Officially verified documents

An officially verified document is a photocopy of an original document that has been signed and dated for authenticity by an authorised person.

Who can officially verify documents?

You can bring your original documents to the Contact Centre counter at any campus and we can verify and photocopy them for you. Below is the list of other authorised people that can verify your documents.

Students residing in New Zealand

  • Justice of the Peace (JP), Public Notary, Court Registrar, Deputy Registrar, Public Trust Officer. View our list of Justices of the Peace at Massey University.
  • Barrister or Solicitor of the High Court
  • Local or Central Government employee designated for the purpose of taking oaths and declarations
  • Kaumatua (for whakapapa statement only). An officially verified copy of a whakapapa statement is acceptable only when a student cannot obtain a birth certificate. Both the student and a Kaumatua must sign the whakapapa as evidence of identity and citizenship.

Students residing outside of New Zealand

  • A registered Massey University education agent, Justice of the Peace (JP) or Public Notary
  • Registrar of a tertiary institution or deputy
  • University academic or administrative staff
  • New Zealand education institution staff
  • Officials of the issuing institution (NZ or overseas) For overseas students’ academic documents can be officially verified by an authorised officer of the issuing tertiary institution.
  • A Trade New Zealand Offshore Education Centre, Embassy, High Commission or Consulate General

How to get documents officially verified

  • Photocopy each side of the original document
  • Take the originals and photocopy to a person who can officially verify documents
  • The verifier must identify their official designation on the front of each page of the copy (preferably with an official stamp), sign and date the copy and write the following words (or words to the same effect) ‘This is a true copy of an original document that I have sighted’.
  • Officially verified documents must have the original signature or they cannot be accepted

Where to send documents

Domestic students

Academic Support
Student Administration
Massey University
Private Bag 11 222
Palmerston North 4442

International students

International Office
International Admissions
Massey University
Private Bag 11 222
Palmerston North 4442
New Zealand

International Office
International Admissions
Massey University
Tennant Drive
Courtyard Complex
Palmerston North 4442
New Zealand

Additional information

  • Officially verified documents will not be returned to you. For your security, please do not send original identity documents as Massey University cannot guarantee the secure return of these documents to you.
  • Faxed documents will only be accepted from the issuing tertiary provider or a Massey University registered education agent.
  • Translated documents in languages other than English must be translated into English then verified in English.

Documents required for admission to the University

When you apply for admission to the University you will be asked to provide documents that prove your identity and basis for admission. You may also have to supply additional documents. For domestic students a list of all the documents you need to provide will be included on the Document checklist page within MyEnrolment (our online enrolment tool). For information about some of the documents you may have to provide see:

Massey Contact CentreMon - Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701)TXT chatMyMasseyStaffAlumniNewsMāori @ Massey