US veterans' benefits , Whaioha mā ngā Ika-a-whiro nō Amerika

You get one-on-one help if you want to use US veterans' education benefits to study with us. See if you qualify for veterans' benefits, how to apply and how we manage Veterans Affairs benefits at Massey.

The US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has approved Massey to manage education benefits for US military veterans. The department runs several education benefits for US veterans, including the:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty / Selected Reserve).

See education benefits for veterans on Veterans Affairs

Check if you qualify for education benefits on Veterans Affairs

How much you could get depends on your service record. Check out the guide to benefits rates on Veterans Affairs

Studying at Massey

If you’d like to study with us, get in touch to see if the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has already approved the qualification you’re interested in. If it hasn’t, we can ask them to approve the qualification. This may take some time so contact us as soon as you can.

We work with you as an individual so contact us to find out how we can help you.

Email Amy Odom, Senior Advisor – International Financial Aid, who is the financial aid administrator at Massey.


It's often more affordable to study at Massey than at a US university. As well as veterans' benefits, you may also qualify for US financial aid, which means you can borrow federal loans. You can use financial aid and VA education benefits to study full-time on campus only, not for distance study.

See estimated benefits at Massey on Veterans Affairs

US financial aid

Qualifications for international students

Living costs

Apply to Massey

Apply to study with us as early as possible so you can apply for a student visa and organise studying in New Zealand without too much stress.

Apply as an international student

You need a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to apply for veterans’ education benefits. You can apply for a certificate before or after applying to:

  • Massey as a new student
  • Immigration New Zealand for your student visa.

We recommend you apply for a certificate as soon as possible.

Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility on Veterans Affairs

Getting your veterans' benefits

When you get a Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), send a copy to us.

Email your Certificate of Eligibility to

Then we certify to VA that you're enrolled at Massey.

The VA deposits your benefits in your US bank account. You get a monthly amount towards your living expenses, including books and study supplies.

Read about payments from Veterans Affairs

We need to certify your enrolment each semester, using the VA definitions. These are:

  • 30 credits – half-time enrolment
  • 45 credits – three-quarter time enrolment
  • 60 credits – full-time enrolment.

We get funds directly from VA each semester to pay your tuition fees.

Contact us for help

Email if you have any questions.

Amy Odom

Senior Administrator
Student Fees and Compliance – Student Registry
Manawatū (Palmerston North)

Office location Student Registry Building, Room 1.38

Related content

Qualifications & courses for international students

Discover what you can study as an international student, including English language courses and foundation qualifications.

International students' tuition fees

See what you can expect to pay in tuition fees, depending on what you're studying and for how long.

Admission & enrolment

Find out how and when to apply to Massey, how to get credits for previous learning, and how to change and withdraw from study.