Where you can study
International students are not New Zealand citizens or residents.
Specialise in Digital Transformation for your Master of Business Administration at Massey
In this specialisation you will develop capability in managing the design and execution of new structures and processes to assist organisations to withstand the wave of digital disruption sweeping industry. You will also develop an understanding of how to develop new competitive digital business models and platform-based product offerings.
Emergent trends including data analytics, artificial intelligence, sensors (in the Internet of Things), and a focus on the customer experience through automation, are disrupting the business models of industries. They require novel market approaches and organisational restructuring to deliver value in a digital-platform orientated world.In the MBA (Digital Transformation) teaching is delivered by an experienced technology manager, who has been at the forefront of innovative technology adoption. With a focus on agile management methods, you will become literate and competent in market disruption management in ways that will enhance your global appeal to modern digitally focused organisations.
This specialisation is only available online. The other online option is Global Business. If you are looking for on-campus options, you can select Global Business or the Business Sustainability specialisations. You also have the option of an MBA without specialisation.
You'll get access to world-class online technology 24/7 and engaging learning methods. This includes online classes and team-meetings, along with forums and group-work. This allows you to network with and learn directly from your peers and faculty.
Find out more on the Master of Business Administration page
The QS World University Ranking by Subject ranks Massey in the top 350 universities worldwide in this subject area. Shanghai Ranking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2022 ranks Massey in the top 201-300 universities globally.
Our AMBA (Association of MBAs) accreditation encourages our programme to ensure students have:
- A positive impact on themselves, organisations, and society for the benefit of all stakeholders
- Understand and respond through sound business practices to the challenges facing the planet
- Lead themselves and others in the achievement of organisational goals within the context of sustainable development, contributing effectively to a diverse and inclusive team environment
- Think critically and make decisions with integrity based on complex information, understanding the overall impact of managerial decision-making
- Understand organisations and their stakeholders, and have an awareness of public policy and the regulatory environment
- Integrate functional knowledge and apply strategic management skills at a senior level in changing business environments
- Operate effectively and respectfully in cross-cultural settings
- Enhance their careers and commitment to lifelong learning
Related qualification: EMBA
If you have 7+ years full-time work experience (with three of those in management) and you are looking for executive face-to-face learning over 10 weekends in less than two years, consider our Executive MBA programme.
A Master of Business Administration in Digital Transformation is a good fit if you:
If you study full-time, you’ll take 180 credits over a period of 12 months.
This is a parts-based qualification. For progression to Part Two you must have achieved a B- grade average across the courses completed in Part One.
To complete the Digital Transformation specialisation you must pass 60 credits in Digital Transformation which includes two courses (15 credits each) plus the Action Learning Project (30 credits).
To understand what you need to study and must complete to graduate read the official rules and regulations for this qualification.
You should read these together with all other relevant Statutes and Regulations of the University including the General Regulations for Postgraduate Degrees, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Postgraduate Certificates.
For returning students, there may be changes to the majors and minors available and the courses you need to take. Go to the section called ‘Transitional Provisions’ in the Regulations to find out more.
In some cases the qualification or specialisation you enrolled in may be no longer be taking new enrolments, so may not appear on these web pages. To find information on the regulations for these qualifications go to the Massey University Calendar.
Please contact us through the Get advice button on this page if you have any questions.
Courses you can enrol in
Course planning key
- Courses that need to be completed before moving onto a course at the next level. For example, a lot of 200-level courses have 100-level prerequisite courses.
- Courses that must be completed at the same time as another course are known as corequisite courses.
- Some courses are restricted against each other because their content is similar. This means you can only choose one of the offered courses to study and credit to your qualification.
Part One Subject courses
Course code: 115791 Digital Transformation credits 15
Applied study of the use of digital technology to solve business problems and exploit new business opportunities.View full course details
Course code: 115799 Digital Design and Disruption credits 15
Applied and experiential study of how digital technologies have disrupted various industries and how businesses can design digitally based innovations to achieve competitive advantage.View full course details
Part Two Subject course
Course code: 115812 Action Learning Project credits 30
Supervised team-based project focused on deliverable improvement of practices in an existing business or development of a new business opportunity, drawing on knowledge from multiple business disciplines.View full course details
Admission to Massey
All students must meet university entrance requirements to be admitted to the University.
This is a selected entry qualification. This means there are a number of extra requirements you must meet.
To enter the Master of Business Administration you will:
- have been awarded or qualified for a relevant bachelor’s degree, having achieved at least a B- grade average in the highest level courses, or equivalent
- have completed at least three years of relevant postgraduate practical work experience
- have been selected into the qualification on the basis of selection process which may include a written application, references and practical exercises.
Application closing date
There are three intakes each year.
- Third intake: Applications for the third intake close on 16 October 2023 for domestic students and on 25 September 2023 for international students.
- First intake: Applications for the first intake close on 19 February 2024 for domestic students and on 22 January 2024 for international students
- Second intake: Applications for the second intake close on 17 June 2024 for domestic students and on 20 May 2024 for international students
- Third intake: Applications for the third intake close on 14 October 2024 for domestic students and on 16 September 2024 for international students.
Documents you need to provide
You need to supply with your application the following documentation:
- copies of official transcripts of all previous university and/or professional qualifications
- a full CV showing at least three years work experience
- an application statement covering supplied questions (video or in writing)
- a passport-sized photo for identification purposes.
Questions to address in your application statement (video or written):
- Compared with other choices you considered for your studies, what made you select Massey?
- Why have you chosen to do an MBA at this stage in your career?
- How will you draw on your unique skills and experiences to contribute to your cohort’s MBA experience?
- There will be group work during your studies. Tell us about the ways you have managed to perform in groups previously.
- The MBA will require substantial work in class and out of class. In the past, how have you managed your time to be effective?
- What are your career plans following your MBA graduation and how will the MBA help you achieve them?
The work experience requirement ensures that you are able to contribute effectively and participate from a position of experience and knowledge. This means that when you have fewer than the required 3 years of work experience, we are unlikely to consider you for this MBA.
English language requirements
To study this qualification you must meet Massey University's English language standards.
Fees and scholarships
Master of Business Administration tuition fees
The domestic MBA online tuition fee for 2023 is approximately NZ$45,000 with completion within two years.
The domestic offshore MBA online tuition fee for 2023 is approximately NZ$39,100 with completion within two years.
The offshore online international tuition fee for 2023 is approximately NZ$48,300 with completion within two years.
The above do not include non-tuition fees and living costs. International students also need look at the international student insurance fees tab.
Please note that the total fees for the qualification are indicative only, as course fees can increase each year.
The fees include ebooks and study materials.
Scholarships and award opportunities
- New Zealand Institute of Management Foundation Scholarship
- Massey university International Postgraduate Excellence Scholarship
- Find more scholarships and awards
Student loans (StudyLink) and Fees Free scheme
Domestic students may be eligible for a student loan to help towards paying your tuition fees and non tuition fees.
If you have studied fewer than 60 credits previously, the New Zealand Government offers fees-free tertiary study for eligible domestic students. Find out more about the scheme and your eligibility on the Fees Free website. To use the site's eligibility checking tool you will need your National Student Number.
Current and returning Massey students can find their National Student Number in the student portal.
This information is for estimation purposes only. Actual fees payable will be finalised on confirmation of enrolment. Unless otherwise stated, all fees shown are quoted in New Zealand dollars and include Goods and Services Tax, if any. Before relying on any information on these pages you should also read the University's Disclaimer Notice.
Careers and job opportunities
No matter in which industry you have worked and which prior qualification you hold, the Massey Master of Business Administration MBA can help you progress into leadership and management roles quickly, and in many sectors, whether in private business, government or non-profit entities.
As a practically trained, globally competent MBA graduate, you are considered a generalist manager and can position yourself for leadership roles across the board in New Zealand or overseas.
The MBA is specifically designed for emerging managers and leaders who want to broaden their career opportunities by combining a specialist undergraduate degree with a broad and widely applicable MBA qualification. With its strong practical focus, the Massey MBA builds on your previous work experience and adds new relevant learnings you can instantly apply at work. This will be a tremendous advantage when you apply for management and leadership positions.
The Massey “Career Accelerator”, exclusively offered to MBA and EMBA students and alumni, will prepare you for identifying the best next career move, excelling in your job interviews - and then moving into exciting new roles.
Massey Career Centre
Massey Career Centre is here to help you build the skills and knowledge you’ll need in your career. You can access our services online or in person, both while you study and after you graduate.
MBA alumni network
After you graduate from the MBA, you can access our MBA alumni network for your professional networking. It also offers opportunities to pursue more learning which will assist you with remaining current as a manager and leader.
This specialisation is only available to international student studying online from overseas, or when you study online in New Zealand as a domestic student. It is not available if you study in New Zealand as an international student. Please have a look at our other specialisation options, Global Business and Business Sustainability which are available on campus.
Accreditations and rankings
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Massey Business School is rated in the top 5% of global business colleges by AACSB International.
QS Ranking - Business Management Studies
Massey University is ranked by QS (Quacquarelli Symonds) as one of the top 350 universities for business and management.
ShanghaiRanking – Business Administration
Massey University is ranked #1 in New Zealand for business administration by ShanghaiRanking.
This international magazine for executives ranked Massey's EMBA in its top MBA qualifications for 2023.