Skip to Content
In 2000 Ravensdown and the Williams family established the Hugh Williams Ravensdown memorial university scholarship in memory of the late Hugh Williams, Ravensdown director 1987 until 2000.
The university scholarship, for shareholders’ sons and daughters, aims to encourage undergraduate study in an agricultural or horticultural degree.
One scholarship will be available each year.
The scholarship recipient will receive a cash grant of $5,000 a year for the duration of their undergraduate study (see the conditions). In addition, recipients will be offered the opportunity of paid holiday work at Ravensdown.
Applications for the scholarship will be invited from students who are:
- The son or daughter of a farmer involved in a Ravensdown shareholding (one entry per shareholder number)
- Intending to undertake an agricultural/horticultural undergraduate degree full time at Lincoln or Massey universities*
Applying for the scholarship
To apply for the scholarship students should:
- Obtain an application form from the Ravensdown Customer Centre (details below)
- Forward an application, including two references (preferably work related e.g. holiday employment), to the selection committee before the closing date of the first Friday in December.
- Submit a 500 word essay on the topic:
"Agriculture/Horticulture in NZ: Why tertiary study will assist both me and the industry".
- In addition to the essay, students should submit a hand written half page profile introducing themselves including education, personal interests etc.(Please note, this is to be no more than one page).
Applicants may also be asked to attend an interview either in person or by video conference.
The selection committee will take a range of criteria into account including the applicants‘ academic records, references and commitment to agriculture/horticulture.
If there are a large number of applicants, the selection committee will shortlist to a maximum of six by reviewing academic performance, and the essays.
The scholarship is paid for the duration of an undergraduate course up to a maximum of four years. Payment of the scholarship for years subsequent to the first will be subject to satisfactory academic performance in the preceding year.
It is expected that the recipient will not accept other scholarships in addition to the Hugh Williams Ravensdown memorial university scholarship. This is to encourage as many young people as possible into the universities.
The scholarship is for agricultural/horticultural-based degrees (but excludes veterinary science or viticulture-based degrees.)*
Students who have completed one year’s tertiary study or less are also eligible.
The recipient of the scholarship is required to meet with Ravensdown management to discuss progress each semester.
A list of applicable degrees is available on our website: www.ravensdown.co.nz/scholarships or by calling 0800 100 123.
A list of applicable degrees at Massey University are:
- Certificate in Horticulture
- Diploma in Agriculture
- Diploma in Horticulture
- Bachelor or AgriScience (Agriculture)
- Bachelor of AgriScience (Horticulture)
- Bachelor of Science (Agricultural Science)
- Bachelor of AgriCommerce
The four-person selection committee comprises:
- A member of the Williams family
- Two members of the Ravensdown Board of Directors
- A member of the Ravensdown Human Resources Team
Application forms can be obtained from:
- Ravensdown Customer Centre
0800 100 1123
- Ravensdown Careers Website: www.ravensdown.co.nz/scholarships
- Lincoln and Massey University Scholarship Websites
Applications for the Hugh Williams Ravensdown memorial university scholarship close on the first Friday in December each year.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016