Recognition of prior learning , Te whakamana ako o mua

If you have studied before or have relevant work or life experience, you may be able to get credits towards the qualifications you intend to study with us.

Getting credits for formal and informal learning you have done before is known as 'recognition of prior learning'. Credit for formal learning such as previous study at another university is also know as cross credits. The credits can be put towards your study with us.

What you can get credit for

Formal learning

You can get credit towards your Massey study from study you have done either with us or another tertiary institution. You may or may not have finished the study.

Informal learning

You can get credit for 'informal learning' experiences – or skills, knowledge and other attributes you have developed through:

  • training
  • work experience
  • life experiences.

How many credits you can use

Unless the regulations for your qualification state something different, you need to study the following minimum credits for your current qualification at Massey. You can use credits from learning you have done before to make up the remaining amount.

360-credit undergraduate degrees

A minimum of 105 credits have to be studied at Massey including:

  • at least 60 300-level credits in the degree, including the 300-level credits needed for a major subject or subjects
  • at least 30 credits in your minor subject (where a degree includes this), including at least 15 300-level credits.

480-credit undergraduate degrees

You need to complete 120 credits at Massey, including at least three-quarters of the highest-level courses.

Postgraduate or graduate qualifications

You need to complete half of the credits needed, including all the research credits for a postgraduate qualification.

If you've completed a:

  • 120-credit postgraduate diploma, or a
  • 120-credit bachelor honours degree at Massey

you may be allowed to credit the full 120 credits toward a 180-credit master's degree. You'll need to complete all the research or professional practice credits required for the master's.

Sub-degree or undergraduate diploma or certificate

Half of the required credits need to be studied at Massey.

How to apply

If you are a current student, or have accepted an Offer of Place for the qualification you want to study, you can apply by going to the Qualifications and courses tab in the student portal.

Log in to the student portal

Assessing informal learning credits

To have your informal learning experiences credited to study at Massey, we use assessments such as:

  • assessment of a portfolio of supporting materials
  • use of a challenge examination
  • quality-assured micro-credentials or short courses assessments
  • a combination of methods.

We will give you the credit if you are able to show your capability at the same level as students who enrol in and pass the course.

For more information see the recognition of prior learning regulations.

Evidence for informal learning applications

When you apply to have your previous informal learning recognised, you will select the specific courses you want to credit the learning towards. You will need to show how your informal learning aligns with the learning outcomes stated on your chosen courses, including by supplying supporting materials.

You must provide:

  • a copy of your CV with your application.

Other supporting materials you could use to show how your learning aligns with course learning outcomes include:

  • a portfolio illustrating your achievements.
  • a table you have created with the course number and learning outcomes on one side and information on how the learning outcome is met on the other side (give specific examples)
  • a letter from your employer
  • a relevant job description
  • documented relevant projects
  • evidence of any completed professional or short courses through work, or other means.

Some qualifications need extra documentation to assess your informal learning credits.

Bachelor of Construction

The documents you need to supply are:

  • a copy of your current curriculum vitae (CV)
  • two employer references confirming completion of at least 300 hours of work experience in the construction industry
  • a brief report (two pages maximum) outlining how you have met the requirements for the courses you are seeking credit for.

Bachelor of Aviation Management

One way to gain recognition of prior learning is if you hold a Commercial Pilots Licence (CPL). You will need to supply evidence of the issue of the licence. Please supply a photocopy of all pages.

You will usually have an Instrument Rating noted on the licence and need to provide evidence of at least 250 logged flight hours in your log book. Please supply a photocopy of the relevant page of your log book that clearly shows your total flying hours.

For other ways to gain recognition of prior learning see Massey Business School qualifications below.

Massey Business School qualifications

For all qualifications please supply a document showing how each of the learning outcomes for the courses for which you are seeking recognition of prior learning aligns with your prior learning.

For example, a table document with the course number and learning outcomes on one side and information on how the learning outcome is met on the other side. Please provide specific examples.

College of Creative Arts qualifications

You will need to provide a portfolio in either digital or physical format. We prefer digital format which can be uploaded in the student portal.

A portfolio is a selection of your creative work that shows your creative potential. It can include examples from school or your own projects at home or in the community.

Find out more about College of Creative Arts portfolios

Due dates for applying

The due dates for applying for recognition of prior learning are shown in these tables. If you can't supply all the documentation by the due dates please apply anyway. You can submit the documents later.


2024 due dates for applying for recognition of prior learning
For courses in: New domestic students New international students Returning students
Semester One or Double Semester 2 February 2024 31 October 2023 2 February 2024
Semester Two 21 June 2024 1 May 2024 21 June 2024
Summer School 31 October 2024 31 October 2024 31 October 2024

Fees for recognition of prior learning

You need to pay to get your previous learning recognised.

Find the recognition of prior learning (cross-credit) fee

To apply for credit from a qualification studied somewhere other than Massey, apply for credit then pay the cross credit and transfer of credit fee.

To apply for credit from Massey qualification you didn't finish please contact us.