- Explore business
- About the Massey Business School
- Enterprise and partnerships
- MBA and Executive Education
- Explore accountancy
- Explore aviation
- Explore media and communication
- Explore business
- School of Management
The MPOWER newsletter started in January 2014. The newsletter offers MPOWER members a chance to read about recent and upcoming events. In addition, it highlights current research information, projects and collaborations, and enables MPOWER affiliates to advertise forthcoming events or research needs.
Please see below our published newsletters. If you would like to be added to the MPOWER mailing list so that you automatically receive the latest newsletter, please email MPOWER.
- newsletter 14 (June 2017).pdf (23,561 KB)
- newsletter 13 (March 2017).pdf (5,348 KB)
- newsletter 12 (November 2016).pdf (3,143 KB)
- newsletter 11 (August 2016).pdf (3,090 KB)
- newsletter 10 (May 2016)1.pdf (4,007 KB)
- MPOWER newsletter for Feb-March 2016.pdf (3,813 KB)
- Newsletter - December 2015.pdf (5,358 KB)
- Newsletter - September 2015.pdf (2,573 KB)
- Newsletter - June (final) 2015.pdf (2,863 KB)
- Newsletter - February 2015.pdf (3,112 KB)
- Newsletter - October 2014 (2,493 KB)
- Newsletter July 2014 (3,372 KB)
- Newsletter January 2014 (1,046 KB)
- newsletter 14 (June 2017).pdf (23,561 KB)
- newsletter 15 (Sept 2017).pdf (12,852 KB)
- newsletter 16 (Dec 2017).pdf (6,005 KB)
- newsletter 17 (Mar 2018).pdf (6,544 KB)
- newsletter 18 (June 2018).pdf (10,986 KB)
- newsletter 19 (Sept 2018).pdf (10,356 KB)
- newsletter 20 (Dec 2018).pdf (6,150 KB)
- newsletter 21 (Mar 2019).pdf (9,408 KB)
- newsletter 22 (June 2019).pdf (7,752 KB)
- newsletter 23 (Sept 2019)2.pdf (9,954 KB)
- newsletter 24 (Dec 2019)1.pdf (7,025 KB)
- newsletter 25 (Mar 2020).pdf (11,965 KB)
- newsletter 26 (June 2020).pdf (2,296 KB)
- newsletter 27 (July-August 2020)1.pdf (4,480 KB)
- newsletter 25 (Sept-Oct 2020).pdf (2,951 KB)
- newsletter 29 Jan-Feb 2021.pdf (3,759 KB)
- newsletter 30 (Mar 2021).pdf (4,350 KB)
Labour and Industry: A journal of the social and economic relations of work
In 2016, MPOWER joined with the Centre for Labour, Employment and Work (CLEW) at Victoria University of Wellington to successfully bid for the editorship of the Labour & Industry Journal. The Journal publishes research offering a multi-disciplinary perspective on social, organisational and institutional considerations and employment relations. The MPOWER and CLEW editorial team recently started a second term of stewardship of the Journal (2019-2021). We hope that, as MPOWER members, you'll find articles and materials in the Journal that directly relate to your people and work management concerns.
The editorial team members are:
- Editors-in-chief: Profs Jane Parker and Jim Arrowsmith (MPOWER, Massey) and Dr Noelle Donnelly (CLEW, Victoria);
- Assoc. editors: Drs Christian Yao (MPOWER/CLEW), Shane Scahill (MPOWER) and Stephen Blumenfeld (CLEW); and
- Book Review Editor: Dr Ozan Alakavuklar (MPOWER).
For more info., please consult the MPOWER website: Labour and Industry flyer.pdf (167 KB)
MPOWER Researcher Excellence Award
Visit the MPOWER 'Research and Expertise' page.
MPOWER in the media (selected items)
- Parker, J. 2019. How recruitment questions affect pay equity. Massey University at: https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/about-massey/news/article.cfm?mnarticle_uuid=0A5AFB9D-E37D-4FB4-BED8-387B5D653546
- Blumenfeld, S. 2019. Launch of Fair Pay Agreements working group. Tertiary Education Union, 27 May at: https://teu.ac.nz/news/fair-pay-agreements
- Welz, C. 2019. UK faces stressful Brexit week as EU tightens the screws on London. March. National Business Review at: https://player.vimeo.com/video/326449808
- Arrowsmith, J., Junaid, F., Taskin, N., Parker, J. and Scahill, S. 2018. Navigating people management and performance. Human Resources Magazine (HRINZ). 12 December, Wellington: HRINZ.
- Parker, J. and Taskin, N. 2018. The long and winding road: women’s career experiences and aspirations. Te Mohiotanga (CDANZ journal), 17 April, http://www.cdanz.org.nz/te-mohiotanga/the-long-and-winding-road-women-s-career-experiences-and-aspirations/278
Arrowsmith, J. NZ living wage needs urgent look, Massey University and AUT researchers say. 17 December, NZ Herald at: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11961344
Parker, J., Taskin, N., Griffiths, E. and Brook, A. 2017. Focus on Management: The Learning Business (IMNZ). Management Magazine, July, pp. 23-25, https://management.co.nz/magazine-issue/management-july-2017-0
Parker, J. 2017 on SMEs and training in New Zealand - National Business Review Special Report (24 March): NBR 24 March 2017 article on SMEs.pdf (6,033 KB)
- Parker, J. 2017. Living Wage - radio interview with Mark Sainsbury (Radio Live) (February): http://www.radiolive.co.nz/What-is-fair-pay-in-NZ/tabid/506/articleID/136994/Default.aspx
- Human Resources Magazine (HRINZ), Research Bites Series, December.
Carr, S.C., Parker, J., Arrowsmith, J., Haar, J. and Yao, C. 2016. ‘Living Wages and Employee Capabilities.’ Human Resources Magazine (HRINZ), Research Bites series, September, 32-33. Wellington: HRINZ.
- Parker, J. 2016. Survey shows more work needed to support women's careers. 11 December. Stuff at: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/87211387/survey-shows-more-work-needed-to-support-womens-careers
- About MPOWER - radio interview (item is called 'Calling all workers' for 3/11/15, from 12:50 minutes) at:
- MPOWER-The Warehouse Group research collaboration launch - 5 May 2015
- NZERS-MPOWER Living Wage seminar- 1 May 2014 (Wellington campus) Living Wage seminar (345 KB)
- Parker, J. 2014. 'Is a “Living Wage” an Opportunity?' Human Resources Magazine (HRINZ), Research Bites series, April/May. Wellington: HRINZ.
- MPOWER- Clarian HR's Employment Survey, October 2013:
- NZ Herald: "New Tech Leads to More Time on The Job: Survey"
- HRM/ER book launch – 5 June
- HRM Online
- North Shore Times
- Employment Today
- Researchers in the News
- David Ellis (PhD Student) – practitioner aspect (ex-pats) - 2 July 2013
- Christian Yao – HR Magazine (HRINZ) – “How to Manage Expatriates Successfully” – October 2013
Page authorised by kfarrow
Last updated on Wednesday 10 March 2021
Massey MPOWER News (selected items)
- Researchers from MPOWER, the Ending Poverty and Inequality Cluster (EPIC) in Massey University's School of Psychology, and the School of Management at AUT won the research team category of the Human Resources Institute of New Zealand (HRINZ) 2019 NZ HR Awards. Their application centred around their major Marsden-funded project on the Living Wage in New Zealand. The stream and overall winners of the awards were be announced at the HRINZ Award Dinner at the SkyCity Convention Centre on 28 February. For photos of the event, see: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3p8qb01c2cegzxr/AAC4ayR5Nroj1gAlh8gZcyIva?dl=0
- Distinguished Visitor, Prof. Dr. Christian Welz, of the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, was a guest at Massey from February-March 2019. His collaborations with MPOWER researchers have yielded a number of project areas, including the imminent production of a New Zealand national workplace profile. To see profiles for EU and other countries, please visit: https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/country
- MPOWER researchers presented their work-in-progress for their Marsden-funded project on the Living Wage in NZ to the Living Wage Movement of Aotearoa NZ, 25 July. Powerpoints available here: LWMANZ 2018 powerpoints.pptx (1,899 KB)
- MPOWER co-director, Prof. Jane Parker was the recipient of the HRINZ 2017 NZ HR Award - HR Researcher of the Year. Another MPOWER researcher, Professor Jarrod Haar (AUT) received the award in 2016.
- MPOWER researchers presented in sessions and a plenary session on the Living Wage at the British Universities Industrial Relations Association (BUIRA) Conference in Leeds, UK, June.
- MPOWER-TWG The Warehouse Group (TWG) and MPOWER launched their research collaboration partnership.
- MPOWER researchers, Professors Jane Parker and Jim Arrowsmith, were funded by the ILO to provide a situational analysis of employment (policy) in Nauru. More information about the study can be found here: Nauru employment policy project (3,427 KB)