Skip to Content
The Building Research Levy, through BRANZ Inc., allocates funds to assist students with outstanding academic credentials to undertake research in fields that are deemed to be of importance to the building and construction sector.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they hold New Zealand citizenship or permanent residence and have been accepted by an accredited New Zealand tertiary institution.
Successful candidates are expected to study full-time, unless otherwise agreed to by BRANZ.
We recommend applicants read the Research Strategy for the Building and Construction Industry, Building a Better New Zealand , in full before preparing an application. The Research Strategy identifies industry's nine priority research topics:
- Better buildings
- Materials performance
- Maintaining and improving the performance of existing buildings
- Automation, industrialisation and new technologies
- Operating environment
- Meeting the housing needs of all New Zealanders
- Building better cities and communities
Please be advised of the following:
- Successful candidates are expected to study full-time, unless otherwise agreed to by BRANZ
- Funding to an individual student for a course is limited to 3 years
- Award recipients will liaise with us throughout the scholarships duration
- Applicants should be able to meet the expectations of wide transfer to the building and construction sector of the results of their research
- A scholarship awarded under this scheme carries no connotation of employment by BRANZ Group during the period of the award or at its conclusion
- If your application is successful, you will also be required to submit a project plan indicating proposed milestones, which must be agreed by BRANZ before the first payment is made. Progress against this plan will need to be certified by your supervisor and communicated through progress updates
Allocations at master's and PhD level will generally be:
- Master's - $20,000 in total for degree
- Doctorate - $25,000 per year for up to 3 years.
How to apply
Applications are to be prepared using the guidelines provided in the Scholarship Application Template. http://www.branz.co.nz/scholarships
- Applications are officially accepted now through to 30 November 2017
- We will respond to applicants in December 2017
- We also accept scholarship applications throughout the year. While we will consider out-of-cycle applications carefully, we envisage a sizeable proportion of the scholarship funding will be allocated in the October-November round, with instalments beginning around March of the following year. Applicants are therefore welcome to apply throughout the year but encouraged to apply within the round timeframe wherever possible to maximise their chances of success
- Applicants should ensure there is a month available to BRANZ for consideration before any closing date set by any co-funding agency
Where appropriate successful applicants will be introduced to an industry supervisor. This will give the successful applicant the opportunity to develop professional connections in their chosen research area, while helping to keep industry informed of their findings.
For further information or to submit your application contact research:
Application cannot be accepted before 30/08/2017.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Tuesday 29 November 2016