Find out about the many advantages to becoming part of the Massey team.
Massey employees can enrol in courses and programmes for approved Massey study. Tuition fees may be paid for by Massey provided you:
- Meet the NZ Government criteria for domestic fees rates
- Have a term of employment of at least three years duration or are employed as a Graduate Assistant or Assistant Lecturer
- Have made satisfactory progress in previous study when Massey has met tuition fees
In addition to minimum legal leave entitlements, in many cases (depending on your employment agreement) Massey offers a number of additional entitlements.
Superannuation and KiwiSaver
Massey offers the UniSaver superannuation, comprising of two schemes. Massey also offers the KiwiSaver savings scheme. Depending upon your eligibility, Massey will make contributions of up to 6.75% to the UniSaver scheme or up to 3% to the KiwiSaver scheme.
Workplace insurance provides financial security for you and your family if you are unable to earn an income through illness, accident or premature death. This special plan has been established in conjunction with the Universities of New Zealand to offer Massey employees reduced premiums. New staff members who enrol with the scheme within 75 days of commencing employment will be automatically accepted (some conditions apply). For more information please visit www.marsh.co.nz/massey or use these contacts:
Phone: 0800 467 637 or Email: Universities.firstname.lastname@example.org
Southern Cross health insurance is available for you and your immediate family at significantly reduced rates through the Massey University group scheme.
For more information about Southern Cross health insurance call 0800 GET COVER (0800 438 268) or visit southerncross.co.nz.
After one year of employment, if you are engaged in computer-related work for at least half of a full-time position, you shall be entitled to a free eye test. Further tests shall be provided at no less than two yearly intervals upon application through your manager. Depending on your circumstances you may also qualify for the cost of standard lenses/contact lenses and/or glasses frames.
Employee Assistance Programme
Employee Assistance Programme Services (EAP) provide professional/specialist assistance to Massey employees for a wide range of issues that can affect work performance. This confidential service is available to all employeesof 0.5 FTE or greater who have an employment agreement of 12 months or more.
Professional development and training
Massey University is committed to continuous employee training and development. Employees, with their manager's support, are able to access a wide variety of opportunities. Professional development is available to support on-going teaching, research, leadership development and technology.
Massey has excellent recreation centres on all three campuses and offers competitive discount membership rates to all employees.
Transport and parking
Massey University provides a free bus service to students and staff travelling to the Palmerston North campuses from within Palmerston North. All permanent and fixed-term Massey staff are able to use this service by presenting their staff ID card to the bus driver when they get on the bus heading to or from the campus.
Please note: From 18 April 2021 you will need a Massey confirmed Bee Card to receive free bus travel around Palmerston North City.
ANZ Bank offers Massey staff a special banking package that provides special discounts on home, personal and vehicle loans, as well as transaction and fee waivers on everyday banking and credit card fees and the ability to have pre-approved overdraft limits.
Bank of New Zealand
The Bank of New Zealand offers Massey staff a "Work Perks" package providing special deals on a range of banking services including transaction accounts, home loans, credit cards, insurances and investments.
Westpac New Zealand banking
As a government employee, Westpac New Zealand offers a 'Government Employee Pack' in which you can enjoy lower rates on many aspects of your personal banking. Benefits include no establishment fee and a discount off Westpac's standard interest rates on personal lending requirements; discounts on home, contents, vehicle or boat, and life insurance premiums; home loan benefits.
At Specsavers we take your eyes seriously and so does Massey University. That's why we've joined forces to help you look after your eyes whilst looking after your wallet. Our corporate deal with Massey University means we can offer you more.
Orbit Travel Massey
Orbit Travel Massey are delighted to extend the All of Government (AoG) fare offer to Massey staff and their travelling companions for all your leisure travel. The five participating carriers (Air New Zealand, Qantas Airways, Emirates, Singapore Airlines and Lufthansa/Swiss Airlines) offer some of the best value airfares in the market. These fares have flexible routing options and booking conditions. Orbit Travel Massey also offer discounted travel insurance, special Massey pricing for Budget Car and Truck Rentals, Thrifty Car Rentals and Hertz Car Rentals as well as discounted domestic accommodation at preferred hotels in Auckland, Wellington and Palmerston North.
Mag & Turbo
Mag & Turbo located in Palmerston North, Lower Hutt and their four stores in Auckland and Manukau provide Massey staff a special 'service' discount on the presentation of their ID card. By asking for the special service deal you will receive a voucher for over $1,000 worth of car servicing for just $99. The service voucher includes:
1 x Major Service – all essential engine maintenance, recommend once a year
2 x Standard Services – recommended after six months or 10,000 km
1 x Free 5 Wheel Balance and Complete Tyre Rotation
1 x Brake Fluid Flush
1 x Radiator Flush
1 x Free Suspension Inspection
2 x Free Brake Inspections and Adjustments
1 x Front or Rear Brake Disc Pad Replacement
2 x Free Puncture Repairs
1 x Free Piece of Mind Inspection (POM)
2 x Free Wheel Alignments
Please note this service voucher is for labour only and additional costs may be incurred for parts.
All the services mentioned on the voucher can be used for any make and model of car, including small trucks less than three tonnes. The services can be redeemed for up to 18 months from the date the voucher is first used. So make use of this golden opportunity to keep your car's maintenance up to date and only pay for materials used.
The suppliers below offer special or discounted prices upon production of your Massey staff ID card at the time of purchase. Please note that with some organisations these benefits are not available at all New Zealand wide outlets.
- Advantage Computers: PC's, notebooks, software and computer consumables.
- Autopro Auto-services (Glenfield Auckland): 10% Discount to all Massey staff on all automotive services.
- Advanced Massey Therapy (Palmerston North): A local business offering a range of massages to staff including Relaxation/Swedish Massage, Therapeutic/Deep Tissue Massage, Sports Massage and Pregnancy Massage. A one hour massage is $55 (normally $65) and a half hour massage is $30 (normally $35).
- Bridgestone New Zealand: Various special corporate savings on certain products and services. To see what is on offer visit Bridgestones website. You will need to provide the particular offer code listed on the website and your Massey staff ID card.
- Budget car & truck rentals: Massey pricing applies. (Quote account no. E700500).
- Colour City Studio (Newton Auckland): 30% Discount on all services and products to Massey staff and their families. This includes passport and ID photos, graduation photos and graduation regalia hire.
- Davenports Harbour Lawyers (Auckland): Special discounted rate on legal services to all staff. 25% off a standard conveyancing package (whether sale and purchase of property or refinancing) and a credit for a standard will (valued at $270 +gst) upon presentation of the attached vouchers. Davenports Harbour Lawyers Voucher
- DTSL: Mac computers, software and consumables.
- E-TV: Free viewing on programmes recorded from domestic and international television channels and internet channels. Visit http://www.etv.org.nz and login using your Massey email and user ID details.
- Gordon Harris – The Art & Graphic Store (Wellington): Art Supplies – 20% discount off all goods (excluding gift cards/vouchers, already discounted items and books), 10% discount off all books.
- Massey University Veterinary Teaching Hospital: Vet treatment, food, etc.
- Mitre 10 Mega (Palmerston North): Hardware and building supplies, housewares and electrical supplies, hand and power tools, painting and decorating, gardening and outdoor supplies. Savings dependent on mark up of item. Massey University staff are eligible for a trade max 3 discount.
- Noel Leeming: Electrical goods, appliances, etc. The Palmerston North store offers cost + 10% to staff. Special offer to Massey Staff, Students, Family and Friends for the period 29 November 2019 to 3 December (cost 5% or cost +7.5%) .
- Officemax: Stationery, office supplies, office furniture.
- Placemakers: General hardware, tools, building supplies.
- Red Hair and Beauty Salon (Palmerston North): 10% off all beauty services and haircuts as well as additional monthly discounts to new and existing clients.
- Restaurant Dhanak: Modern Indian Cuisine (Palmerston North): 10% discount. See here for details.
- Rosie O'Gradys Irish Pub (Palmerston North): 10% off all purchases.
- Thrifty Car Rentals: Massey pricing applies. (Quote 'Personal: 7298614495' when booking).
- Vehicle Testing New Zealand (VTNZ): Discounts on warrant of fitness costs.
Please note: Not all of these benefits are available to all staff members. Your entitlement will depend on the employment agreement you have been appointed on.
Page authorised by Web Content Manager
Last updated on Friday 05 March 2021
Still have questions about working at Massey?
See our FAQs for more information.