Certificate of Proficiency Undergraduate – CPUND

Pursue an interest or prepare for further study. This Certificate is for those intending to complete only one or two courses at undergraduate level.

Type of qualification

Certificate of Proficiency

Level of study

Varied study levels

Our Certificate of Proficiency is offered at different levels depending on the level of the courses you want to take.

More about study levels

NZQF level 7

Our courses follow the New Zealand Qualification Framework (NZQF) levels.

Find out more about NZQF levels

Time to complete

Normally only available for part-time study.

Where you can study

Auckland campus
Distance and online
Wellington campus
Manawatū campus (Palmerston North)

International students

International students are not New Zealand citizens or residents.

Definition of New Zealand citizens and residents

Not open to international students

Study a Certificate of Proficiency Undergraduate – CPUND

The Certificate of Proficiency (Undergraduate) is not a formal qualification. You should only apply for this certificate if you are intending to only complete one or two undergraduate courses. For example, these may be interest courses, or you may want to study them to prepare you for studying another qualification in the future. Alternatively, if you are studying a qualification at another university, you may want to study a course at Massey to credit back to your qualification.

Entry requirements

Admission to Massey

All students must meet university entrance requirements to be admitted to the University.

Specific requirements

You will need to meet the entry requirements for the courses you choose.

Prior learning and exemptions

For information on prior learning and exemptions or other questions, contact us through the Get advice button.

English language skills

If you need help with your English language skills before you start university, see our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses.

Official regulations

To understand what you need to study and must complete to graduate read the official rules and regulations for this qualification.

Returning students

For returning students, there may be changes to the majors and minors available and the courses you need to take. Go to the section called ‘Transitional Provisions’ in the Regulations to find out more.

In some cases the qualification or specialisation you enrolled in may no longer be taking new enrolments, so may not appear on these web pages. To find information on the regulations for these qualifications go to the Massey University Calendar.

Please contact us through the Get advice button on this page if you have any questions.

Structure of the Certificate of Proficiency Undergraduate

If you plan to study courses as a pathway to a certificate, diploma or bachelor degree, you should select courses that will count toward your intended qualification.

You can study a maximum of 60 credits (four 15 credit undergraduate courses) per year.

You may take 60 credits providing the courses you choose are not substantially similar to an existing qualification. In this case, you would need to apply for the existing qualification.

Many courses above 100-level have prerequisite requirements (preparatory course/s or other entry requirements). If you have studied previously and believe you have passed the prerequisites, you will need to apply for the courses using the Special Request/Special Permission button on the Course enrolment page in the Portal. If your study was completed at another institution, you will need to provide academic records as evidence.

You will need to re-apply for admission into the qualification each year you want to study a course as a Certificate of Proficiency.

As the Certificate of Proficiency is not a formal qualification, you will not be able to graduate with it or receive a graduation certificate. However, your official academic record will provide evidence of your study.

Alternatively, you may like to consider a Certificate in Arts, Certificate in Business Studies or Certificate in Science and Technology, depending on your interests. These formal qualifications consist of four courses each and provide a pathway to relevant diplomas and bachelor degrees.

If you are considering applying for a Certificate of Proficiency, please click on the Get advice button or  make an appointment with an Academic Adviser.


See the regulations for this qualification.

Courses and specialisations

Key terms

Each qualification has its own specific set of courses. Some universities call these papers. You enrol in courses after you get accepted into Massey.
Course code
Each course is numbered using 6 digits. The fourth number shows the level of the course. For example, in course 219206, the fourth number is a 2, so it is a 200-level course (usually studied in the second year of full-time study).
Each course is worth a number of credits. You combine courses (credits) to meet the total number of credits needed for your qualification.
Some qualifications let you choose what subject you'd like to specialise in. Your major or endorsement is what you will take the majority of your courses in.

Credit summary

15-60 credits

  • Undergraduate courses – 15‑60 credits

Search for a course

Course planning key

Courses that need to be completed before moving onto a course at the next level. For example, a lot of 200-level courses have 100-level prerequisite courses.
Courses that must be completed at the same time as another course are known as corequisite courses.
Some courses are restricted against each other because their content is similar. This means you can only choose one of the offered courses to study and credit to your qualification.

Fees and scholarships

Fees, student loans and free fees scheme

Your tuition fees may be different depending on the courses you choose. Your exact fees will show once you have chosen your courses.

There will also be some compulsory non-tuition fees and for some courses, there may also be charges for things such as study resources, software, trips and contact workshops.

Already know which courses you're going to choose?

You can view fees for the courses that make up your qualification on the course details pages.

Student loans (StudyLink) and Fees Free scheme

You may be eligible for a student loan to help towards paying your fees.

The New Zealand Government offers fees-free tertiary study for eligible domestic students. Find out more about the scheme and your eligibility on the Fees Free website. To use the site's eligibility checking tool, you will need your National Student Number.

Current and returning Massey students can find their National Student Number in the student portal.

Scholarship and award opportunities

Search our scholarships and awards

Fees disclaimer

This information is for estimation purposes only. Actual fees payable will be finalised on confirmation of enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, all fees shown are quoted in New Zealand dollars and include Goods and Services Tax, if any. Before relying on any information on these pages you should also read the University's Disclaimer Notice.

Related study options