Our Wellington and Manawatū campuses are open, Auckland remains closed at AL3. More information.
The PROMISE Study
(PRedictors linking Obesity and gut MIcrobiomE)
The gut microbiome: a new pathway to obesity prevention and metabolic health
If you are a woman, can you help? Would you like to be part of a new university study that will help us understand how to achieve a healthy body weight?
We are conducting a new research study focusing on women so we can better understand how to prevent obesity so women can achieve a healthy body weight. This important research is supported by the Health Research Council of New Zealand. We encourage all eligible women to participate in our study.
What is the research study all about?
We want to understand how diet, physical activity, sleep and taste affect the gut bacteria of New Zealand's European women and Pacific women and how this may be linked to long-term health and a healthy body weight.
Who can participate?
We are looking for women of NZ European or Pacific ethnicity who are:
- 18-45 years old
- Not pregnant and not breastfeeding
- No chronic illness such as heart disease, diabetes or cancer
What will I have to do for this study?
If you would like to help, you will visit our Human Nutrition Research Unit at Massey University's Auckland campus for two visits for about 2 hours each time. The two visits will be a fortnight apart. During your visits you will undergo tests including:
- Full body composition assessment, blood sample, urine sample and blood pressure measurement
- Taste testing
- Data collection relating to your diet, eating behaviour, sleep and physical activity
Between these visits, you will be asked to:
- Wear a watch and a small hip-worn device for 7 days to collect information on your physical activity and sleep patterns
- Record your physical activity for 7 days
- Collect small faecal (stool) samples
- Record what you eat for 5 days
What will I gain from participating in the study?
- Your free body composition assessment (normally valued at $125)
- $100 supermarket or petrol voucher
- Free buffet breakfast during your first visit
- Your blood test results including blood sugar, cholesterol and liver function tests
Ready to join us?
If you are interested in participating in the PROMISE Study, please complete our screening questionnaire here
If you have further enquiries click here for contact details
If you are interested in participating in the PROMISE Study, please complete our screening questionnaire
Page authorised by Head of School, School of Food and Nutrition
Last updated on Monday 06 January 2020