Professor of Artificial Intelligence
Chair of Research and International,
Institute of Natural and Mathematical
Private Bag 102-904, North Shore Mail Centre
Auckland, New Zealand
Mobile: ask me
Free Phone: 0800-Massey (ext. 43258)
Curriculum Vita | Publications | Projects | Scholarships |Research | Click onto Science | PhD thesis | Photos |
Natural language and Speech processing
Please feel free to contact me if we can work collaboratively in any area.
· Image Processing (e.g., Human Action Recognition)
· Data Mining/Big data
· Video processing and Computer Vision
Master or PhD students in Computer Science and Information Technology:
We are looking for postgraduate research students. If you have a background in any of the following areas: Computer Science, Information Technology/Science, Electronic or Electrical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering , Physics, Mathematics, Finance, or other Engineering (e.g., Bio-engineering, Mechanical, Civil), you are welcome to study your Master degree or PhD with me. You can study with us to get a PhD in Computer Science or Information Technology. If you can have your own scholarship, you are more than welcome.
If you have got first class degree(s) and excellent academic records (GPA of A- or above), please contact me directly. I am willing to help you to achieve your goal and help you to obtain a scholarship. Projects offered will be flexible. TOP, TOP, Plus!!! If you can obtain the – Top Achiever Scholarship, Massey VC-PhD scholarship, Massey PhD Scholarship, Massey Masterate Scholarship, New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships, CSC PhD scholarships or any other scholarships, we will TOP it up with some additional financial assistance plus financially support for you to attend international conferences. If you need any assistance to apply for these scholarships, please contact me by email or phone or WeChat.
I am the chief supervisor of the following PhD students:
1. Mr Yuanhang Qiu, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2018 at Massey University CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient
2. Ms Sophia Jia, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2018 at Massey University
3. Mr Satwinder Singh, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2018 at Massey University
4. Mr Zhizhong Ma, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2018 at Massey University, CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient
5. Mr Ming Zong, enrolled in PhD in 2017 at Massey University, New Zealand Government PhD Scholarship Recipient
6. Ms Yujun Ma, enrolled as PhD candidate in 2020 at Massey University, CSC (Chinese Scholarship Council) PhD Scholarship Recipient
I am a co-supervisor of the following PhD students:
7. Yuanyuan Wei, Massey University
Graduated research students:
I have supervised 25 PhD students to completion. Here are some examples:
1. Dr Feng Hou, graduated in 2021. Research Fellow at Massey University. Feng completed his PhD in 2 years and 6 months.
2. Dr Wanting, Ji, graduated in 2020, a CSC PhD scholarship recipient.
3. Dr. Junbo Ma, graduated in 2019, supported by my Marsden grant.
5. Dr Frank Luofeng XU, Massey University (graduated in 2012), Massey PhD Scholarship Recipient.
6. Dr Norliza Katuk (Liza) Massey University (graduated in 2011), Malaysian Government PhD Scholarship Recipient. Liza completed her PhD in 2 years and 10 months.
7. Dr Matthew Mingzhe LIU (graduated in 2011), PhD student Massey PhD Scholarship Recipient (I was the chief supervisor of his PhD (till 2009) and master’s degree, Matthew published over 12 journal papers with me). Now, he is a professor and the Head of School of Chengdu University of Science and Technology
8. Dr Jingli Lu, Massey University (graduated in 2010), the R&D Fellowship (PhD Scholarship) Recipient. Jingli completed her PhD in 3 years and 4 months and published 3 journal papers and 2 conference papers with me), researcher in AgResearch, New Zealand
I was the supervisor for the following master’s students:
Yuan Gao (2021), Jian Lu (2021), Eva Zhen (2019), Yuejie Xiao (2018), Fangfei Du (2018), Rawan Jaber (2017), Mohammed N Almujil (2016), Fei Wang (2014), Mingzhe Liu (2005), Donn Morrison (2005)
· $3,000,000 Catalyst Strategic - New Zealand Singapore Data Science Research Programme Fund
· $10,000 Marsden Funding Application Support Fund (2020)
· $10,000 Marsden Funding Application Support Fund (2019)
· $10,000 Massey University Research Fund (2018)
· $10,000 Massey University Research Awards, Strategic Research Excellence Fund (2017)
· $3,000,000, MBIE 2020 Catalyst Strategic - New Zealand Singapore Data Science Research Programme Fund, (2020.10-2023.12) in Naturel Language Processing and Speech Processing
Jointly (as co-PI)
1. J. Yin, R. Wang (corresponding author), Y. Guo, Y. Bai, S. Ju, W. Liu, and J. Z. Huang (2021) Wealth Flow Model: Online Portfolio Selection based on Learning Wealth Flow Matrices, ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (accepted).
2. W Ji, Y Pang, X Jia, Z Wang, F Hou, B Song, M Liu, R Wang (corresponding author) (2021) Fuzzy rough sets and fuzzy rough neural networks for feature selection: A review, Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, e1402.
3. G Li, X Ren, J Wu, W Ji, H Yu, J Cao, R Wang (2021) Blockchain-based mobile edge computing system, Information Sciences, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2021.01.050 (CORE rank A)
4. P Shamsolmoali, M Zareapoor, E Granger, H Zhou, R Wang, ME Celebi, Jie Yang (2021) Image Synthesis with Adversarial Networks: a Comprehensive Survey and Case Studies, Information Fusion (accepted). (ERA rank A)
5. J. Yin, R. Wang (corresponding author), S. Ju, Y. Bai, J. Z. Huang (2020) An Asymptotic Statistical Learning Algorithm for Prediction of Key Trading Events, IEEE Intelligent Systems, https://doi.org/10.1109/MIS.2020.2977590. (CORE rank A)
6. H. Zheng, R. Wang (corresponding author), W. Ji, M. Zong, W. K. Wong, Z. Lai and H. Lv. (2020) Discriminative deep multitask learning for facial expression recognition. Information Sciences, Vol 533, Pages 60-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2020.04.041 (CORE rank A)
7. K. Gai, Z. Fang, R. Wang (corresponding author), L. Zhu, P. Jiang, and K.-K. R. Choo (2020) Edge Computing and Lightning Network Empowered Secure Food Supply Management, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, https://doi.org/10.1109/JIOT.2020.3024694
8. R Wang, W Ji (2020) Computational intelligence for information security: A survey. IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, https://doi.org/10.1109/TETCI.2019.2923426
9. Z. Chen, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Spatial-temporal multi-task learning for salient region detection, Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 132, Pages 76-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2018.10.019.
10. M Zong, R Wang, Z Chen, M Wang, X Wang, J Potgieter (2020) Multi-cue based 3D residual network for action recognition, Neural Computing and Applications, 1-15. (accepted)
11. Z Liu, Z Li, R Wang, M Zong, W Ji (2020) Spatiotemporal saliency-based multi-stream networks with attention-aware LSTM for action recognition, Neural Computing and Applications 32 (18), 14593-14602.
12. M Liu, X Jiang, F Zhao, X Feng, R Wang (2020) A Fast Adaptive Blockchain Consensus Algorithm via Wlan Mesh Network. Journal of Internet Technology, 21 (2): 523-533
13. W. Zhong, X. Yin, X. Zhang, S. Li, W. Dou, R. Wang, L. Qi (2020) Multi-dimensional quality-driven service recommendation with privacy-preservation in mobile edge environment，Computer Communications. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comcom.2020.04.018 Vol. 157 Pages 116-123.
14. P Shamsolmoali, M. Zareapoor, H. Zhou, R. Wang, and J. Yang (2020) Road Segmentation for Remote Sensing Images using Adversarial Spatial Pyramid Networks, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2020.3016086 (ERA rank A)
15. L Wang, X Zhang, R Wang, C Yan, H Kou, L Qi (2020) Diversified service recommendation with high accuracy and efficiency, Knowledge-Based Systems, 106196 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.knosys.2020.106196
16. L. Qi, R. Wang et al. (2019) Time-aware distributed service recommendation with privacy-preservation. Information Sciences, 480 (2019): 354-364.
17. M. He, M. Liu, R. Wang et al. (2019) Particle swarm optimization with damping factor and cooperative mechanism. Applied Soft Computing, 76: 45-52.
18. Y. Tian, X. Wang, J. Wu, R. Wang et al. (2019) Multi-scale Hierarchical Residual Network for Dense Captioning. Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, 64 (2019): 181-196.
19. M. Liu, M. He, R. Wang et al. (2019) A new local density and relative distance based spectrum clustering. Knowledge and Information Systems. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10115-018-1316-5.
20. R. Wang et al. (2018) Review on mining data from multiple data sources, Pattern Recognition Letters, 109(15): 120-128.
21. R. Wang et al. (2018) Durable relationship prediction and description using a large dynamic graph, World Wide Web, 21(6): 1575-1600. (ERA rank A)
22. R. Wang et al. (2018) Unsupervised feature selection based on self-representation and subspace learning, World Wide Web, 21(6): 1745-1758. (ERA rank A)
24. J. Ma, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Robust multi-view continuous subspace clustering, Pattern Recognition Letters, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patrec.2018.12.004.
25. W. Ji, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Dictionary-based active learning for sound event classification, Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 3831-3842.
26. J. Ma, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2018) Relational recurrent neural networks for polyphonic sound event detection, Multimedia Tools and Applications, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-018-7142-7.
27. S. Zhang, X. Li, M. Zong, X. Zhu, R. Wang (2018) Efficiency kNN Classification with Different Numbers of Nearest Neighbors, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1774-1785. (ERA rank A*)
28. Y. Yu, Y. Gao, H. Wang, R. Wang (2018) Joint user knowledge and matrix factorization for recommender systems, World Wide Web, 21(4): 1141-1163. (ERA rank A)
29. L. Qi, S. Meng, X. Zhang, R. Wang (2018) An exception handling approach for privacy-preserving service recommendation failure in a cloud environment. Sensors, 18(7): 2037.
30. X. Jiang, M. Liu, K. Yang, Y. Liu and R. Wang (2018) A security sandbox approach of android based on hook mechanism, Security and Communication Networks, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/9856537.
31. X. Liang, R. Wang et al. (2018) Hybrid conditional random field based camera-LIDAR fusion for road detection, Information Sciences, 432: 543-558. (ERA rank B)
32. B. Sadeghi, R. Yu, R. Wang (2018) Shifting interpolation kernel toward orthogonal projection, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 66(1): 101-112. (ERA rank A*)
33. Y. Zhu, X. Zhang, R. Wang et al. (2018) Self-representation and PCA embedding for unsupervised feature selection. World Wide Web, 21(6): 1675-1688.
36. S. Zhang, X. Li, M. Zong, X. Zhu, and R. Wang (2017) Efficiency kNN Classification with Different Numbers of Nearest Neighbors
IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (ERA rank A*) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TNNLS.2017.2673241
37. C. Wei, R. Wang (corresponding author) et al. (2016) Plane-based Scan Registration with Moving Vehicles Exclusion Vol.83, Pages 261–274,
Robotics and Autonomous Systems (ERA rank A). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.robot.2016.05.007
38. T. Chen, R. Wang, B. Dai, D. Liu and J. Song (2016)
Likelihood-field-model-based Dynamic Vehicle Detection and Tracking for Self-driving, Vol. 17 (11) page 3142-3158
IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ERA rank A) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2016.2542258 .
39. H. Wang, Y. Gao, Y. Shi and R. Wang (2016) Group-based Alternating Direction Method of Multipliers for Distributed Linear Classification
IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics (in press) (ERA rank A). http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=7482805
Neural Computing and Applications (in press) (ERA rank B). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00521-016-2375-8
IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (ERA rank A) http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TKDE.2014.2312322
42. J. Guo, P. Yi, R. Wang, Q. Ye and C. Zhao (2014) Feature Selection for Least Squares Projection Twin Support Vector Machine, Vol 144, Pages 174–183
Neurocomputing (ERA rank B), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neucom.2014.05.040
Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, Vol. 76, Issue 3, pp 563-582 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10846-013-9889-4#
IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems,Vol. (ERA rank: A*)http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6570737&tag=1
World Wide Web journal, Volume 16, Issue 4, pp 379-398, Springer (SCI, Impact factor: 0.513; ERA ranking: A)
46. Suryadevara, NK, Mukhopadhyay, SC., Wang, R., and Rayudu, RK. (2013).
Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence. 26(10), 2641-2652. (ERA rank B)
IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (IEEE-ICDM2012) (ERA ranking: A conference)
Speech Communication, Vol. 53 (2) Pages 175-184. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 1.229, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Spontaneous symmetry breaking on a multi-channel hollow cylinder
Physics Letters A, Vol. 375, Pages 318–323. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 2.174, SCI, ERA ranking B).
Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol. 160 (17), Pages 2505-2523 (Impact factor 1.373, SCI, ERA ranking: A).
Mining class-bridge rules based on rough sets
Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36 (3), Part 2, pp 6453-6460. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 1.177)
Asymmetric exclusion processes on m-input n-output junction with parallel update,
Physica A. Mathematics and Theoretical, Vol. 388 (19), Pages 4068-4074. (Impact factor 1.430, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Defect-induced transitions in synchronous asymmetric exclusion processes
Physics Letters A 373, 195–200. Elsevier Science (Impact factor 2.174, SCI).
Pheromone routing protocol on a scale-free network,
Physics Review E, The American Physical Society. (Impact factor 2.483, SCI accepted, ERA ranking: A)
Urban traffic simulated from the dual representation: Flow, Crisis and Congestion.
Physics Letters A, Elsevier Science. (Impact factor 2.174, SCI, in press)
Vol. 77, 051108 Physical Review E, (Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics),
The American Physical Society. (Impact factor 2.438, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Physica A (Statistical Mechanics and its Applications). Vol. 387, Issues 2-3, Pages 457-466 (16 pages).
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.physa.2007.09.042 Elsevier Science (IF 1.430, SCI, EI, ERA ranking: A)
Speech Communication Vol. 49 (2007) pp. 98–112, Elsevier Science (IF 1.178, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Physical Review E, (Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics) (IF 2.438, SCI, ERA ranking: A)
Vol. 76, 036116. (10 pages, http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.76.036116 ), The American Physical Society.
International Journal of Law and Information Technology, Oxford Press.
Computer Physics Communications, Elsevier Science. (IF 1.644, SCI)
Vol. 147/1-2, pp.570-576
(Last updated in 28/03/2016)