Skip to Content
These scholarships are supported by funds accumulated by Assoc Prof Alex Chu under the Trade for Training Scheme in the former Faculty of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences to encourage New Zealand agriculture and horticulture students to experience aspects of their discipline area within an overseas culture.
1. These shall be awards known as the Alex C P Chu Trade for Training Scholarships.
2. The scholarships shall have a total value determined each year from the interest earned on the capital and be open to students enrolled in a postgraduate or undergraduate course in agriculture or horticulture (mainly with paper prefixes of 111, 112, 117, 119, 138, 171, 188, 189, 238 or 239), Massey University, who will participate in overseas study and/or student exchange as part of their programme.
3. The scholarships shall be awarded annually as funds permit on the recommendation of the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee provided the applications are of sufficient academic merit. The award shall be based on the candidate's academic attainment and the likely value to the candidate of the overseas experience being funded.
4. In recommending the award of the scholarships the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee shall take account of other scholarships and bursaries held with a view to achieving a reasonable distribution of monies among qualifying candidates.
5. The Selection Committee will be convened by the Chair of the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee and include Assoc Prof Alex Chu.
6. Undergraduate students are expected to have registered their intention to participate in an overseas exchange programme with the International Students Office prior to applying for this scholarship.
7. A single payment of the scholarship will occur 3 weeks prior to departure to the overseas destination, but a copy of the air tickets and itinerary for the trip must be shown to the Chairman of the Applied Academic Programmes Scholarships Committee before the payment will be authorised.
8. In the event of the overseas travel being cancelled, any scholarship money that has been received by successful applicants must be repaid.
9. Applications close with the Scholarships Office on 1 November in the year prior to the award being made.
All applications are acknowledged by email.
Applications will NOT be accepted more than 3 months in advance of the closing date.
Application cannot be accepted before 01/08/2018.Download an application form
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016