Print Material

Staff are permitted to copy print material beyond what the Copyright Act (1994) allows for educational purposes because Massey University has taken out a licence from Copyright Licensing New Zealand (CLNZ). This licence covers print materials such as books, hardcopy journals and newspapers. This does not include electronic books or journals.

Copyright Licensing New Zealand represents authors and publishers of “hard copy” print works. Visit for more information.

How can I deliver print material ?

This licence allows staff to make multiple copies of a limited portion of print-published copyright works for the teaching and learning purposes of the University.

Multiple copies may be made available in hardcopy or electronic format.

A hardcopy can be made available to students enrolled in a particular paper as part of a study guide, book of readings, student notes, laboratory manuals or hand outs in class.

An electronic copy may be made available to students enrolled in a paper:

  • via Massey's Learning Management System (Stream)
  • by email
  • by means of a CD

Works can not be made available through a website accessible to the general public. 

What and how much print material can I use ?

You can copy material from print published resources. In the main this will be from books and print journals.  Below outlines the amounts

  • Books
    One chapter or 10% of a single book, whichever is the greater, may be copied. A chapter that is greater than 10% can be copied. If a chapter is less than 10%, more can be copied as long as it is no more than 10% of the total. (10% of a thick book is usually more than one chapter and vice versa.)
  • Collections of works
    e.g. edited book - one chapter/article but no more than 10% of the book.
    e.g. poems, short stories - one whole work as long as no more than 15 pages are copied.
  • Journals or periodicals
    One article can be copied from each issue of a journal or periodical. More than one article can be copied from the same issue if the articles are on the same subject. Check with the copyright officer before going ahead with this provision as permission from CLNZ is required. Most magazines, such as Newsweek, Time, North and South, Listener fall under this category.
  • Overseas newspapers
    One article from a single hard copy issue of an overseas newspaper (up to 3 if the articles are on the same subject) may be reproduced. (Overseas newspapers published on the internet are NOT covered by the CLNZ licence so cannot be used in study materials.)
  • New Zealand Newspapers
    Up to 5 articles per course per day from one edition can be reproduced in print or online with full attribution. Articles from website can be copied.
  • Interloaned Journal articles
    Interloaned journal articles that come as a copy, harcopy or electronic, cannot be used as study materials. However, if the journal issue cannot be obtained, bought or accessed electronically, and is deemed to be out of print it may be possible to get permission from Copyright Licensing NZ to reproduce. Contact the Copyright Officer to facilitate.
  • Interloaned Books
    One chapter of 10%, whichever is the greater, can be included in student resources from an interloaned book, or accessed via Bonus Plus, as long as the book is received in the 'original' format; that is it is not a copy of a chapter.
  • Diagrams, illustrations, graphs
    Copying the whole of an artistic work (such as an illustration, diagram, graph, photograph or map) by themselves is permitted.  There is one exception where diagrams etc are “reproduced with permission” in print published works.
  • Out of print works (OOP)
    Works out of print (books, interloaned journal articles) can be copied in hard copy in their entirety with prior confirmation from CLL. Permission to copy these works will be granted if CLNZ is satisfied that sufficient copies cannot be obtained within a reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price. Books In Print is a good place to check to see if a book is out of print.

Bennetts Bookshop will alert you if a required textbook is out of print and arrange for permission to reproduce and for copies to be made and sold to students at recovery cost. In addition, you may wish to copy additional chapters from other books. This is possible if the books are out of print. To request permission to copy additional chapters out of 'print original' books or journals please contact the Copyright Officer whose role it is to seek permission from CLNZ on your behalf. Permission will be granted for one offering of a paper only. Further use of this material means permission must be sought again.All OOP material must include the CLNZ Coversheets as the first page when copies are made. The coversheet will be sent to you when permission is granted.

Note: Permission will not be granted to copy an entire OOP book if it is to be delivered electronically.

All out of print material Copyright Licensing New Zealand have granted permission to copy must have the CLNZ coversheet attached.

What material cannot be used? 

  • Articles from the National Business Review and the Independent (permission is granted on request)
  • Works available on or downloaded from the Internet
  • Printed music (including the words)
  • Loose maps and charts
  • Unpublished religious orders or service
  • House journals and other free publications primarily for employees of commercial businesses, industrial undertakings or public services
  • Illustrations and/or photographs published separately and reproduced with permission of the rights holder in the work being copied
  • Any work on which the rights holder has prominently stipulated that it may not be copied under any copyright licence, such as New Zealand Standards 
  • Privately owned documents issued for tuition purposes and limited to clientele who pay fees
  • Theses, dissertations and student papers; unpublished conference papers

These works can be copied if they come under another licence held by the University or if permission is granted by the rights' holder. 

What are my obligations ?

Attribution:  All material copied from print works, whether you deliver them as hardcopy or electronic copy needs to be attributed to the source.

  • For hardcopy delivery include full references, including page numbers, of each work copied in the contents page/s and or at the top of each reading.
  • For electronic delivery include full citations, including the page numbers, in the summary field when uploading into Stream.


Copyright warning notice

All hardcopy study guides, books of readings, laboratory manuals and student notes are required to carry the following copyright warning notice. It is customary to insert this on the back of the  cover page/s. 

This material is protected by copyright and has been copied by and solely for the educational purposes of the University under licence. You may not sell, alter or further reproduce or distribute any part of this coursepack/material to any other person. Where provided to you in electronic format, you may only print from it for your own private study and research. Failure to comply with the terms of this warning may expose you to legal action for copyright infringement and/or disciplinary action by the University.

In electronic formats this notice appears on the Stream My Courses page.

Can I copy more than what is permitted from a book?

Yes, you can copy a further 10% from a book that is available (in print) by taking out a transactional licence with Copyright Licensing New Zealand.

A transactional licence is charged out on the basis of 10c x the number of extra pages to be copied x the total number of students/copies to be made plus GST. Any costs involved are the responsibility of your cost centre.  A transactional licence covers the additional pages for one offering of a paper only. A transactional licence must be sought for use in additional offerings. 

If you wish to copy more than 20% of an in print book you will need to request permission from the publishers.

The copyright officer will assist you with seeking a transactional licence from CLNZ, which must be sought before copying can commence. The following information is needed:

  1. Paper number and name
  2. Name of Paper Coordinator
  3. Author
  4. Title
  5. Publisher
  6. Year of publication
  8. Number of pages to be copied
  9. Total number of pages in book
  10. Total student number for whom copying is proposed
  11. Cost centre number and Department/School/Institute/Section name

If you wish to copy more than 20% of an in print book you will need to request permission from the publishers.