Fee refunds and credit for withdrawals , Whakahoki utu me te moni ina unu atu

If you need to withdraw from study know the dates and process, so you can do it quickly and correctly so you can get a refund or a credit for your fees if possible.

If you officially withdraw before 17 per cent of your first course has passed you can get the cost of your tuition fees credited to your student portal account.

You can withdraw from:

  • a course
  • several courses
  • your full qualification.

Depending on how many courses you're withdrawing from and when, your non-tuition fees may also be credited to your student portal account.

After 17 per cent of your course has passed you won't get a refund or credit, and there may be an impact on your academic record.

Discuss your study withdrawal plans with an academic advice team member

Difference between refunds and credits


If you withdraw on time, the cost of your course or tuition fees will be credited to your student portal account. You can then use any available credit balance to pay for your next course or tuition fees.


If you choose not to use the credit towards other courses or tuition fees you can apply to have the amount refunded instead. Refunds can be made to:

  • to your personal account if you paid for your fees yourself
  • back to your loan if StudyLink paid your fees
  • back to your sponsor, or employer, if you’re a sponsored student.

Dates for course withdrawals

Course withdrawal dates include the latest that you can withdraw without academic penalty, and the latest you can withdraw without financial penalty. These dates may be different.

You can find your course withdrawal dates on:

  • the page about your course on this website
  • your Confirmation of Enrolment letter, which you can view by logging in to the student portal

Dates and times are in New Zealand standard time.

Find a course or qualification

Discuss your study withdrawal plans with an academic advice team member

Before you withdraw

We offer a wide range of support options to help you continue studying, even when your personal circumstances change. Withdrawing from your courses, especially after the withdrawal date, should always be a last resort.

Before you withdraw from study, consider:

Find other support and services for students

How to withdraw

You need to withdraw from a course or qualification in the right way through the student portal. Sending an email to your tutor or the university is not an official withdrawal and will not mean the withdrawal happens on your student account.

You will not be eligible for a credit or refund if you haven’t officially withdrawn.

How to withdraw from courses or qualifications

Late withdrawals and exceptional circumstances

If you can’t complete your course, courses or qualification because of exceptional personal circumstances, and withdraw late, you may still get credit for your course fees if you apply for a fee appeal.

'Exceptional personal circumstances' are situations like bereavement or a personal emergency involving significant injury or illness.

You can apply for a fee appeal if you have:

  • withdrawn from your course, courses or qualification after the financial penalty date, and before your final exam or course end-date
  • experienced exceptional personal circumstances
  • submitted your fee appeal no more than six weeks after withdrawing from your course, courses or qualification.

If your fee appeal is successful, then a credit is made to your student portal account. This may be for the full amount or only part of your course or tuition fees. A fee appeal will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.

How to make a fee appeal

To make a fee appeal, log in to the student portal

You will need:

  • a completed Fee appeal application and supporting documentation form
  • evidence of exceptional personal circumstances, such as a medical certificate or letter from a counsellor.

Make an appointment with a counsellor

Make an appointment with the student health centre

International Student Administration Fee

If you are an international student, and you withdraw from all study at Massey, you may be charged an International Administration Fee to cover the cost of administration.

Discuss your study withdrawal plans with an academic advice team member

StudyLink student loans and allowances

If you used a student loan to pay your fees, any credit of fees for withdrawn course will be refunded to StudyLink.

If you make any change to your study, including withdrawing from your courses, notify StudyLink immediately.

Learn about withdrawals from study and StudyLink

Contact us

Get in touch with us early about money matters so we can help and point you in the right direction. We want you to succeed with your study at Massey and are here to help.

If you're a current student, include your student ID number when you contact us.

Contact us

Related content

Changing or withdrawing from study

Find out how to make changes in your study including adding and withdrawing from courses and qualifications.

Planning your study

Find the information you need to plan your qualification, courses and study workload at Massey.

The student portal

Log in to the student portal.