred that you ring the Service Desk on ext 82111.
The online request logging system, AskUs Self-Service (http://askus.massey.ac.nz), is used to log requests. AskUs Self-Service prompts for the information required to assist us in processing your request. AskUs Self-Service is available via the http://askus.massey.ac.nz website for people with Massey staff-type usercodes or usernames.
If you email or ring the Service Desk, please ensure you provide all relevant detail.
If your request is critical please log the request and then call the Service Desk on ext 82111 quoting your request number. This will let us know that the request is critical.
Information required by the Service Desk
To help resolve your query as quickly as possible, the Service Desk often needs the following information:
Full contact details
Location of machine, if relevant
Type of machine (PC/Macintosh). If it is a laptop, the type/make of the laptop
Operating System version (see below); for example: Windows 7 or Mac OS X
IT Number of the machine (see below) for Massey IT equipment
Printer IT number (for example: IT001223) for problems with Massey printers
Application and version number (see below) if applicable, or hardware causing the problem; for example: Microsoft Outlook 2010
Error messages, if applicable, recorded as fully as possible (provide screen shots if possible - see below)
Last time the machine/application worked correctly
Configuration/software changes made since the equipment last worked, if applicable
IT numbers of other machines or usercodes (usernames) or ID numbers of other staff/students experiencing similar issues, if applicable
- Any other detail that may be useful in relation to the issue experienced e.g. the url (address) of web sites that cannot be accessed, whether the system (application, software web site) has worked previously etc.
When requesting assistance from the Service Desk, please provide as much information as you can. The Service Desk will ask for relevant information for requests received via the telephone. The more detail we have at first contact, the faster it can be to resolve queries or issues.
To find out what Operating System you are running:
- Click on Start
- Go to the Run option
- In the Open field type: winver
- Click OK
Mac OS X:
- Click the Apple logo in the top left hand corner
- Select About this Mac
- The IT Number is displayed on a white sticker found on the computer case.
- If the IT sticker is missing, see How do I find the IT number of a Windows PC if the label is missing? (452 KB) or Finding the IT number on a Mac (491 KB)
- The IT Number is used to identify computers on the network
- The IT Number can help determine if there are any network connectivity problems
To find the software version you are using:
- Start the Application if it will load
- Go to the Help Menu
- Select the Option, About
- The software's name and version number will appear at the top of a pop up box
- How do I capture screen shots on a Mac? (215 KB)
- How do I capture screen shots on a Windows PC? (234 KB)
Software purchase requests
- Please see the Requesting software page for full details on requesting software
Page authorised by CIO
Last updated on Thursday 27 May 2021
Contact the Service Desk
Phone 06-356-9099 ext. 82111 (preferred method)
7:45am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
(excluding Public and University holidays)
AskUs Self-Service to log a request online (staff)
Other ITS Information
IT Services Dashboard (staff)