Laptop Backup Service
All staff and postgraduate students using laptops with Windows 7 or OS X 10.6 (or later) operating systems can apply at no charge for 50 GB of network storage for backing up business data. The service is aimed at staff who are away from the Massey network fairly regularly.
The most secure method of storing business data is on departmental network shared drives which are regularly backed up and available to other selected persons. Storing data 'only' on a laptop or external devices are a significant risk to the University. If the device fails, is damaged, lost or stolen, all resident data likely to be irretrievable. In order of preference, business data should be stored on:
- Departmental network shared drives
- Network home drives (commonly referred to as H:\ on Windows machines)
- Then if required, via this backup service
What is business data?
- Any data files directly or indirectly related to Massey University staff members role, job description, department and / or Massey University
- Business data does not include user profiles, email archiving and other items. This is explained more fully in the how to documents, which will be available via links below after the service goes live
When to use this service?
- If you move between campuses or travel extensively for work and only have intermittent access to the Massey network
- Please be aware that this is a simple laptop backup system, therefore, features such as automatic back up scheduling, synchronisation and bandwidth detection are not available. It also cannot warn when high data transfer charges may be incurred
How to use this service?
- This service uses existing tools in Windows 7 and OS X operating systems and is under the control of the laptop user
- The application form and service instruction documentation is available from the link below
- Laptop backup service information and application form
The Laptop Backup Service includes an ITS provided network storage space and documented, recommended and supported backup processes for ensuring business data is safely transferred onto Massey University network infrastructure from the local hard disks of portable computers. The service is aimed at staff who are away from the Massey network fairly regularly, who move between campuses or travel extensively for work and only have intermittent access to the Massey network.
The Laptop Backup Service is available to all staff and postgraduate students using laptops with Windows 7 or OS X 10.6 (or later) operating systems. You can apply at no charge for 50 GB of network storage for backing up business data.
- Why is this not available for earlier versions of Windows?
- Why is this not available for earlier versions of OS X (Mac)?
Extra quota is available and is charged at $62.50 per Terabyte (TB) per month or part thereof. For example: an extra 100 GB (150GB Total) is charged at $6.25 per month. Financial approval from an Account Controller is required for any extra quota, please discuss this with your Department Administrator.
To apply for the Laptop Backup Service
- Complete the online form
- Complete the Backup Preparation Checklist (415 KB)
- Refer to the Technical Documentation to learn how to backup your data
- Review the What data should be backed up? page
If you require further assistance or information please contact the Service Desk on ext. 82111.
Page authorised by CIO
Last updated on Wednesday 20 November 2019
Contact the Service Desk
Phone 06-356-9099 ext. 82111 (preferred method)
7:45am - 5pm, Monday to Friday
(excluding Public and University holidays)
AskUs Self-Service to log a request online (staff)
Other ITS Information
IT Services Dashboard (staff)