How much does student exchange cost and can I use StudyLink?

Phone box in England.jpg Student Exchange Programme fees

You remain enrolled in a degree programme at Massey University while on exchange. All students pay tuition fees (60 credits per semester) to Massey. The tuition fees at the host university are waived. This means you do not pay even one dollar more in tuition to study overseas than to stay here at Massey.

In addition to the tuition fees payable to Massey, you are responsible for all associated costs of the exchange, including return airfare, Studentsafe Outbound insurance, visa application fees (if applicable), living expenses, and non-tuition fees and course materials. 

Living costs vary by country and city.  It is possible you could end up spending less to live overseas than you do here in New Zealand.  Many of our partner universities provide estimates for living expenses on their website pages for prospective international students.

Most students wish to undertake some sightseeing while on exchange, so think about what additional funds you will need to do this. If you intend to go on exchange for an academic year (two semesters) commencing in January, please keep in mind that additional funds will be required for the northern hemisphere summer break (June - August). 

While some countries permit students to work part-time while on exchange, you should ensure you have enough income to support your exchange without having to rely on being able to obtain work in the host country. 


It is possible to retain your entitlement to StudyLink student allowances and loans while on exchange.  Any weekly payments are paid according to the semester dates at the host university.  You need to complete the Overseas Study Application Form once you have been accepted by your host university. Massey will verify with StudyLink that you are participating on an approved exchange programme and are still enrolled at Massey University.

Tips for reducing the cost of the going on exchange

  • Visit our Scholarships page to learn about funding opportunities.

  • Choose a host university in a smaller city or town, as normally the cost of living is lower than in the bigger cities.

  • Living in the host university’s halls of residence will reduce your daily transportation costs.

  • Going on exchange through ISEP is a great way to fix your housing and meal expenses in New Zealand dollars (instead of paying in US dollars, which are liable to change with currency fluctuations).

  • Hong Kong University of Science and Technology heavily subsidize their halls of residence to exchange students.

  • Some Japanese universities provide scholarships, a monthly stipend or free accommodation for exchange students.

  • The currency exchange rate may impact the cost of living in your chosen destination. The NZ dollar goes further in some countries.

  • Before you go on exchange, get an ISIC card. This international student card can offer deals on accommodation in youth hostels when sightseeing.