Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange) – CPSTX

Explore New Zealand while you study at Massey, a world-ranked university offering excellent courses.

Type of qualification

Certificate of Proficiency

Level of study

Varied study levels

Our Certificate of Proficiency is offered at different levels depending on the level of the courses you want to take.

More about study levels

NZQF level 6

Our courses follow the New Zealand Qualification Framework (NZQF) levels.

Find out more about NZQF levels

Time to complete

6 months full-time
Up to 8 years part-time

Where you can study

Auckland campus
Distance and online
Wellington campus
Manawatū campus (Palmerston North)

International students

International students are not New Zealand citizens or residents.

Definition of New Zealand citizens and residents

Open to international students on campus in New Zealand, or studying online outside New Zealand

Study a Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange) – CPSTX

The Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange) is a good fit if:

  • you are a student-athlete interested in developing your skills, strength and stamina
  • want an internship
  • are looking for field work, field study and other experiences outside the classroom.

Entry requirements

Admission to Massey

All students must meet university entrance requirements to be admitted to the University.

Specific requirements

To enter the Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange) you will:

  • have completed at least one year of successful university level study in your home country
  • have permission from your home university to undertake study at Massey University
  • have a cumulative GPA for all higher education work of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent.

English language requirements

To study this qualification you must meet Massey University's English language standards.

You will need to provide verified copies of all academic transcripts for studies taken at all universities other than Massey University.

Prior learning and exemptions

For information on prior learning and exemptions or other questions, contact us through the Get advice button on this page.

English language skills

If you need help with your English language skills before you start university, see our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses.

Official regulations

To understand what you need to study and must complete to graduate read the official rules and regulations for this qualification.

Returning students

For returning students, there may be changes to the majors and minors available and the courses you need to take. Go to the section called ‘Transitional Provisions’ in the Regulations to find out more.

In some cases the qualification or specialisation you enrolled in may no longer be taking new enrolments, so may not appear on these web pages. To find information on the regulations for these qualifications go to the Massey University Calendar.

Please contact us through the Get advice button on this page if you have any questions.

Structure of the Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange)

You will enrol in and take courses alongside other Massey University students. Study Abroad students normally take four courses equating to 60 Massey University credits during a semester.

Details about choosing courses, life at Massey, and student testimonials can be found on our Study Abroad pages.

Many courses above 100-level have prerequisite requirements (preparatory course/s or other entry requirements). If you believe you have passed the prerequisites, you will need to apply for the courses using the Special Request/Special Permission button on the Course enrolment page in the Portal.

Courses and specialisations

Key terms

Each qualification has its own specific set of courses. Some universities call these papers. You enrol in courses after you get accepted into Massey.
Course code
Each course is numbered using 6 digits. The fourth number shows the level of the course. For example, in course 219206, the fourth number is a 2, so it is a 200-level course (usually studied in the second year of full-time study).
Each course is worth a number of credits. You combine courses (credits) to meet the total number of credits needed for your qualification.
Some qualifications let you choose what subject you'd like to specialise in. Your major or endorsement is what you will take the majority of your courses in.

Credit summary

45-60 credits

  • Pre-approved courses – 45‑60 credits per semester

Search for a course

Course planning key

Courses that need to be completed before moving onto a course at the next level. For example, a lot of 200-level courses have 100-level prerequisite courses.
Courses that must be completed at the same time as another course are known as corequisite courses.
Some courses are restricted against each other because their content is similar. This means you can only choose one of the offered courses to study and credit to your qualification.

Related study options