Professor of Artificial Intelligence
Chair of Research and International,
School of Natural and Computational
Private Bag 102-904, North Shore Mail Centre
Auckland, New Zealand
Mobile: ask me
Free Phone: 0800-Massey (ext. 43258)
Curriculum Vita | Publications | Projects | Scholarships |Research | Click onto Science | PhD thesis | Photos |
Natural language and Speech processing
Please feel free to contact me if we can work collaboratively in any area.
· Image Processing (e.g., Human Action Recognition, video captioning)
· Data Mining/Big data
· Video processing and Computer Vision
Master or PhD students in Computer Science and Information Technology:
We are looking for postgraduate research students. If you have a background in any of the following areas: Computer Science, Information Technology/Science, Electronic or Electrical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Finance, or other Engineering (e.g., Bio-engineering, Mechanical, Civil), you are welcome to study your Master degree or PhD with me. You can study with us to get a PhD in Computer Science or Information Technology. If you can have your own scholarship, you are more than welcome.
If you have got first class degree(s) and excellent academic records (GPA of A- or above), please contact me directly. I am willing to help you to achieve your goal and help you to obtain a scholarship. Projects offered will be flexible. TOP, TOP, Plus!!! If you can obtain the – Top Achiever Scholarship, Massey VC-PhD scholarship, Massey PhD Scholarship, Massey Masterate Scholarship, New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships, CSC PhD scholarships or any other scholarships, we will TOP it up with some additional financial assistance plus financially support for you to attend international conferences. If you need any assistance to apply for these scholarships, please contact me by email or phone or WeChat.
I am the chief supervisor of the following PhD students:
1. Mr Satwinder Singh, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2018 at Massey University
2. Ms Yujun Ma, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2020 at Massey University, CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient
3. Mr Yuan Gao, enrolled as PhD candidate in 01/08/2021. Massey University PhD scholarship recipient
4. Mr Guoqing Zhang, enrolled as PhD candidate in 01/07/2021.
5. Ms Yi Wang, enrolled as PhD candidate in 01/06/2021
6. Mr Zhihan Wang, enrolled as PhD candidate on 01/02/2022. Massey University Vice-Chancellor's Doctoral Scholarship recipient.
7. Ms. Ting Guo, enrolled as PhD candidate on 01/03/2022.
8. Mr Jiang Tao, enrolled as PhD candidate on 01/08/2022 Massey University Doctoral Scholarship recipient
I am a co-supervisor of the following PhD students:
9. Yuanyuan Wei, Massey University
Graduated research students:
I have supervised 27 PhD students to completion. Here are some examples:
2. Dr Yuanhang Qiu, CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient, graduated in 2022.
3. Dr Ming Zong, New Zealand Government CSC PhD Scholarship Recipient, graduated in 2021, Postdoc Fellow at Peking University
4. Dr Sophia Xiaoyun Jia, graduated in 2021, Sophia completed her PhD in 2 years and 10 months. Lecturer at Shandong University
5. Dr Feng Hou, graduated in 2021. Research Fellow at Massey University. Feng completed his PhD in 2 years and 6 months.
6. Dr Wanting, Ji, CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient, graduated in 2020, Lecturer at Liaoning University.
7. Dr. Junbo Ma, graduated in 2019, supported by my Marsden grant, research fellow at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA.
9. Dr Frank Luofeng XU, Massey University (graduated in 2012), Massey PhD Scholarship Recipient, senior lecturer at Southern Institute of Technology, New Zealand.
10. Dr Norliza Katuk (Liza) Massey University (graduated in 2011), Malaysian Government PhD Scholarship Recipient. Liza completed her PhD in 2 years and 10 months.
11. Dr Matthew Mingzhe LIU (graduated in 2011), PhD student Massey PhD Scholarship Recipient (I was the chief supervisor of his PhD (till 2009) and master’s degree, Matthew published over 12 journal papers with me). Now, he is a professor and the Head of School of Chengdu University of Science and Technology
12. Dr Jingli Lu, Massey University (graduated in 2010), the R&D Fellowship (PhD Scholarship) Recipient. Jingli completed her PhD in 3 years and 4 months and published 3 journal papers and 2 conference papers with me), researcher in AgResearch, New Zealand
I was the supervisor for the following master’s students:
Zhihan Wang (2021), Jian Tao (2021), Weiqiang Tang (2021), Yuan Gao (2021), Jian Lu (2021), Eva Zhen (2019), Yuejie Xiao (2018), Fangfei Du (2018), Rawan Jaber (2017), Mohammed N Almujil (2016), Fei Wang (2014), Mingzhe Liu (2005), Donn Morrison (2005)
· Funding (In total over $5 million)
· $3,000,000 Catalyst Strategic - New Zealand Singapore Data Science Research Programme Fund, (regarding New Zealand Singapore Data Science Research Programme Fund, please refer to MBIE website) (2020-2023)
· $10,000 Marsden Funding Application Support Fund (2020)
· $10,000 Marsden Funding Application Support Fund (2019)
· $10,000 Massey University Research Fund (2018)
· $10,000 Massey University Research Awards, Strategic Research Excellence Fund (2017)
· $200,000 (plus GST) NSC Science for Technological Innovation (SfTI) Seed Projects 2017. “Novel Approaches for Impaired-Speech Recognition” (2017-2019).
· Marsden Fund $668,000(plus GST) “No Longer Lost in Recognition: Development of Novel Large‐Vocabulary Continuous Speech Recognition Techniques” (2014-2018)
· Research Contract $113,008 (2014-2015)
· Voice Profiling, $26,000, Foundation of Science Research and Technology (FSRT), New Zealand (NZ)
· Event-driven Workflow Engine, $93,000, FSRT, NZ
· From Parallel to Grid Computing, $10,950, Fund for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching (FIET), Massey University, NZ
· Speech Processing for Language Learning, $93,000, FRST, NZ
· Modelling and Controlling Traffic Flow, $14,178, Massey University Research Fund (MURF), Massey University, NZ
· Using Mobile Phones to Teach Foreign Language, $999, Institute of Information Sciences and Technology, Massey University
· Modelling and Controlling Heterogenous Traffic Flow, $16,875, funded under the ASIA 2000 Foundation High Education Exchange Programme (HEEP)
· Developing an Intelligent Tutoring System for Legal Arguments, $1,600, IIST, Massey
· Development of An Intelligent Tutoring System for Legal Argumentation Skills, $9,000, Fund for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching(FIET), Massey University (2006)
· Massey University International Visitor Research Funds $8,550 (2006-2009) for Prof. Wensheng Zhang (CSA), A/Prof. Rui Jiang (USTC), Prof. Yang Gao (Nanjing Uni), Prof. Chengqi Zhang (UTS) and A/Prof. Maobin HU (USTC)
· Development of An Intelligent Tutoring System for Legal Argumentation Skills, $8.100, Fund for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching(FIET), Massey University (2007)
· Modelling Intracellular Transport: Movement of Molecular Motors, $12,500, Massey University Research Fund (MURF), Massey University (2007).
· RMB 100,000 (about NZ$28,000) Modelling Transport Systems in Biological Systems and Logistical Systems, State Key Laboratory for Novel Software Technology, Nanjing University, Nanjing, China (2008)
Jointly (as co-PI)
1. R Wang, F Hou, S Cahan, L Chen, X Jia, W Ji (2022) Fine-Grained Entity Typing with a Type Taxonomy: a Systematic Review, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, PDF file
3. Q Jiang, X Zhou, R Wang*, W Ding, et al. (2022), Intelligent monitoring for infectious diseases with fuzzy systems and edge computing: A survey, Applied Soft Computing, 108835 [PDF file]
4. T Liu, Y Ma, W Yang, W Ji, R Wang*, P Jiang (2022) Spatial-temporal interaction learning based two-stream network for action recognition, Information Sciences, l606, 864-876 [PDF file]
5. Y Qiu, R Wang, F Hou, S Singh, Z Ma, X Jia (2022) Adversarial multi-task learning with inverse mapping for speech enhancement, Applied Soft Computing 120, 108568 [PFD file]
6. Y Li, X Jia, R Wang, J Qi, H Jin, X Chu, W Mu (222) A new oversampling method and improved radial basis function classifier for customer consumption behavior prediction, Expert Systems with Applications 199, 116982. [PFD file]
7. W Ji, R Wang*, Y Tian, X Wang (2022) An attention based dual learning approach for video captioning, Applied Soft Computing 117, 108332. [PFD file]
8. X Jia, R Wang, JH Liu, C Jiang (2022) Discovery of behavioral patterns in online social commerce practice, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, e1433
9. J. Yin, R. Wang (corresponding author), Y. Guo, Y. Bai, S. Ju, W. Liu, and J. Z. Huang (2021) Wealth Flow Model: Online Portfolio Selection based on Learning Wealth Flow Matrices, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, Vol. 16, No. 2.
10. W Ji, Y Pang, X Jia, Z Wang, F Hou, B Song, M Liu, R Wang (corresponding author) (2021) Fuzzy rough sets and fuzzy rough neural networks for feature selection: A review, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, e1402.
11. G Li, X Ren, J Wu, W Ji, H Yu, J Cao, R Wang (2021) Blockchain-based mobile edge computing system, Information Sciences, Volume 561, Pages 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2021.01.050 (CORE rank A)
12. P Shamsolmoali, M Zareapoor, E Granger, H Zhou, R Wang, ME Celebi, Jie Yang (2021) Image Synthesis with Adversarial Networks: a Comprehensive Survey and Case Studies, Information Fusion, Volume 72, Pages 126-146. (ERA rank A)
13. M Zong, R Wang, Z Chen, M Wang, X Wang, J Potgieter (2021) Multi-cue based 3D residual network for action recognition, Neural Computing and Applications, 33, pages5167–5181.
14. J. Yin, R. Wang (corresponding author), S. Ju, Y. Bai, J. Z. Huang (2020) An Asymptotic Statistical Learning Algorithm for Prediction of Key Trading Events, IEEE Intelligent Systems, Volume: 35, Issue: 2, Page(s): 25 - 35 https://doi.org/10.1109/MIS.2020.2977590. (CORE rank A)
15. H. Zheng, R. Wang (corresponding author), W. Ji, M. Zong, W. K. Wong, Z. Lai and H. Lv. (2020) Discriminative deep multitask learning for facial expression recognition. Information Sciences, Vol 533, Pages 60-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2020.04.041 (CORE rank A)
16. K. Gai, Z. Fang, R. Wang (corresponding author), L. Zhu, P. Jiang, and K.-K. R. Choo (2021) Edge Computing and Lightning Network Empowered Secure Food Supply Management, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2020.3024694
17. R Wang, W Ji (2020) Computational intelligence for information security: A survey. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, Vol: 4 (5), 616 – 629. https://doi.org/10.1109/TETCI.2019.2923426
18. Z. Chen, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2020) Spatial-temporal multi-task learning for salient region detection, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 132, Pages 76-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2018.10.019.
19. Z Liu, Z Li, R Wang, M Zong, W Ji (2020) Spatiotemporal saliency-based multi-stream networks with attention-aware LSTM for action recognition, Neural Computing and Applications 32 (18), 14593-14602.
20. M Liu, X Jiang, F Zhao, X Feng, R Wang (2020) A Fast Adaptive Blockchain Consensus Algorithm via Wlan Mesh Network. Journal of Internet Technology, 21 (2): 523-533
21. W. Zhong, X. Yin, X. Zhang, S. Li, W. Dou, R. Wang, L. Qi (2020) Multi-dimensional quality-driven service recommendation with privacy-preservation in mobile edge environment，Computer Communications. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2020.04.018 Vol. 157 Pages 116-123.
22. P Shamsolmoali, M. Zareapoor, H. Zhou, R. Wang, and J. Yang (2020) Road Segmentation for Remote Sensing Images using Adversarial Spatial Pyramid Networks, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol: 59 (: 6), Page(s): 4673 – 4688, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2020.3016086 (ERA rank A)
23. L Wang, X Zhang, R Wang, C Yan, H Kou, L Qi (2020) Diversified service recommendation with high accuracy and efficiency, Knowledge-Based Systems, Volume 204, 106196. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2020.106196
24. L. Qi, R. Wang et al. (2019) Time-aware distributed service recommendation with privacy-preservation. Information Sciences, 480 (2019): 354-364.
25. M. He, M. Liu, R. Wang et al. (2019) Particle swarm optimization with damping factor and cooperative mechanism. Applied Soft Computing, 76: 45-52.
26. Y. Tian, X. Wang, J. Wu, R. Wang et al. (2019) Multi-scale Hierarchical Residual Network for Dense Captioning. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 64 (2019): 181-196.
27. M. Liu, M. He, R. Wang et al. (2019) A new local density and relative distance based spectrum clustering. Knowledge and Information Systems. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10115-018-1316-5.
29. R. Wang et al. (2018) Review on mining data from multiple data sources, Pattern Recognition Letters, 109(15): 120-128.
30. R. Wang et al. (2018) Durable relationship prediction and description using a large dynamic graph, World Wide Web, 21(6): 1575-1600. (ERA rank A)
31. R. Wang et al. (2018) Unsupervised feature selection based on self-representation and subspace learning, World Wide Web, 21(6): 1745-1758. (ERA rank A)
32. J. Ma, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Robust multi-view continuous subspace clustering, Pattern Recognition Letters, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2018.12.004.
33. W. Ji, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Dictionary-based active learning for sound event classification, Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 3831-3842.
34. J. Ma, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Relational recurrent neural networks for polyphonic sound event detection, Multimedia Tools and Applications, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-018-7142-7.
35. S. Zhang, X. Li, M. Zong, X. Zhu, R. Wang (2018) Efficiency kNN Classification with Different Numbers of Nearest Neighbors, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1774-1785. (ERA rank A*)
36. Y. Yu, Y. Gao, H. Wang, R. Wang (2018) Joint user knowledge and matrix factorization for recommender systems, World Wide Web, 21(4): 1141-1163. (ERA rank A)
37. L. Qi, S. Meng, X. Zhang, R. Wang (2018) An exception handling approach for privacy-preserving service recommendation failure in a cloud environment. Sensors, 18(7): 2037.
38. X. Jiang, M. Liu, K. Yang, Y. Liu and R. Wang (2018) A security sandbox approach of android based on hook mechanism, Security and Communication Networks, Volume 2018, Article ID 985653, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9856537.
39. X. Liang, R. Wang et al. (2018) Hybrid conditional random field based camera-LIDAR fusion for road detection, Information Sciences, 432: 543-558. (ERA rank B)
40. B. Sadeghi, R. Yu, R. Wang (2018) Shifting interpolation kernel toward orthogonal projection, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 66(1): 101-112. (ERA rank A*)
41. Y. Zhu, X. Zhang, R. Wang et al. (2018) Self-representation and PCA embedding for unsupervised feature selection. World Wide Web, 21(6): 1675-1688.
44. S. Zhang, X. Li, M. Zong, X. Zhu, and R. Wang (2017) Efficiency kNN Classification with Different Numbers of Nearest Neighbors
IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (ERA rank A*) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNNLS.2017.2673241
45. C. Wei, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2016) Plane-based Scan Registration with Moving Vehicles Exclusion Vol.83, Pages 261–274,
Robotics and Autonomous Systems (ERA rank A). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2016.05.007
46. T. Chen, R. Wang, B. Dai, D. Liu and J. Song (2016)
Likelihood-field-model-based Dynamic Vehicle Detection and Tracking for Self-driving, Vol. 17 (11) page 3142-3158
IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ERA rank A) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2016.2542258 .
47. H. Wang, Y. Gao, Y. Shi and R. Wang (2016) Group-based Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers for Distributed Linear Classification
IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (in press) (ERA rank A). http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7482805
Neural Computing and Applications (in press) (ERA rank B). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00521-016-2375-8
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (ERA rank A) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TKDE.2014.2312322
50. J. Guo, P. Yi, R. Wang, Q. Ye and C. Zhao (2014) Feature Selection for Least Squares Projection Twin Support Vector Machine, Vol 144, Pages 174–183
Neurocomputing (ERA rank B), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2014.05.040
Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol. 76, Issue 3, pp 563-582 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10846-013-9889-4#
IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems,Vol. (ERA rank: A*)http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6570737&tag=1
World Wide Web journal, Volume 16, Issue 4, pp 379-398, Springer (SCI, Impact factor: 0.513; ERA ranking: A)
54. Suryadevara, NK, Mukhopadhyay, SC., Wang, R., and Rayudu, RK. (2013).
Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 26(10), 2641-2652. (ERA rank B)
IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (IEEE-ICDM2012) (ERA ranking: A conference)
Speech Communication, Vol. 53 (2) Pages 175-184. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 1.229, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Spontaneous symmetry breaking on a multi-channel hollow cylinder
Physics Letters A, Vol. 375, Pages 318–323. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 2.174, SCI, ERA ranking B).
Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 160 (17), Pages 2505-2523 (Impact factor 1.373, SCI, ERA ranking: A).
Mining class-bridge rules based on rough sets
Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36 (3), Part 2, pp 6453-6460. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 1.177)
Asymmetric exclusion processes on m-input n-output junction with parallel update,
Physica A. Mathematics and Theoretical, Vol. 388 (19), Pages 4068-4074. (Impact factor 1.430, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Defect-induced transitions in synchronous asymmetric exclusion processes
Physics Letters A 373, 195–200. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 2.174, SCI).
Pheromone routing protocol on a scale-free network,
Physics Review E, The American Physical Society. (Impact factor 2.483, SCI accepted, ERA ranking: A)
Urban traffic simulated from the dual representation: Flow, Crisis and Congestion.
Physics Letters A, Elsevier Science. (Impact factor 2.174, SCI, in press)
Vol. 77, 051108 Physical Review E, (Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics),
The American Physical Society. (Impact factor 2.438, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Physica A (Statistical Mechanics and its Applications). Vol. 387, Issues 2-3, Pages 457-466 (16 pages).
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2007.09.042 Elsevier Science (IF 1.430, SCI, EI, ERA ranking: A)
Speech Communication Vol. 49 (2007) pp. 98–112, Elsevier Science (IF 1.178, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Physical Review E, (Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics) (IF 2.438, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Vol. 76, 036116. (10 pages, http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.76.036116 ), The American Physical Society.
International Journal of Law and Information Technology, Oxford Press.
Computer Physics Communications, Elsevier Science. (IF 1.644, SCI)
Vol. 147/1-2, pp.570-576
(Last updated in 28/03/2016)