BackBorrowing from Another Library
- Massey University Library - books, journals and research support for staff and students
- Help and Instruction
- About Us
- University Archives
Interlibrary Loan Service
Interlibrary loan is a service for Massey staff and postgraduate students, enabling them to borrow items from other libraries in New Zealand and overseas.
These items are intended to support the learning, research, and teaching needs of the University. If you would like to obtain recreational reading by Interlibrary loan, please use your local public library.
- Placing a Request
- Methods of Payment
- How Long Will it Take?
- Urgent Requests
- Helpful Hints
Before you place an Interlibrary Loan request, please search Discover to make sure that your material is not available at any of the Massey libraries. If your material is available at another Massey library, please use the Inter-campus loan service form to request it.
Standard interlibrary loans do not incur a charge.
The Library charges $15.00 for each urgent interlibrary loan. Urgent requests are actioned within 24 hours, Monday to Friday, excluding public or University holidays.
If any item is particularly expensive to obtain, the Library may choose to negotiate about sharing the cost.
When you place your urgent request, please choose charge to a Departmental Account, OR charge to Library account.
For more information about paying charges on your Library Account, please read Fines, Charges & Overdues.
- Articles usually arrive within 1 week.
- Books available within New Zealand or Australia usually arrive within 1 - 2 weeks.
- Books requested from overseas will take longer, and delivery times can be difficult to accurately predict. If your request is not available within New Zealand or Australia, we will contact you to advise of delivery times.
Urgent requests are actioned within 24 hours, Monday to Friday, excluding public or University holidays.
- Articles available within New Zealand or Australia can generally be obtained within 24 hours.
- Articles available from other overseas libraries may take longer.
- Books will be requested immediately if available within New Zealand or Australia, but delivery times may vary. If your request is not available within New Zealand or Australia, we will contact you to advise of delivery times.
- Include your source of reference (e.g. database).
- Provide as much detail as possible.
- Use a separate form for each request.
- Return or renew books before the due date.
- Some books obtained from overseas, all theses and complete journal issues may only be used within the Library.
The University complies with the provisions of the Copyright Act 1994, and its license with Copyright Licensing Ltd.
- A copy shall be made only for the purposes of private study or research.
- Materials obtained through Interlibrary Loan may not be reproduced in Study Guides or placed in the Short Loan Collection without the copyright holder’s permission.
- Only a single copy will be made of the same article or part of a whole work.
- Up to two articles from the same issue of a journal can be requested, if these relate to the same subject matter.
- Fair dealing with a work for the purposes of research is permitted.
Page authorised by University Librarian
Last updated on Tuesday 13 April 2021