The Manaaki New Zealand Scholarship is funded through the New Zealand Aid Programme and is administered by Education New Zealand (ENZ), in partnership with the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT).
Massey administers these scholarships and provides pastoral care to the students.
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide recipients with academic study to learn new skills and acquire knowledge to assist in the social and economic development of their country when you return home. The New Zealand Aid Programme provides scholarships as part of our mission to support sustainable development to reduce poverty and contribute to a more secure, equitable and prosperous world. Scholarships are offered in specific subject areas that are most relevant to the development needs of the home country. This is so recipients can contribute to making a real and positive difference to their country when they return home at the end of the scholarship.
With a full Manaaki New Zealand Scholarship, scholars receive:
- full tuition fees.
- living allowance (a stipend) of NZ$531 per week. This will help with a scholar’s basic living expenses. If you commence your study programme online in your home country, your stipend will be adjusted to reflect the difference in living costs around the world.
- an establishment allowance of NZ$3000. This is to help with set-up costs in New Zealand. For example, you can use it for accommodation expenses, text books, or other study materials.
- medical insurance when you are in New Zealand.
- tutoring costs up to the value of NZ$1000, to assist with the cost of additional tutoring while you are studying if needed.
- travel to and from your own country. This is for travel from your own country at the start of the scholarship, and for return travel at the end of your scholarship.
- travel insurance.
- travel home during your scholarship. Scholars studying over 1.6 years are entitled to travel home to visit family. We usually allow for one or two trips, depending on the length of your scholarship. However, this is subject to border settings and other restrictions.
- reintegration allowance of NZ$1000. This is to help with set-up costs upon your return to your home country.
- help with research and thesis costs for many postgraduate students.
More information on the Manaaki New Zealand Scholarships, including the application process, can be found on the New Zealand Foreign Affairs & Trade website.